Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22

3 posters

Go down

Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22 Empty Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22

Post by knightimac Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:40 am

Hi

I tried something different yesterday on my Ruger MKIII 22 iron sight gun.  I removed the standard squarish notch rear and replaced with large round rear opening rear meant for large fiber optic.  I left standard black post target front sight on pistol.

This option gives me alot more daylight on both sides of the front sight.  Consequently, at times, I seem to be able to focus on the front sight better with this setup.  I placed the "post inside the circle" just underneath the black at 25 yards.  6/slight sub 6 type hold.  30 shots decent grouping in timed fire type shooting.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22 Empty Re: Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22

Post by DeweyHales Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 am

Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22 Open_sight_picturesThat's a great sight picture. Differences in the light bars on the side of the front sight show alignment errors not only by width but by height as well. 

Clearly a picture here would be worth a thousand words.
Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22 Sights-Alignment1-300x209
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22 Empty Re: Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22

Post by knightimac Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Dewey

You are right I should take a picture when I'm able.  The sight picture looks closest to option "A".

However the round opening on the rear sight almost forms a complete circle.  Only small opening at the top of the circle about the width of the front sight.

So the sight picture I was using almost looks like capital letter "I" inside of capital "O" when aligned under target.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 pm

Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22 Round_17]Large Round opening rear sight on Ruger 22 Round_17[/url]
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:28 pm

I think this picture shows how my eyes see the front sight more clearly using this large round rear sight opening.  I read somewhere Russian Olympic shooters did this years ago.  It may have been written here.  Regardless, I shot well using this setup on Monday.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:03 am

I believe the Russian's used option A from Dewey's list.  At least thats what came with my Toz.  I bet the reason your setup works for you is because there is more space on both sides of the front sight.  I have a really hard time with tight rear sights.  I cant get my eye to look past the rear and focus on the front if there isn't enough gap in the rear sight.
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down