Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Centre hold vs six O'clock for precision shooting

4 posters

Go down

Centre hold vs six O'clock for precision shooting Empty Centre hold vs six O'clock for precision shooting

Post by hammerli Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:10 am

I know this topic has been discussed thread bare.
In 1981 I was at Ft Benning and met the great Eric Buljung who was shooting with a Centre Hold and everyone there said it was better for "Calling" and you did not have to change sights when shooting Centre Fire Duel. 

Later I was influenced by the European school and kept a sub 6 hold.
In 1986 I shot Centre Fire with a revolver and since the sights were not that fine I just used a Centre Hold for precision and did well.
over time i switched back to Sub 6 hold and have stayed there but as I get older and eyes get "weaker" I wonder if I should make the change and hold centre for precision and duell.
Apologies for raising this old subject again

hammerli

Back to top Go down

Centre hold vs six O'clock for precision shooting Empty Re: Centre hold vs six O'clock for precision shooting

Post by joem5636 Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:02 am

Center hold works better for me at 80. I found 6 o’clock to be very sensitive to lighting conditions even back in my 30’s. Understanding that you don’t need a sharp image of the target is the first step. I use glasses with +1D added to my distance prescription to see the front sight and a somewhat fuzzy target.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Centre hold vs six O'clock for precision shooting Empty Re: Centre hold vs six O'clock for precision shooting

Post by TonyH Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:24 am

If YOUR eyes can align the sights against a black background, try center hold for a while and see how it works for you....tough question for someone else to answer, imo.
TonyH
TonyH

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:42 am

This depends completely on your eyes and the lighting at your range. I’ve used both holds with identical results. I settled on a close sub-6 (confirming sight picture based on a little visible white under bull) because there’s no sight adjustment needed between lines with my guns, the hold works well for 10m AP, and I have an all-white background to confirm sight alignment. That last point is more forgiving to my eyes. Less fatigue over a match.

Area aiming works—hold error that runs parallel to the sights is tiny at the target when compared to angular error accepted by fatigued eyes.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down