Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson Conversion Magazine

+2
chiz1180
ce1911
6 posters

Go down

Nelson Conversion Magazine Empty Nelson Conversion Magazine

Post by ce1911 2/25/2024, 7:10 am

I have several magazines that slightly touch the conversion ejector. Have filed the magazine notch which lowers magazine. Looking at where the magazine touches on ejector, could the top of the magazine be filed where it contacts instead of filing magazine notch?

ce1911

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion Magazine Empty Re: Nelson Conversion Magazine

Post by chiz1180 2/25/2024, 7:59 am

If it is on a dedicated frame, get a lower mag release.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by DK 2/26/2024, 5:47 am

The magazine tuning method recommended by Nelson Custom is to slightly lower the mag by carefully filing the upper edge of the mag release notch.  Looking at the top of a Nelson mag, it appears to me (an amateur gun tinkerer) that it would be easy to adversely affect the presentation of the top round in the mag if too much material was removed up there.  That said, I would suggest you give a call to the folks at Nelson to get the official answer to your question.  They check voicemails regularly and will get back to within a day or so.

DK

Back to top Go down

Post by ce1911 2/26/2024, 8:15 am

Thanks 
Will call Larry N

ce1911

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 2/26/2024, 11:28 am

I'm not sure if it is possible to do but when I made my conversion slide I copied the bottom section rear of the cartridge rim from the Nelson slide. I modified the 1911 ejector (made another) so that the top flags over to hit the rim and eject the case. However on mine I cut the slot the full length of the rear of the slide but it may be possible to shorten the "flag" length so that it will work on a Nelson slide and the Nelson ejector removed. One problem is the ejector will have to be changed if putting a 1911 slide on the frame but not much of a problem if using a dedicated slide like I am. Main difference in my slide is I moved the barrel back 1/4" so the rear of the slide needed to be shortened. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll look into it.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m 2/26/2024, 5:24 pm

DK wrote:The magazine tuning method recommended by Nelson Custom is to slightly lower the mag by carefully filing the upper edge of the mag release notch.  Looking at the top of a Nelson mag, it appears to me (an amateur gun tinkerer) that it would be easy to adversely affect the presentation of the top round in the mag if too much material was removed up there.  That said, I would suggest you give a call to the folks at Nelson to get the official answer to your question.  They check voicemails regularly and will get back to within a day or so.

Filing the top of the notch to lower the mag will put the mag in the proper position to make sure you get proper stripping of the top round.
Toz35m
Toz35m

DK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ce1911 2/26/2024, 6:24 pm

Is there a recommended clearance between magazine and ejector? Possible to remove too much from notch and magazine sits too low?

ce1911

hengehold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DK 2/26/2024, 10:10 pm

The way Larry demonstrated it to a few of us at Perry last year was to insert an empty mag into the pistol with the slide locked open.  Then, carefully observe the ejector to see if it moves downward AT ALL when the mag is released.  There isn’t a specified clearance per se, just that the top of the mag should nestle up under the ejector and just kiss it without exerting any upward pressure on the ejector.  Note that you will see the ejector flex upward just a bit as you insert the mag.  The key is to observe the ejector at the moment the mag is released to be sure it doesn’t move downward.

Yes, it is possible to remove too much material from the mag release notch such that the mag has a sloppy fit.  Just go slowly and file, check fit; file, check fit; etc. and you’ll get there just fine.

DK

Back to top Go down

Post by ce1911 2/26/2024, 10:26 pm

Thanks much for all the input and I have a better understanding of what to look for on modifying the magazine.

ce1911

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 2/27/2024, 9:25 am

sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down