Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel Conversion Suggestions

+2
8eightring
Jwhelan939
6 posters

Go down

Marvel Conversion Suggestions Empty Marvel Conversion Suggestions

Post by Jwhelan939 1/8/2024, 10:21 am

I was looking at ordering a marvel conversion. I was surprised to see that most of the posts on the Marvel are pretty old. In your experience, is the following still accurate?

1. No accuracy difference between steel and aluminum models. Just a different recoil impulse/feel. 
2. Accuracy upgrade not worth it as button groups aren’t repeatable anyway. 

Any opinions on the plastic vs metal and lock back vs not lock back mags sold by FCW?

Any opinions on the heavy rib upgrade?

Any other tidbits of experience you can share?

Thank you so much!

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Marvel Conversion Suggestions Empty Re: Marvel Conversion Suggestions

Post by 8eightring 1/8/2024, 10:56 am

Years ago and I do mean years ago, I bought a steel rib for my Marvel from Rock River I believe. I like the extra weight up front for balance. That is just me, other shooters may want something different.
My Marvel is the non lock back aluminum version, I always feel like I would like the lock back better.

Good luck with your choices. Marvels are great.
8eightring
8eightring

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/8/2024, 11:42 am

The light or heavy rib is personal preference, and may depend on the optic you choose.

I had a 1" Ultradot on my aluminum slide Marvel for a while and preferred the heavy rib with it. I later switched to a 9000SC and went to the aluminum rib with that. Now I am using a micro dot, so I have gone back to the heavy rib.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 1/8/2024, 2:38 pm

I have two Marvels.  My aluminum, non-lockback model is from pre 2004.  Somewhere around 2010 the extractor ate through the chamber so I got a new barrel.  (This was common with that original design)  Both of those barrels had/have better test buttons than my current steel conversion that I paid extra for.  I didn't really want to pay extra for a group but that was all they had left one year at Perry when I bought it.  I think the standard conversions have under a 1' group no matter what so in my opinion, I don't think it's worthwhile to pay more for a better one. 
  I do like the recoil impulse of the steel version better than the aluminum but to date, I haven't shot appreciably better with one over the other. 
  I like a heavier gun so I use a heavy rib more than the lighter one.  There again, I have both and haven't shot any better with the heavy one so it is personal preference. 
  I use Colt mags in mine so I can't comment on current magazines.  Given the choice, I would use the metal GSG mags vs plastic but that's just me.
  When I bought my steel unit, I was certain I wanted the lockback feature. Since I just use my Colt mags without the lockback tab I haven't used the lockback feature yet.  I may change them someday since I have the parts but for now, non-lockback works fine. 

Good Luck.
John

John Dervis

Jwhelan939 and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 1/8/2024, 4:43 pm

John Dervis wrote:I have two Marvels.  My aluminum, non-lockback model is from pre 2004.  Somewhere around 2010 the extractor ate through the chamber so I got a new barrel.  (This was common with that original design)  Both of those barrels had/have better test buttons than my current steel conversion that I paid extra for.  I didn't really want to pay extra for a group but that was all they had left one year at Perry when I bought it.  I think the standard conversions have under a 1' group no matter what so in my opinion, I don't think it's worthwhile to pay more for a better one. 
  I do like the recoil impulse of the steel version better than the aluminum but to date, I haven't shot appreciably better with one over the other. 
  I like a heavier gun so I use a heavy rib more than the lighter one.  There again, I have both and haven't shot any better with the heavy one so it is personal preference. 
  I use Colt mags in mine so I can't comment on current magazines.  Given the choice, I would use the metal GSG mags vs plastic but that's just me.
  When I bought my steel unit, I was certain I wanted the lockback feature. Since I just use my Colt mags without the lockback tab I haven't used the lockback feature yet.  I may change them someday since I have the parts but for now, non-lockback works fine. 

Good Luck.
John
Thank you!

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 1/8/2024, 6:32 pm

I have 4 Unit 1's. One each optic rail and sight rail and 5" and 6". Like others have said even in RR, I cannot duplicate, nor come close to "buttons" provided. All shoot consistently sub 2" at 50yds with most any SV ammo. All better than my hold.

All are non-lockback, all aluminum. On the scoped guns I run Aimpoint 9000. I like the slightly heavier gun, and I control that with optic.

Mags; I had no luck with Colt or Ace mags working reliably. I have some of the plastic mags and do not like them, although they do work fine. I prefer the GSG mags for four reasons. 1) Heavier Weight 2) they work 3) they are easy to load, since you can pull down on the follower pin with a thumb or finger nail, and drop the rounds into the mag in a stripper clip fashion. 4) they drop free when you depress the mag release button.

Marvel/FCW customer service is very good in my experiences.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 1/8/2024, 9:12 pm

I have two, an iron sight unit 1 heavy rib and a unit 1 scope rib. Both are aluminum slide lockback models. I have 3K rounds of Eley Club through the iron sight unit and 1K rounds of the same through the scope model. I only use the polymer mags. I have never had a malfunction, failure, or alibi, despite getting those round counts in three different lowers. All were modified with 19 lb recoil springs. I had ONE issue with my scope rib model at a major, and that was my fault (shot the season, never checked the rib mounting screws, and sure enough, the rib came loose during a state championship, causing loss of zero and errant shots).

I don’t think the upgrade is necessary. My pin and RR test groups are all sub 1.5 MOA. Heavy rib was a nice upgrade for irons. With slabs, it balances just like the .45.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down