Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

+12
Sa-tevp
SonOfAGun
lyman1903
Jack H
Wobbley
Blackbird
dronning
LenV
john bickar
Mike38
Chris Miceli
willnewton
16 posters

Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by willnewton Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Does it exist?

You would make a standing, unsupported shot with a rifle in a Bullseye type format.

NOT 3-position rifle or rested in any fashion. This would be free-standing rifle shots ONLY.

Sounds like an ISSF event, but just wondering.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Posts : 938
Join date : 2016-07-24
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Chris Miceli Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:34 pm

willnewton wrote:Does it exist?

You would make a standing, unsupported shot with a rifle in a Bullseye type format.

NOT 3-position rifle or rested in any fashion.  This would be free-standing rifle shots ONLY.

Sounds like an ISSF event, but just wondering.  

air rifle

Chris Miceli

Posts : 2710
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Mike38 Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:32 pm

willnewton wrote:Does it exist?

You would make a standing, unsupported shot with a rifle in a Bullseye type format.

NOT 3-position rifle or rested in any fashion.  This would be free-standing rifle shots ONLY.

Sounds like an ISSF event, but just wondering.  


If not there should be. Use .22 semi auto rifles, 50 yard slow fire, 25 yard timed and rapid. Targets of about 25% of pistol target sizes. Scored exactly the same. Would be fun.
Mike38
Mike38

Posts : 512
Join date : 2016-09-15
Age : 62
Location : Illinois

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by john bickar Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:42 pm

If my performance in service rifle/highpower is any indication, I would be quite good at it.

That lying down on the ground thing, however, is a horse of a different color.
john bickar
john bickar

Posts : 1838
Join date : 2011-07-09
Location : Menlo Park, CA

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by LenV Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Do we have to shoot with one hand?
LenV
LenV

Posts : 4505
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 72
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by dronning Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:45 pm

We have a 1,000 point offhand match every year, all slow fire at 200yds.  I believe a 985 won it last year or maybe the year before.
- Dave


Last edited by dronning on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
dronning
dronning

Posts : 2582
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 68
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Blackbird Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Smallbore rifle silhouette is the closest thing I can think of.


Last edited by Blackbird on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blackbird

Posts : 50
Join date : 2017-08-30

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Wobbley Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

The silhouette games would be close.  Second would be Service Rifle Highpower.
Wobbley
Wobbley

Posts : 3596
Join date : 2015-02-13

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Jack H Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:31 am

It would be cool to shoot rifle offhand 10 shots SF, 5+5 TF, 5+5 RF.  Range, times and targets would have to be determined.
Jack H
Jack H

Posts : 2416
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by john bickar Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:57 am

Offhand sustained fire with a service rifle would be a hoot. I would love that.
john bickar
john bickar

Posts : 1838
Join date : 2011-07-09
Location : Menlo Park, CA

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Jack H Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:11 am

Bolt gun too.  It doesn't have to be purpose built.  Include hunt/sport guns.  Sako Forrester for example
Jack H
Jack H

Posts : 2416
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Oregon

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by willnewton Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:06 pm

I spent a while this morning looking at silhouette shooting websites.  Interesting format and a wide variety of firearm choice.   Thanks for the alternative ideas too.  

The highpower silhouette rifles shoot up to 200-500 yards or meters offhand.

The smallbore silhouette rifles go from 50-100 and use a reduced target.

It looks challenging, but approachable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_silhouette_shooting
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Posts : 938
Join date : 2016-07-24
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by lyman1903 Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm

willnewton wrote:I spent a while this morning looking at silhouette shooting websites.  Interesting format and a wide variety of firearm choice.   Thanks for the alternative ideas too.  

The highpower silhouette rifles shoot up to 200-500 yards or meters offhand.

The smallbore silhouette rifles go from 50-100 and use a reduced target.

It looks challenging, but approachable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_silhouette_shooting

Silhouette folks shoot for score on a non score target,  a hit is a hit, as long as the target falls over it is good,

small bore can be quite challenging, (Know a guy that was very very good at it)

Smallbore (standing, sitting or kneeling, and prone) and Service or Match rifle are close,
different distances, and you have rapids (10 shots in 70 seconds or so with a reload) 
you do shoot for score (standard X ring target)

Service Rifle can be quite challenging as well, and actually a great deal of fun
lyman1903
lyman1903

Posts : 338
Join date : 2017-12-26
Location : Beach Va, not Va Beach

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by SonOfAGun Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:21 pm

Combined match: 900/pistol + 900/rifle.
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Posts : 140
Join date : 2017-08-12
Location : Midwest

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Sa-tevp Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:50 am

Rifle Running Target always looked like a hoot.

Here are some folks hitting the ten ring:



10m Running Target Men Medal matches - 2016 ISSF Running Target World Championship in Suhl (GER)


Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? 220px-10_meter_running_target.svg


ISSF 10 meter running target

"The 10 meter target center ring is smaller than a pencil eraser and crosses a 2 meter opening slow and fast speed, time between runs has a minimum of 12 seconds and a max of 24 seconds."

ISSF 50 meter running target



More history - Running Target History
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Posts : 781
Join date : 2013-07-20
Location : Georgia

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by MarkOue Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:29 am

Infantry Trophy Team
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-national-matches/national-trophy-rifle-matches/national-trophy-infantry-team-match/

If any team of 6 competitors has not fired all of the issued 384 rounds at the 600, 500, and then 300 yard lines, all with decreasing value for each hit on a silhouette target, the team will fire any remaining rounds at the 200 yard line from the standing position.  

This is a Service Rifle match.  Presently one my use the AR platform.  When I shot ITT the Service Rifle was a match M-14 or civilian M-1A, or an M-1 Garand.  Shooting standing rapid fire with a 7.62 was fun but luckily we never needed to shoot the 200 yard line in a match.

MarkOue

Posts : 166
Join date : 2016-08-07
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Bigtrout Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:44 am

i'm not certain it is NRA sanctioned but an acquaintance in Oregon just shot a new world record for 5 rounds at the 600 yard line with a 6mm.  He belongs to a club near Portland shooting 600 and 1000 yard rifle benchrest.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Posts : 404
Join date : 2015-06-21
Age : 81
Location : Richmond, VT

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Boris_La Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm

lyman1903 wrote:
willnewton wrote:I spent a while this morning looking at silhouette shooting websites.  Interesting format and a wide variety of firearm choice.   Thanks for the alternative ideas too.  

The highpower silhouette rifles shoot up to 200-500 yards or meters offhand.

The smallbore silhouette rifles go from 50-100 and use a reduced target.

It looks challenging, but approachable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_silhouette_shooting

Silhouette folks shoot for score on a non score target,  a hit is a hit, as long as the target falls over it is good,

small bore can be quite challenging, (Know a guy that was very very good at it)

Smallbore (standing, sitting or kneeling, and prone) and Service or Match rifle are close,
different distances, and you have rapids (10 shots in 70 seconds or so with a reload) 
you do shoot for score (standard X ring target)

Service Rifle can be quite challenging as well, and actually a great deal of fun
There is no artificial support allowed in Metallic Silhouette games. No slings, jackets, boots, gloves. Weather appropriate loose clothing. There are categories for scoped and iron sights. 5 shoots in 2 or 2.5 min (depends on the category). Its challenging enough to skip the rapid fire. Easy humbles the person who thinks of themselves as a good rifle shooters.

Boris_La

Posts : 82
Join date : 2016-06-26

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by jmdavis Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:29 pm

john bickar wrote:If my performance in service rifle/highpower is any indication, I would be quite good at it.

That lying down on the ground thing, however, is a horse of a different color.


That's for sure. It doesn't get better as your eyes get older either.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Posts : 1406
Join date : 2012-03-24
Location : Virginia

Back to top Go down

Is there a rifle version of Bullseye? Empty Re: Is there a rifle version of Bullseye?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum