Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson Conversion Magazine Comparison

4 posters

Go down

Nelson Conversion Magazine Comparison Empty Nelson Conversion Magazine Comparison

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 am

So this morning I figured I'd make a comparison between 22 magazines. I mounted the conversion minus the slide to a RO frame. I used the stock mag release. I took a standard Nelson plastic, GSG, unmodified Colt and modified Colt magazines and inserted them into the frame until they locked into place. Each and every magazine touched the ejector. The Nelson mag applied the most force against the ejector. The GSG applied less pressure because of feed lip design. The stock Colt mag applied slight pressure. My modified (tuned for higher mag catch) Colt mag applied the least pressure. Definately not what I was expecting. In my experience the Marvel conversion would not have made contact with the magazines until the higher mag catch was installed. So now I will need to pull my Marvels apart to make a comparison and get some measurements (ejector location above frame rail). I don't like the pressure from the mags against the ejector; it's enough to bend/flex it up. I need to now make sure it's not rubbing the slide. Another test I will be performing is bullet tip deformation from feeding. 
So that's it for now.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion Magazine Comparison Empty Re: Nelson Conversion Magazine Comparison

Post by jglenn21 Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:33 am

should be some great info for all the 22 conversion users Jon.

jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion Magazine Comparison Empty Re: Nelson Conversion Magazine Comparison

Post by riverdog Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:43 am

I use SIG mags. in my nelson, they work great! Had to modify my nelson mags, but the SIG mags worked fine right out of the box. Just my good experience.

riverdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:02 am

All these mags will work! That's not the issue, it's proper function with least amount of bullet deformation when cycling/feeding. For example; most 45 magazines will feed and function reliably. But that doesn't mean that its not releasing cartridge incorrectly; too soon or too late. But it functions! Goal here is to see what feeds best. Recently built a Marvel that was eating up bullet tip. Recoil spring was too light and bullet was flipping up during recoil and feeding too high. Changed recoil spring and no deformation. So there is an ideal tuning to get best "match grade" results.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:06 am

Would a high mag catch make all mags apply less pressure? Then I guess you would have other issues to work on.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:11 am

High mag catch in this case is shoving mags harder into the ejector. So in this case not needed or desirable.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down