Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to get into bullseye shooting

+4
Bob Fleming
Al
Orion
cjclark1068
8 posters

Go down

Want to get into bullseye shooting Empty Want to get into bullseye shooting

Post by cjclark1068 4/20/2012, 9:47 am

Greetings all,

Want to get into Bullseye shooting and will be starting from the ground up, no firearms to compete with. Obviously need a 22 but am wondering if in my case I should get a 45 and conversion kit vs a dedicated 22. If a dedicated 22 is in order, which model of Ruger Mark III (bias)? Is a long barrel a necessity? I don't want to say money isn't an object but I want to get the best bang for my dollars.

Thanks in advance.

cjclark1068

Back to top Go down

Want to get into bullseye shooting Empty Re: Want to get into bullseye shooting

Post by Orion 4/20/2012, 10:48 am

Buy a used Ruger Mark II Competition. It has everything you need to shoot Master scores with a price tag of about $325. I was shooting upper 840s with a scope. It is the perfect entry level 22. It works.

If you do you're homework you'll see similar recommendations come along.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 4/20/2012, 11:38 am

+1 on the Ruger recommendation. If you're not shooting master scores with a Ruger, it's not the pistol.

If you want the simplicity of a singe trigger to learn, then your plan of a 1911 with a GOOD conversion will work. Just keep in mind a good conversion will cost you more than a Ruger MK II. The downside would be a trigger malfunction on the 1911 w/conversion would put you out of the match for 22, CF and 45. But I have seen shooters use a single frame with the conversion and doing very well.

FWIW

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Fleming 4/20/2012, 12:26 pm

The long barrel makes a difference only with iron sights.

Don't think of it as the one and only BE 22 you will ever have, think of it as the first of many. Buckmark would be my choice, having shot 890s with one but it is more important to shoot whatever may be handy right now instead of waiting for the perfect pistol someday.

Bob Fleming

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 4/20/2012, 2:05 pm

Al wrote:

If you want the simplicity of a singe trigger to learn, then your plan of a 1911 with a GOOD conversion will work. Just keep in mind a good conversion will cost you more than a Ruger MK II. The downside would be a trigger malfunction on the 1911 w/conversion would put you out of the match for 22, CF and 45. But I have seen shooters use a single frame with the conversion and doing very well.

FWIW

I went from a Benelli MP95e to a Marvel, interchangeably on a Hardball frame. Needless to say I sold the Marvel.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 4/21/2012, 9:18 am

Buy the best you can afford,best guns & best ammo if your serious about competing, the old saying you cant buy points is BS, you dang sure can up to your skill level, from there on all you have to do is work on building your skill level. In the long run it will save you money.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BHeintz 4/22/2012, 2:23 pm

I was in your position a few years back, and most of the members of the club I shoot at recommended getting a Ruger MKII, I had trouble finding a MKII, the ones I came across were a lot higher in price than what I was told I could get one for, so I ended going with a new MKIII. A lot of people say a Ruger is a good entry level pistol, which they are, but in my experience after shooting Bullseye for five years, I still shoot my Ruger, and have not felt the gun is holding me back at all. I have tried shooting many other common Bullseye pistols, and so far, still prefer the Ruger. My gun with CCI Standard Velocity ammo is perfectly capable of shooting high master scores. They also are usually very reliable with different types of ammo. I would recommend at least holding, or shooting a gun before purchasing, to make sure it feels decent in your hand. If have the chance to hold or shoot a Ruger, and it feels alright, I don't think you can go wrong with one, even if you do decide you want something else down the road.

BHeintz

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 4/22/2012, 2:42 pm

Check gunbroker..
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/22/2012, 3:46 pm

I had really bad luck with the steeper grip angle of the standard Ruger that I started with. I would recommend a 22/45 Ruger to give you a similar grip angle to a 1911.
If you are going to stick with bullseye, you will eventually be shooting a 1911--might as well get used to the 1911 grip angle.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/22/2012, 8:39 pm

Yes. Ruger. MkII, MkIII. It doesn't matter really. But II if possible.
Add a trigger job. At least a Volquartsen sear. But a pro job like Toyota or Clark is much better. Change the rear sight to Volquartsen for sure if using irons. Or drill and tap if needed for Ultradot. (Don't get high mounts or one of those huge A-10 engine looking dot sights (although the A-10 is a great aircraft)) 1" Ultadot single or 4 dot is all you need on a 22. Mount LOW*. Do not overlook the 2245 for the grip angle as said above. Add a touch of grip tape front and rear. Go shoot.

*Weigand or Ruger Weaver rail, and Burris Zee rings. (Zee rings for a little extra weight)
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down