Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to accurize 9mm XDM Elite

+4
LenV
Foundryratjim
james r chapman
sharkdoctor
8 posters

Go down

How to accurize 9mm XDM Elite Empty How to accurize 9mm XDM Elite

Post by sharkdoctor 6/5/2024, 10:46 am

I have a Springfield XDM Elite w/4.5" bbl.  The precision/accuracy is disappointing and not what I expected - say 3-4" groups at 25 yds., this with a range of different lead/jacketed bullets weights and loads, with those known on this B-E List to be good.  POA is adjustable with different front sight heights, but I am looking for advice to increase precision.

Lockup seems tight vertically.  Hood gives some lateral shift and barrel at front of slide seems tight.  
Better leade might help, and it might help with leading, but barrel seems extremely hard compared to 1911 and other pistol barrels I have seen, and rethroating might be difficult.  Rebarreling might be easiest and solve several problems.

Would I benefit from a fitted barrel, say Barsto?  Sellers say gunsmith fitting is required versus a semi drop-in, but I don't think a drop-in would help much.  Can I hand-fit fit a barrel myself?  I have done several 1911's so have that experience.

Any suggestions from those of you with XDM Elite experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

How to accurize 9mm XDM Elite Empty Re: How to accurize 9mm XDM Elite

Post by james r chapman 6/5/2024, 11:30 am

The quickest and easiest is to probably ship it off xd to Dave Salyer to work on.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 6/5/2024, 11:41 am

james r chapman wrote:The quickest and easiest is to probably ship it off xd to Dave Salyer to work on.
I spoke with Dave at a match last Sat.  While he could do his magic on a 9mm chamber, he doesn't have experience with the XDM.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim 6/5/2024, 1:26 pm

I also have one of these. I have recently installed a Powder River Precision trigger kit in it.It cut the pull by about half . I've not had a chance to shoot it much since I did this to check for accuracy improvement.

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 6/5/2024, 2:42 pm

A Burris FF3 was the answer for me. Now I can hit things with it again.How to accurize 9mm XDM Elite 20230518
How to accurize 9mm XDM Elite 20230519
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/5/2024, 3:31 pm

Sorry, I missed the XDM part.

I also installed that trigger for a much better feel.
As I recall the AMU was tweaking those with some success.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 6/5/2024, 7:32 pm

+1 on the Powder River kit. I had an XDM 45 Elite. Was probably good enough to leg out in SP, but never shot even close to the groups possible with a good 1911. Glad I played with one, but sold it on.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 6/6/2024, 6:31 am

i put a kkm semi-drop in barrel in mine and it ended up not needing any additional fitting. made a huge difference in accuracy.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim 6/17/2024, 11:16 am

SmokinNJokin wrote:i put a kkm semi-drop in barrel in mine and it ended up not needing any additional fitting. made a huge difference in accuracy.

Are there any videos anywhere that show the installation of one of these semi- drop in barrels?

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 6/17/2024, 1:51 pm

SmokinNJokin wrote:i put a kkm semi-drop in barrel in mine and it ended up not needing any additional fitting. made a huge difference in accuracy.
Thanks- what do you consider to be a hugh difference?  If dimensions are identical to factory barrels, than an improvement is likely due to chambering/leade or rifling.  Is the hood wider?  Is the height from the top of the barrel to the bottom bearing surface (where tig teats might be added) greater to tighten lock-up?  If you might provide those dimensions that could be helpful.

Thanks to all for your comments.  Stock trigger (with minor honing) is at about 4.75 lb so I am not inclined to upgrade that.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 6/18/2024, 12:18 pm

I wish i had the old barrel still to compare, I don’t know what the dimensional differences are. And i gave that gun to my brother, it has been a family favorite for years. can ring an 8x12” steel target all day at 50-75 yards.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 6/18/2024, 4:29 pm

Powder River parts and weld the barrel. Slip a Dane Hogle recoil reducer on the rail.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 6/18/2024, 6:30 pm

Foundryratjim wrote:

Are there any videos anywhere that show the installation of one of these semi- drop in barrels?
Haven't seen video, but it's easy. Lock slide to rear, rotate takedown lever, release slide lock and it all comes apart. Slide in new barrel, reverse. Easy, no fitting. at least on mine. And the slide had been cerakoted so it was a tiny bit tighter, still functioned fine.

I will always choose KKM when it comes to barrels. Have bought many from them for past 12 years. Great American company I love to give my money. And I don't clean KKM rifling, other than an occasional patch just to satisfy my curiosity. The rifling on them just seems to keep very clean more than any other I have seen. 
They were recommended to me by a sniper team leader in 2/75 a lifetime ago, was using them on Glock 22 sidearms back then. Long before I got into bullseye. Shameless plug for KKM...

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 6/20/2024, 11:56 am

There is a guy Bill Springfield I think welds those up???? 

If this like any other modern SFire pistol accuracy might be better with 124gn factory ammo. Factory barrels these days like hot 124gn rounds ,
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down