Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammerli 208 disassembly

+5
Bullseye_Stan
Chris Miceli
Aprilian
Jon Eulette
Bullseye99
9 posters

Go down

Hammerli 208 disassembly  Empty Hammerli 208 disassembly

Post by Bullseye99 3/9/2018, 5:44 pm

I am looking for information on Hammerli 208 disassembly beyond field stripping. I’d like to strip it for a thorough cleaning , remove the sear, etc for Moly lube. I put about 5,000 rounds through it so far. I can’t find any information on line, no videos on YouTube either.
Thank you.

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Hammerli 208 disassembly  Empty Re: Hammerli 208 disassembly

Post by Jon Eulette 3/9/2018, 6:08 pm

You probably won't find anything. Just be a typical man you don't need directions to :-)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Steve B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 3/9/2018, 6:20 pm

this any help?  http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/hammerli_208s.pdf
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/9/2018, 6:51 pm

If it were me (yes I've100% disassembled before) I would remove slide and recoil spring and guide rod (ejector comes out now). Pull off grips and then remove mag catch and mainspring. That's it!. Clean away and then drop lube down front of hammer to sear. Reassemble. That's good enough.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye99 3/9/2018, 7:57 pm

Thanks!

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 3/9/2018, 8:21 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:If it were me (yes I've100% disassembled before) I would remove slide and recoil spring and guide rod (ejector comes out now). Pull off grips and then remove mag catch and mainspring. That's it!. Clean away and then drop lube down front of hammer to sear. Reassemble. That's good enough.
Jon
Is the barrel left hand twist or pinned in ? Maybe right hand? I want to clean it real good

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan 3/10/2018, 8:36 am

Before you jump right in and start disassembling the pistol, what Aprilian posted is for the 208s.  That is not a 208.  If your pistol is indeed a 208s, then the manual provided by Aprilian will do everything you need.  But if it's not, that manual may not apply for many steps.  The serial number of the pistol determines the time it was manufactured and the version.  

As such, you may want to be cautious and *stop* when something is unclear.  Removing the slide, taking off the grips, and other obvious dismantling is always OK.  Larry Carter has a good description on 208 maintenance: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/22care.htm. He knows of what he writes. 

Having tinkered with a 208, some versions do not readily release their recoil spring (which is critical to check, IMO).  Some folks on TargetTalk have described various 208 disassembly stages.  I would do a search on that site.  Even the rear sight has a different disassembly procedure.  The "site:www.targettalk.org 208 disassembly" search term in google should get you started.  Good luck!

p.s. I highly recommend taking plenty of digital photo's during the disassembly process.  They come in handy during reassembly.  And.... you can share your experience with others!

Edit: here is another link to 208 maintenance, authored by Ed Hall: http://www.pilkguns.com/edhallhammerli208sca-html/

Part of my lengthy post is from reading other forums where folks notice their German motorcycle engine has 50,000 miles and feel compelled to completely disassemble the engine, even though it is unnecessary.  The result is generally a tale of woe, which appears to be unheeded by others.  Perhaps it's the rare success story of an amateur being able to accomplish what could be done by a highly trained professional with years of experience?  People tend to love those stories - but they make me cringe.

Edit II: here is a link to several other Hammerli (208s/208/215/211) manuals: http://www.pistoliers.com/gen_pages.php?f=manuels.txt

Last edited by Bullseye_Stan on 3/10/2018, 10:24 am; edited 4 times in total

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 3/10/2018, 9:06 am

Jon Eulette wrote:You probably won't find anything. Just be a typical man you don't need directions to :-)
Jon
We all can take things a part.  The thing is putting them together again without spare parts

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 3/10/2018, 10:23 am

285wannab wrote:
Jon Eulette wrote:You probably won't find anything. Just be a typical man you don't need directions to :-)
Jon
We all can take things a part.  The thing is putting them together again without spare parts
But seriously are there any tricks that would be useful to know?

285wannab

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 3/10/2018, 1:12 pm

285wannab wrote:
285wannab wrote:We all can take things a part.  The thing is putting them together again without spare parts
But seriously are there any tricks that would be useful to know?
I once had someone I was mentoring bring me a plastic bag with all his Ruger MkII parts inside...

Tricks:

Wear safety glasses, work in a room with as little clutter as possible, work under a sheet if you're concerned about escaping parts, only use good quality tools of the correct size, especially screwdrivers and punches.

208(s):

The hammer is much easier to remove than the sear and if you remove the hammer you can reach the sear to clean and apply Moly lube.

I have field instructions at my site:

Cleaning and Adjustments for the Hammerli 208s

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 3/10/2018, 1:14 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:Is the barrel left hand twist or pinned in ? Maybe right hand? I want to clean it real good
It is removed in a counterclockwise direction.  The trick is getting the extractor cut aligned again when you reinstall. Smile

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye99 3/15/2018, 4:56 pm

If someone could post a disassembly video on YouTube for the Hammerli 208 would forever be enshrined as a hero to all the grateful Hammerli 208 International Owner’s!

Bullseye99

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 3/15/2018, 5:04 pm

Ed Hall wrote:
Chris Miceli wrote:Is the barrel left hand twist or pinned in ? Maybe right hand? I want to clean it real good
It is removed in a counterclockwise direction.  The trick is getting the extractor cut aligned again when you reinstall. Smile
isn't that called thread timing or something?

I believe they would call that anti-clockwise =]

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinkemulder 1/20/2020, 1:52 pm

Thanks for the Info on Hammerli 208s
Vinkemulder
Vinkemulder

Back to top Go down

Hammerli 208 disassembly  Empty Hammerli 208 disassembly

Post by handcycle 6/22/2022, 4:43 pm

Bullseye99 wrote:I am looking for information on Hammerli 208 disassembly beyond field stripping. I’d like to strip it for a thorough cleaning , remove the sear, etc for Moly lube. I put about 5,000 rounds through it so far. I can’t find any information on line, no videos on YouTube either.
Thank you.
I am also looking for the same thing - looks like there is not much clear instructions on this task. I had watched all the YouTube videos available on the Hammerli pistols. I was told not to disassemble the Hammerli pistols if not necessary. The gun just require some basic cleanings. Anything more drastic / more in depth, best is to leave it to a gunsmith. I am not very mechanical minded so I am not brave enough to start "knocking out pins, etc" on my gun. I don't want to open up cans of worms Wink) Embarassed Crying or Very sad
handcycle
handcycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down