Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shooting in a gusty crosswind, need some help

4 posters

Go down

Shooting in a gusty crosswind, need some help Empty Shooting in a gusty crosswind, need some help

Post by Joe L 2/1/2014, 1:24 pm

Last weekend on Sunday, I went to the range.  Very gusty, windy day.  Normally I would just practice trigger control off a forearm rest at 33 yards.  Why?  Because that is always what I do when the wind is 19 mph and gusting to nearly 30! 

Well, it may be this windy next match day, so I decided to see how I can shoot in it.  I hung 10 targets and then decided, heck, I'll just continue on with the Kadet.  Trigger is better than the Ruger, has a $40 red dot, looks like Hell, my bullseye buddies would be embarrassed.  I'll try it. 

Early that morning, I had read Brian Zins' web site articles on trigger control and sighting with a red dot.  He said to get close then start moving the trigger, and let the trigger pull help move the gun to where it needed to be just as it went off.  Once you start moving the trigger, just keep going with it and don't worry about the sight.  Don't "force" the shot. 

So, I tried to apply what he said in the windy conditions, since there was no way I was going to get the dot centered, then release the shot anyway.  Especially with the Kadet that I hadn't hardly shot since getting the Ruger.  Basically, I gave up on trying to release the shot exactly when the dot was centered.  Instead I got the gun settled, kinda, then just started moving the trigger and not stopping.  The surprising result was that my scores in the wind this mornining were on average about 10 points higher than my scores were in the match yesterday with no wind!! 

I couldn't believe it.  Zins was right, of course. Start moving the trigger before the dot position is perfect, so that the gun goes off when it is even closer to perfect.  Look at the target. 

Since the movement of the gun is so dramatic single hand bulleye hold compared to two-hand hold, I think there is really something to Zins' method, at least the way I understand it.  I think what he is saying is to time the shot release when the gun position has moved to the optimum position in its wobble, not try to get the position correct and then start moving the trigger, because the gun is going to move too much after you initiate the trigger pull. 

Here is a video of the results from today.  Amazing to me that I was able to do this.  Learn something new with every round fired.

I tried to apply what I learned last week this morning, but the results weren't as good.  I think it was because I expected to do well this morning and wasn't executing, just thinking about the results.  Last week, I had no idea I could be as successful, so was content with just letting the shots go just as Zins recommended.  This is all mental, in the end. 

I shot this video for the CZ forum, in case anyone is wondering about the references to the loader and to the pistol.  This gun has a $40 sight on it and should be shot out by now, but it isn't. 

Comments/recommendations appreciated. 

This is fun.

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Shooting in a gusty crosswind, need some help Empty Re: Shooting in a gusty crosswind, need some help

Post by joem5636 2/1/2014, 4:18 pm

Shoot like rapid fire or in two/three shot bursts during lulls. Basically, most Police-L shooters do this always because of the limited time for slow fire.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Shooting in a gusty crosswind, need some help Empty Re: Shooting in a gusty crosswind, need some help

Post by Rob Kovach 2/1/2014, 4:22 pm

Read "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bashham.  He goes into how important it is to not shoot for a result, but to follow the shot process and allow the subconscious mind to shoot the gun instead of the conscious mind.

I love your videos!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L 2/1/2014, 5:51 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:Read "With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bashham.  He goes into how important it is to not shoot for a result, but to follow the shot process and allow the subconscious mind to shoot the gun instead of the conscious mind.

I love your videos!

Thanks, Rob.  Yep, I've got Basham's book and need to go read it again, along with Brian Enos' book.  I've read them all.  I'm not half as good a shooter as I KNOW how to be!

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 2/1/2014, 10:15 pm

One of the things I find myself doing in the wind is tightening my grip on the gun.  This hurts my shot process.  
  I also have noticed that when the crosswind is pushing my arm into the target I tend to shoot better than when it is pushing my arm off the target.  Probably a sign that my shoulder is stronger than my pecs.   More pushups...  :-)

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L 2/4/2014, 8:38 am

Schaumannk--thanks.  I will try not to react to the wind by tightening my grip.  I don't think I am doing that, but I better check! 

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 2/4/2014, 11:00 pm

I heard for a cross wind, turn your toes in a little.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L 2/6/2014, 8:35 am

Thanks for the tips.  Will watch the grip and toe position next time.  It is always windy here, unless it is very cold. One other thing I have learned is that I had my left foot too far back, to the point the my head angle actually resulted in some vision problems.  Lining up my toes at about 45-50 degrees to the line of fire seems about right--no neck or eye strain.  Should help the stability in the cross wind as well. 

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down