Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA Leaving Camp Perry

+41
lonegunman
Corregidor
PhotoEscape
Hawkja
weber1b
Walter D
spursnguns
TonyH
zanemoseley
chopper
Slartybartfast
Anamakee
HogCommander
lyman1903
CR10X
Mel427
Mike M.
Danehogle
Al
LenV
Mike38
brassmaster
dronning
Wobbley
Zippy
tierney
Multiracer
Dcforman
bruce martindale
inthebeech
Outthere
Vociferous
Jon Eulette
Soupy44
Allen Barnett
mikemyers
james r chapman
DeweyHales
mspingeld
jglenn21
john bickar
45 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

NRA Leaving Camp Perry Empty NRA Leaving Camp Perry

Post by john bickar Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:00 pm

"The NRA Competitions Division has advised the CMP that this year's NRA Pistol Championships will be NRA's final competition at Camp Perry, Ohio. The decision to move all NRA championships to Atterbury, Indiana, is a business decision made solely by the NRA. The NRA believes this move will better position it to focus on the continuing battle to protect this country's Second Amendment rights.

The CMP is saddened by the decision, but respects the NRA's need to chart its future.

CMP remains fully committed to Camp Perry and the historic National Rifle and Pistol Matches which have been held there continuously since 1907. CMP will move forward to grow the Camp Perry matches and to continue modernizing the ranges in its partnership with the Ohio National Guard.

CMP and NRA are not at odds. Both organizations look forward to partnering in future competitions serving all competitors."

Wow.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

NRA Leaving Camp Perry Empty Re: NRA Leaving Camp Perry

Post by jglenn21 Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 pm

just got the same email myself..

$$$$
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 pm

What kind of facility is it? Modern? Sheltered ports? etc?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:19 pm

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/local/indiana/indianas-camp-atterbury-to-host-new-nra-marksmanship-center/417-e2ca994d-dddb-4e38-b8fc-9a8d548870a0

Camp Atterbury will be the new Marksmanship center.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:08 pm

It’ll be interesting to see how the facilities compare.

Crowds for P100 may be very different starting in 2020.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm

what kind of onsite housing does Atterbury provide?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Seems rather silly to have to lose Camp Perry because of politics.  I've never been there, but enjoy reading all the stories.

Does Camp Perry need the NRA?   Will there soon be two competing events?

I'm not sure where the event is held will have any effect on second amendment rights.
Maybe there's another reason, $$$$ ?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:31 pm

mikemyers wrote:I'm not sure where the event is held will have any effect on second amendment rights.

Yeah, that smelled fishy to me. Probably need to pay more bonuses to Wayne LaPierre.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm

I my opinion Camp Atterbury is/was a dump.  I was there about 15 years ago conducting an ARTEP (Army Readiness Training Evaluation Program) on one of our MP companies.  Unless they have done tons of improvements since then there was almost nothing in the line of housing and there are no local economy to support housing in the numbers required for holding a National level competition.  If anybody has any high power rifle buddies ask them didn't at least part of the rifle stuff moved to Atterbury?

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:22 pm

Well guys I might have to take back what I just posted.  Went out to the Indiania National Guard web site and they have made some BIG changes.  Not sure how much housing they actually have but from the web site it looks good.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:26 pm

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2019/4/pr-camp-atterbury-to-host-nra-marksmanship-competition-center/
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:38 pm

Change means things will be different.  

Listening to the folks I know of that are in or close to the know, this will be an upgrade with new facilities and better housing.  Coming from smallbore, it was a bit of an insult when they moved it away from Perry to what was considered a facility barely fit to host a regional.

Here's hoping that this will be more like the move from the Yankee Stadium to the New Yankee Stadium, West Side Tennis Club to Flushing Meadows, or Texas Stadium to AT&T Stadium.  For those of you that might not be fans, all of those moves were made for money at the expense of tradition and history!

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:53 pm

Totally Jacks Up Canton and CMP matches.  NRA is affecting lots of people in a negative way. Perry is a crap hole but to just make a decision withour talking to the competitors is especially nice. Very selfishly done.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:15 pm

I am selfishly concerned with the implications that this has for the Canton Regional. I am a life member of the Canton McKinley Rifle and Pistol Club and I know how much the Regional means to our Club (and we have you bullseye shooters to thank for your patronage of our match).

Setting my homerism aside, as a bullseye shooter, this makes little sense to me. It also comes completely out of the blue.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:13 am

The NRA represents me less and less everyday.  Much more so, today.
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:47 am

Jon Eulette wrote:Totally Jacks Up Canton and CMP matches.  NRA is affecting lots of people in a negative way. Perry is a crap hole but to just make a decision withour talking to the competitors is especially nice. Very selfishly done.
Jon
I agree.

The NRA has gotten more like the AARP. They don't care what their members think about anything.

They exist to solicit donations to support their upper management's salaries and benefits. 

People that don't compete in the shooting sports don't understand why competitors do. They think we're foolish and it's a waste of money. 

I apologize for preaching to the choir here.

PS: Jim Supica, who runs the NRA museum, is a great guy.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:24 am

Can someone expand with meaningful detail, what "better position it...." means?  I read enough of these motherhood statements in my own company's press releases and know there that the leadership absolutely could not give the real reason.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 am

Well if CMP steps up, and presents the same match to us that we always had, then Canton is preserved, Perry continues, and the ARN simply evaporates....into insignificance with respect to competition. With their track record, pulling Muzzle loader, high power, smallbore and not even handling the Sectional, Sounds like their goals will be achieved.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:06 am

Not sure anyone else heard this, but the NRA board asked Wayne Lapierre to resign yesterday. He refused. 

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:18 am

Cardinal Shooting Center, Marengo, Ohio

Given the effort put forth to host Camp Perry Pistol matches the last couple of years do you really think that effort will increase this year given the condition of NRA ?

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by tierney Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:01 am

Looking up the scores for rifle from last year it appears that the NRA attracted 123 shooters for Match rifle at Indiana while the CMP attracted 1111 rifle shooters for the Presidents Match

tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by Zippy Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:58 am

Hopefully the CMP will run their own 2700 to fill the gap, the NRA inked a 10 year deal with Camp Atterbury thereby cutting Cardinal out of the mix as well. Hopefully by Perry the CMP will announce something like their own 2700 to fill the gap. I just don't see anyway you can do Canton-Atterbury-Perry logistically. Plus Atterbury is a lot further away.

Zippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 am

If the NRA and CMP were smart, they’d reverse the order and have HP Rifle in July at Atterbury and pistol in August. The CMP would have Pistol in July and HP in August. That way competitors could do both in both sports.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:22 am

It sounds like the NRA is trying to compete with the CMP Talledega Marksmanship park.  If that's the case I will hold my opinion until I see how it rolls out.  That also may be why Cardinal didn't make the cut, they just don't have the layout/land for High Power rifle.

It would have been awesome if the NRA would have had both Pistol & small bore rifle at Cardinal and left HP rifle at Atterbury.

I also wouldn't bet against Cardinal Shooting Center from becoming a go to destination for pistol either.  They tend to have the long view of things.  Buying Larry's Gun's inventory proves they have a bigger plan in mind.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:29 am

"...The decision to move all NRA championships to Atterbury, Indiana, is a business decision made solely by the NRA..." From decades of experience operating monthly, regional and state championships, ideally, the best scenario for our club is to make a small "profit" from these matches; however, at the least we must break even. Any "profit" is invested back into maintaining the range, equipment and paying for liability coverage. It seems to this competitor/match official that the NRA operates with a different mission--squeeze as much profit as possible. I believe this because there was no opportunity that I am aware of for input regarding moving the event to Indiana from the very competitors that make the National Championships successful or no explanation as to what factors went into this "business decision." Just a few short years ago when there appeared to be the possibility of the NRA moving the matches to Cardinal, it created a lot of controversy between two groups--those that supported moving to Cardinal and those that did not. This decision is different because to my knowledge it was kept under wraps until blindsided by yesterday's 7:50p.m. email--not from the NRA, but from the CMP, advising that a ten year deal had been inked. I see this move to Indiana by NRA as an action that will fracture competitors support of the National Matches, while on the other hand I see local and regional matches playing a larger role in Precision Pistol competition because many competitors will not make two separate trips miles apart to participate in what was, for over 100 years successfully accomplished at one location. I wish no ill-will toward the NRA and sincerely hope that the NRA National Championships experience success at their new home in Indiana, but I do believe this bodes well for the NRA or the National Championships.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next