Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lee press accessories

3 posters

Go down

lee press accessories Empty lee press accessories

Post by Eindecker Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:49 pm

titan reloading sells the "consistent crimp" torque handle for the lee classic press, some say on a different forum its a good thing to get.. what do you guys think?

And what are you thoughts on the lee triangle press stand they make, that needs you to hang a brick from it?

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

lee press accessories Empty Re: lee press accessories

Post by Merick Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:24 pm

Just run the oem handle to the stop at the end of its travel range with the die set accordingly. We pistol shooters aren't neck sizing or crimping by feel, I'm not sure that anyone is.
The closest thing i know of is F-class keeps track of neck tension with a seating force gauge aparatus, but that is superfluous for pistol, and arguably also for rifle.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:52 am

Merick wrote:Just run the oem handle to the stop at the end of its travel range with the die set accordingly.  We pistol  shooters aren't neck sizing or crimping by feel, I'm not sure that anyone is.  
The closest thing i know of is F-class keeps track of neck tension with a seating force gauge aparatus, but that is superfluous for pistol, and arguably also for rifle.

Im a cheap ass myself, spent ALL my fun money on primers and powder this week. Still need the preperation H from that, But at least primers have a better investment return then a savings account. 

Its seems like an interesting idea, but Im at the stage with my 44 that im not sure if im getting correct crimp tension. I know my 38/357 are.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:29 am

I thought about these for a while and decided that even if I found a handle setting I liked, moving the die also puts it on a different place one the horsepower/leverage curve of the press, which is parabolic and not linear. So a 10 ft lbs setting on the handle wouldn't equate to anything if the die was off a turn the next time I set it up.

Also torque wrenches are $12 at harbor freight, you could probably make your own with a budget of $40 or less.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:35 am

I have a Load Master and the aftermarket turrets, which allow you to set "stops" on the vertical travel of the rotating shell plate. No matter the force/torque required, I hit the stops each pull of the handle. The dies are set accordingly. I had to anchor my reloading table to the wall to prevent any movement.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:05 am

I need something to get me out of using the lee handpress, its fun for short times, but its got to much flex. Perhaps it really isnt for resizing rifle cases after all..WIsh it had the fancy priming system that is on the cast press..

wonder if it could be adapted for that.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down