Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buy another press or something in between?

+3
front sight
Rob Kovach
beeser
7 posters

Go down

Buy another press or something in between? Empty Buy another press or something in between?

Post by beeser 9/25/2014, 10:01 am

I've been loading .45 ACP exclusively on my Dillon XL650 so far but plan to load 9mm and .38 special soon.  I read the instructions on changing calibers and found the process somewhat lengthy especially if the primer size is different.  Do some of you just get another press for an often used caliber?  Is there a more efficient way to change calibers on a press but just changing sections of the press?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Buy another press or something in between? Empty Re: Buy another press or something in between?

Post by Rob Kovach 9/25/2014, 10:12 am

Once you do it a few times, even though there are several steps, it converts very easily and quickly.

You could always change your .45 brass to small primer stuff.  Most people give that stuff away and you wont need to worry about other shooters taking it!  Then you won't have to change your primer setup back and forth.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Buy another press or something in between? Empty Re: Buy another press or something in between?

Post by front sight 9/25/2014, 10:19 am

It's really up to you. Is it worth it to you to buy a new press for different primer sizes? Keep in mind that you'll still have to change shell plates. Do you have room on your bench? I do all my loading on one press (Hornady LnL). There certainly are some who have several progressive presses but I would think it is more common to have a progressive and a single stage press instead. Changing calibers where there is a primer size difference is a bit of a pain, but it gives me an opportunity to clean things off before the next batch. I don't know what's involved with changing primer size on a Dillon, but I suspect it's not that much different from the Hornady.

In the end, it all comes down to resources ($$ and space) vs inconvenience. Not unlike lots of things in life!  Smile

front sight

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 9/25/2014, 10:53 am

I've got 5 different quick change toolheads setup along with separate small and large primer assemblies.  Takes less than 10 minutes to change a caliber, that's with a casefeeder.  I'd have multiple presses if it wasn't for space and $$ limitations.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 9/25/2014, 3:29 pm

I was also thinking of purchasing another manufacturer's press for comparison purposes but realized that someone had already done that.  I ended up ordering this morning a caliber conversion kit, a quick change powder measure kit and a small priming system to hopefully make the change easier.  I'm also thinking of setting up my bench to allow easy removal of the press using a T-Track (link below).  Has anyone tried this?
http://www.ptreeusa.com/ttrackproducts.htm

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/25/2014, 6:06 pm

If you do the track do it right.  Set it up so all you have to do is loosen the retaining bolts and slide the press down to the end of the bench out of the way, no need to remove it.

I have a buddy that did his that way.  The track was already in the used woodworking bench he picked up.  Initially he was going to remove it I suggested he put a second one in for the back set of bolts so he could slide it to the side.  Worked slick!

I haven't seen/talked to him in a while but I'll see if he'll take some pictures.

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 9/25/2014, 7:16 pm

dronning wrote:If you do the track do it right.  Set it up so all you have to do is loosen the retaining bolts and slide the press down to the end of the bench out of the way, no need to remove it.

I have a buddy that did his that way.  The track was already in the used woodworking bench he picked up.  Initially he was going to remove it I suggested he put a second one in for the back set of bolts so he could slide it to the side.  Worked slick!

I haven't seen/talked to him in a while but I'll see if he'll take some pictures.

Dave
Thanks Dave!  I would like to see his setup if possible.  I initially got the idea after seeing it used on ultimatereloader.com.  There are even some base plates available specifically for the Dillon presses online but I forgot now where on ran across them.  I have plenty of space available for a dedicated reloading bench but I think the T-Track offers more than just saving space.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO 9/27/2014, 7:03 pm

Beezer, if you are adding a press for a single pistol caliber, you might look at the Dillon Square Deal. Its much smaller, and works great. It also comes with the dies for one caliber. I can load faster on it than my 550B, because it auto indexes like your 650.

I loaded well over 100K rounds on my SD when I shot both IPSC and Idpa for close to 20 years. I wore out a primer assembly, which Dillon sent me a new one for free. But it still run flawlessly.

Buying the conversion kits, especially if you go with the extra powder dispenser, tool head, and dies, your close in price to a SD already set up and ready to go.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 9/27/2014, 7:38 pm

beeser,

I haven't got in touch with my friend yet but I found out he sold off everything, house, guns, and his cars.  He moved back down south where he grew up due to job loss and health reasons.  He is kind of a private guy and didn't tell any of us what was going on. 

Thanks for the thread I wouldn't have found this out until maybe it was too late.

Back on topic I'd just do the quick change kits they don't take long even with a primer change.

- Dave

I have quick change kits set up for the following Dillons 

Dillon 550 (with case feeder for pistol & .223 with mods) - 38spl, 357, 9MM, 45ACP, 45LC, 45-70,  223, 6MM Hagar, 308, 30-06.....
Dillon 1050 Super with case feeder and a MRBullet Feeder - 45ACP, 9MM, 223

I also have a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme - pretty much gathering dust
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 9/28/2014, 10:38 am

KenO wrote:... Buying the conversion kits, especially if you go with the extra powder dispenser, tool head, and dies, your close in price to a SD already set up and ready to go.
Good point and probably the best way to go but I already ordered the extra stuff for the 650.  It should arrive in a few days.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 9/28/2014, 10:49 am

Standard dies are really NICE. You can use them in virtually any press and are not tied to single company. Admittedly, I only load shortline highpower rifle loads on my Dillon and it still retains it's RL450 frame. But I load multiple pistol (.38, 9mm, 45 acp, and 45 colt) on my RCBS piggyback. I can also run any of those dies in a single stage or even a hand press if only need a few rounds and don't want to go through the setup process of the press with a different load or caliber. 

I almost bought a Square Deal back in the 90's before I settled on the piggyback. I think that it would have worked, but even then the idea of non standard proprietary dies was a problem for me. 

Enough of this electronic communication, let's go SHOOT!!!
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down