Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illuminated sights vs not

5 posters

Go down

Illuminated sights vs not Empty Illuminated sights vs not

Post by Jack H 1/1/2024, 4:31 am

Tell us your thoughts on when your front sight is so visible you can see the texture of your front sight versus when the targets are in full bright sun, and you are not.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Illuminated sights vs not Empty Re: Illuminated sights vs not

Post by DA/SA 1/1/2024, 6:25 am

I'd prefer sunlight on the front sight any time, but I shoot at no ranges with open benches. I only have that luxury when dry firing outside. The front sight clarity is amazing, and maintaining front sight focus is effortless.

I have never found glasses that will give me a clear front sight with a covered bench with sun lit targets.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday 1/1/2024, 9:57 am

At indoor range where I shoot the target areas are well lit but light at the bench is poor.  I found it very difficult to see iron sights, which is one reason (along with my age ;0 ) I put dots on my target guns.  

At home I shoot a FWB P44 air pistol.  It has excellent large iron sights and the rear notch is adjustable to allow good light either side of the front sight.  I often shoot it outdoors, and like DA/SA when there is good light on the front sight I shoot much better.  The best lighting is direct sun on the pistol with the sights clearly visible and the target in shade.
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/1/2024, 11:00 am

I like fairly bright even light when shooting irons. Bright harsh light, especially if in front of me, is a bit more of a challenging condition. 

Plain white target faces as opposed to the yellow-brown target faces are more frustrating in harsh light as they tend to have a washed out appearance. Though this is more of an issue with a dot than irons.
chiz1180
chiz1180

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 1/1/2024, 3:44 pm

I agree with 1180 in both of his paragraphs. In his 2nd he talks about the bright target being tougher to see when using a dot. I use the polarizing filter that comes with Ultra Dots. I can adjust the amount of darkness to suit the situation I'm in. If you use them put a small dot of super glue on the lens and side let it harden so it won't work loose and move. Then turn the filtering lens to the darkness you like. When you get this set use some electricians tape and wrap around the filters so they stay where you want.
 I have the same problem with irons also, I don't have a solution for it. I use lampblack on both front and rear sights, maybe a colored lens of some sort? It's tough to hold center mass, it seems like I'm looking at the sun.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down