Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low light with iron sights.

+10
joem5636
mikemyers
mspingeld
xmastershooter
davekp
knightimac
Gary Wells
Chris Miceli
243winxb
Mike38
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Low light with iron sights. - Page 2 Empty Low light with iron sights.

Post by Mike38 3/19/2018, 5:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Are there any tips or tricks to help an iron sight shooter competing in "less than ideal" lighting conditions? The results of my last two indoor matches were pathetic to say the least. I could not, no matter what I tried, get good clear / crisp view of the front sight. From what I could tell, the lighting directly above the shooters station was lower than should be, and the lighting at the targets was way too bright. I'm not sure if this affected other iron sight shooters at the match, didn't ask. I doubt it would affect a dot sight shooters at all. As soon as I got home from the match I sat down in my gun room to try and figure it all out. I grabbed a pistol and my shooting glasses to see if anything was better, or the same. Dry fired about 20 times. Good crisp sight picture. I even turned the lights off in the room, good crisp sight picture. This leads me to believe the lighting at this range is too bright at the target. Also, the target backers were alternating, white or yellow. Last month I shot at a white target backer, this month a yellow, the yellow had worse results. It almost seems like the target backers were glowing, for lack of a better term, and really messed up my focus on the front sight. Normally, target backers are that flat beige or tan that corrugated cardboard is normally colored. I don't seem to have a problem with that background. So, anything I can do besides going to a red dot, or never shooting at this location? I really like this place, very friendly bunch of people and well ran matches. Thanks.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Low light with iron sights. - Page 2 Empty Re: Low light with iron sights.

Post by mspingeld 5/25/2018, 12:43 pm

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=390

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/25/2018, 12:46 pm

The real problem with low lights such as indoor ranges isn’t the light from the targets. It is there isn’t enough light to see and focus on the front sight.

Indoor ranges suck.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 5/25/2018, 12:47 pm

I've also seen people use this: http://www.eyepalusa.com/

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2