Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ultra Dot front trim ring removal help

+5
dronning
DavidR
Jack H
Rob Kovach
IamQuaker
9 posters

Go down

Ultra Dot front trim ring removal help Empty Ultra Dot front trim ring removal help

Post by IamQuaker 10/16/2015, 9:13 pm

i have a Ultra Dot 1"
what is the trick to getting the front trim ring removed so i can install the extension tube?  

thanks
IamQuaker
IamQuaker

Back to top Go down

Ultra Dot front trim ring removal help Empty Re: Ultra Dot front trim ring removal help

Post by Rob Kovach 10/16/2015, 10:03 pm

None of my 1" Ultradot sights have anything to remove prior to installing the extension tube. Mine just screws in.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ultra Dot front trim ring removal help Empty Re: Ultra Dot front trim ring removal help

Post by Jack H 10/17/2015, 1:59 am

There is not much to hang onto with those little rings.  I had one so tight I had to plier it off.  Pad the ring so you dont chew it up..  Also - remove any near ring mounts . 

Another thing I think would work is to cut a piece of that plastic or rubber sheet used to help grip fruit jars.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 10/17/2015, 8:45 am

wrap in a rag and try pliers but it usually trashes the ring
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/17/2015, 8:52 am

Out of 4 dots I got 1 off without destroying it.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 10/17/2015, 8:53 am

A strap wrench is handy for this application after making sure there are no rings distorting the tube and putting pressure on the threads. I have an old vacuum cleaner belt in one of my toolboxes that also works.  Connector pliers are another idea. If you suspect corrosion let a drop of Kroil sit on the seam for an hour or so before trying to loosen the ring.

If you know anyone who works on airplanes they may be able to loan you these tools. They are common tools for mil-spec circular electrical connectors.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 10/17/2015, 9:59 am

IamQuaker wrote:i have a Ultra Dot 1"
what is the trick to getting the front trim ring removed so i can install the extension tube?  

thanks
I have been successful using several layers of friction tape.. Grabs the ring, and gives you something to grasp..
I also use a teflon based grease to coat the threads, and a thin Oring to butt the shoulders against when installing any extensions or filters. Goes a long way preventing future disassembly problems.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 10/17/2015, 10:07 am

Jerry Keefer wrote:I have been successful using several layers of friction tape.. Grabs the ring, and gives you something to grasp..

Ok that's weird, I was just thinking about strips of tape as I working around the house and puzzling the problem. You must be a loud thinker Jerry. Wink
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 10/17/2015, 12:16 pm

Sa-tevp wrote:
Jerry Keefer wrote:I have been successful using several layers of friction tape.. Grabs the ring, and gives you something to grasp..

Ok that's weird, I was just thinking about strips of tape as I working around the house and puzzling the problem. You must be a loud thinker Jerry. Wink
Another thing to consider..If the front scope ring is close to the trim ring, the compression force of the scope ring on the threads will lock the trim ring in place and nothing will loosen it..until that pressure is relieved.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets 10/17/2015, 2:44 pm

Just a little heat, heat gun or small hobby torch. Had to do one of mine last month. Mount rings tend to distort the tube. Strap wrench or jar opener cloth. To twist off.

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamQuaker 10/17/2015, 7:03 pm

thanks for the extra tips.  i tried the plyers with cloth to keep from scratching the ring and.... total fail.  the metal is so thin i messed it all up and got very upset with myself!  argh!!!

i will update after i try some of the other tricks.  wish me luck!
IamQuaker
IamQuaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 10/17/2015, 7:42 pm

I'm hoping you were using curved jaw pliers.... more area of contact. Flat jaws have too little contact. You need to load the deck in your favor. On the positive side now that you bought it (messed it all up, you're all in) you can be less delicate with that part. You could cut slots with a wiz wheel now and use a hacksaw blade in the new slots to screw it out. A world of options opens up now that the ring is messed up.

If all fails but short of a machine shop: Go fat or go home
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 10/17/2015, 9:34 pm

One  wrap of tape to protect finish followed by a hose clamp to give you something that applies even pressure all around plus something to grip?
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down