Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger and grip not playing nice together

3 posters

Go down

Trigger and grip not playing nice together Empty Trigger and grip not playing nice together

Post by Aprilian Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:06 am

I posted a question in equipment about the trigger on my wadgun being stiff when live firing.    I figure at least half the answers are going to be about technique Razz  so I'll post a "parallel" question here.

I can dry fire with very minor moment of the dot and the trigger feels like it move very smoothly in its track.   However when live firing today, I could tell the trigger was stiffer when a round was chambered.   I am getting better with not flinching, but I notice one of two bad habits are creeping in during live fire.  I focus on the trigger (from the old list serve - thinking of it like breaking an egg without getting any on my finger) 1) as the trigger is about to break, I feel my grip go loose or 2) trying not to go loose, I tighten my grip and yank the trigger.

Can someone suggest some exercise to help me find the appropriate midpoint between these two extremes?  thanks
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Trigger and grip not playing nice together Empty Re: Trigger and grip not playing nice together

Post by CR10X Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:13 am

Here are my suggestions assuming that nothing mechanical has been changed on the gun.  New mainspring housing, sear, safety, trigger or grip safety can lead to issues that surface with even minor grip issues. Even if you've just changed where the finger is on the trigger can be a cause depending on the fitting of the grip safety.  Also look at the outside of the mags.  When full they can expand some and rub the inside of the trigger bow.  Just checking to make sure you looked there also? 

First, if the grip is not consistent, it can interfere with the grip safety, which it turn can affect the trigger feel.  Sometimes just a little looseness will result in the safety not being completely depressed and the tab will ride on top of the back of the trigger bow.  Look at the trigger bow at the right, rear top for a wear mark or color it with a marker and see what happens.

Second, sometimes, the hand or grip changes over time (physical, weight loss, etc.) can result in the same thing happening.  Put a little pad of the flesh colored wound tape sold in stores on the bottom portion of the grip safety.  DO NOT tape the safety down.  See if this helps.  If it does, then its probably the grip being loose. 

Last, it is natural for the grip to relax some if we are not careful. If there is interruption or hesitation of the trigger process, sometimes the focus goes to the trigger and seems to go away from the grip. It's natural for the forefinger (trigger finger) to get the focus and as the trigger is operated, the shooter feels like its pressing back in to the hand at the top of the grip and we compensate by letting the lower fingers get a little slack (also results from trying the keep the sights aligned or on target as the trigger pressure is increased).  Anything that moves the inside of lower thumb pad (that beefy part that bunches up when we grip the gun) can change the pressure on the grip safety. 

Lots of training on maintaining the same grip pressure is the key.  When dryfiring, we don't expect the recoil, noise, etc. and so are generally more confident and focused on the task at hand.  Live firing also needs that same sense of "nothing is going on except the trigger process and sear tripping" to complete the shot.  

Personally, I do some training every week or so when I just focus of the consistent grip pressure throughout the trigger process.  This is usually on back (blank side) of a full size target.  No distractions about center, just holding on the center of the big white space and focusing on completely consistent grip and progressive trigger process.

Anyway, hope its just a mechanical issue.  Those don't take much time to fix.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Trigger and grip not playing nice together Empty Re: Trigger and grip not playing nice together

Post by Sc0 Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:52 pm

What he said, check for trigger bow to magazine body contact. Had a similar problem with my. 45, still need to go through my other 1911's to check for the same thing.

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi Cecil,  as usual THANKS!   I posted what I found in the equipment section and printed out your training suggestions to take to the range next week.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down