Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA Leaving Camp Perry

+41
lonegunman
Corregidor
PhotoEscape
Hawkja
weber1b
Walter D
spursnguns
TonyH
zanemoseley
chopper
Slartybartfast
Anamakee
HogCommander
lyman1903
CR10X
Mel427
Mike M.
Danehogle
Al
LenV
Mike38
brassmaster
dronning
Wobbley
Zippy
tierney
Multiracer
Dcforman
bruce martindale
inthebeech
Outthere
Vociferous
Jon Eulette
Soupy44
Allen Barnett
mikemyers
james r chapman
DeweyHales
mspingeld
jglenn21
john bickar
45 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

NRA Leaving Camp Perry - Page 3 Empty NRA Leaving Camp Perry

Post by john bickar Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

"The NRA Competitions Division has advised the CMP that this year's NRA Pistol Championships will be NRA's final competition at Camp Perry, Ohio. The decision to move all NRA championships to Atterbury, Indiana, is a business decision made solely by the NRA. The NRA believes this move will better position it to focus on the continuing battle to protect this country's Second Amendment rights.

The CMP is saddened by the decision, but respects the NRA's need to chart its future.

CMP remains fully committed to Camp Perry and the historic National Rifle and Pistol Matches which have been held there continuously since 1907. CMP will move forward to grow the Camp Perry matches and to continue modernizing the ranges in its partnership with the Ohio National Guard.

CMP and NRA are not at odds. Both organizations look forward to partnering in future competitions serving all competitors."

Wow.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

NRA Leaving Camp Perry - Page 3 Empty Re: NRA Leaving Camp Perry

Post by chopper Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:48 am

I'm wondering also why Bullseye competition has to give way to political motives. I think letting CMP run the show at Perry and all Bullseye competition "might" be a good move, afterall if the NRA wants to put all their eggs in one basket and protect the 2nd Amendment let them. I think they do an excellent job there. 
 Maybe the NRA can figure out a way to get more new members from all the other gun owners that aren't. It seems to me there are more that are not members and too cheap to help out, always a few carry the majority. I've talked to quite a few gun owners and they brush it off saying the NRA has plenty of money and don't need their money, or it's impossible for congress to ban guns because our congress needs an overwhelming vote to do so. BTW I dislike phone calling telemarketers.
 I just hope the CMP would use the same rules and structure as the NRAs and keep their current rules separate for the tradition aspect and ease of turnover. I would like to see all old NRA records and such kept and noted from last date NRA ran the competitions and the new NRA ruled competition records noted when CMP took over. Thus meaning only a new governing body is running the show with the old NRA rules in place.
 Just my opinion, Stan.

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel427 Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:05 pm

From the notice that I received from CMP it didn't sound as if NRA was prepared to relinquish anything which leads me to believe that they are possibly going to let the market decide. If shooters stick with them they will most likely continue and if the shooters side with the CMP they will probably let it die a natural death so I don't think this will be resolved anytime soon.
Mel427
Mel427

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:27 pm

chopper wrote:I'm wondering also why Bullseye competition has to give way to political motives. I think letting CMP run the show at Perry and all Bullseye competition "might" be a good move, afterall if the NRA wants to put all their eggs in one basket and protect the 2nd Amendment let them. I think they do an excellent job there. 
 Maybe the NRA can figure out a way to get more new members from all the other gun owners that aren't. It seems to me there are more that are not members and too cheap to help out, always a few carry the majority. I've talked to quite a few gun owners and they brush it off saying the NRA has plenty of money and don't need their money, or it's impossible for congress to ban guns because our congress needs an overwhelming vote to do so. BTW I dislike phone calling telemarketers.
 I just hope the CMP would use the same rules and structure as the NRAs and keep their current rules separate for the tradition aspect and ease of turnover. I would like to see all old NRA records and such kept and noted from last date NRA ran the competitions and the new NRA ruled competition records noted when CMP took over. Thus meaning only a new governing body is running the show with the old NRA rules in place.
 Just my opinion, Stan.
The media has been successful at making out the NRA as only paying lobbyist to protect 2A, unfortunately I have heard that same argument on gun forums.  What about the 42,000 grants the NRA has given out to 4H, Scouts, Schools, Legions, State DNR's etc... for gun safety training... plus range development & improvement grants.  No one seems to give the NRA any credit for the $350 million spent on these grants, maybe if more knew about this part of the NRA more would give.  Every year there is money left on the table because not enough grants are submitted.

I agree bullseye seems to be an orphaned child but all one has to do is look where the shooting sports rank in the NRA Mission Statement (last) and I'd argue we (Bullseye) are near the bottom of the shooting sports.

NRA Mission:  "To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such Constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms." The statement also includes a focus on promoting public safety, training in the safe and efficient handling of small arms, hunter safety, and shooting sport promotion".

If we want that to change we need to make it change, maybe that requires removing Shooting Sports from NRA's Mission, or keep it in but create a new governing body for Bullseye, say PPSUSA Precision Pistol Shooters USA.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by HogCommander Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:56 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to get a quick reply to the email I sent to the CMP requesting a CMP equivalent to the 2700 be created and run in conjunction with the National Trophy Matches at Camp Perry.  

What I requested...
Same courses of fire as an NRA 2700 match
Allows the same firearms/ammunition/equipment as an NRA 2700 match
Same or similar competitor classification system as the NRA (Sharpshooter through High Master)
Mechanism for tracking national records set in the new match

[size=42]The response came from Mr. Mark Johnson, CMP Chief Operating Officer.  His response was,[/size]

Thank you for your input.

All you have requested are in the works now, similar to CMP Cup matches in high power rifle.

Best Regards,

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
[url=tel:+12568358455,416](256) 835-8455 ext 416[/url]
www.thecmp.org

HogCommander

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:25 pm

and you thought two years ago was a major FUBAR... What a Face
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.
After being granted a charter by the state of New York on November 17, 1871, the NRA was founded. Civil War Gen. Ambrose Burnside, who was also the former governor of Rhode Island and a U.S. senator, became the fledgling NRA's first president.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:34 pm

I hope you like shooting in electronic targets.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel427 Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:45 pm

by Danehogle

I hope you like shooting in electronic targets.

For bullseye? I can't speak for others but I would probably enjoy it. No time wasted scoring, no arguments, faster relays. If they set it up that you can track of your hits on your phone instead of dragging out spotting scopes all you would need is pistol, magazines, ammo maybe a tool for sights and that's it.
Mel427
Mel427

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:56 pm

having shot BE at the Talladega Park in Al. on electronic targets, I have to say I really don't care for it.. EIC matches are OK but you have no time to stop and rest or think about it.. no shooter interaction other than the person next to you and the darn things don't work 100% of the time..  oh there are "discussions" over scores believe me.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:57 pm

it would be Far too expensive to have enough of them for the nationals..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:02 pm

I've never shot at electronic targets but hear the light system can be tricky to adapt to. I also enjoy walking to see the targets versus seeing it on a screen as well as the interaction with other shooters.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:58 pm

Dave, I never knew that NRA gave out that kind of money in grants, that makes me feel good. I wished the media would let the rest of the people know that, maybe some 2 minute TV infomercials.
 Jim, I don't know about them electronic targets either, they have to be programmed somehow, I'd rather talk to a person than a computer about a close shot.
 Zane, I like interaction also, makes for a fun experience when you can talk and meet new shooters as you walk up to score each others targets. You never know you might make a new friend and we all can't have enough of them.
 Very interesting stuff said.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:13 am

I've never seen a TV ad promoting all the NRA programs and the good that the NRA does. I've never seen a TV ad promoting the competitive shooting sports.

Nowadays, social media is the medium of choice.

The NRA needs to have a positive presence in social media if they want to succeed going forward. Social media is here to stay and the NRA is getting hammered there.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 am

Funny thing is our AP range has the old electronic targets from the cmp AP range in Anniston and i love them for AP. Should be great for high power too. No pit work.. the Talladega park itself is beautiful and a great public facility..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:46 am

Is  Talledega nice... yep 
And how many pistol positions do they have.?
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:53 am

I don't recall exactly but around 25 or so. nice covered range.. there are some pictures of it on the Talladega web site from a few EIC matches. the highpower range is really nice.. right out the back door of the main building and you can watch them shoot from the deck or stay inside and watch score on a large screen as they happen
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:06 am

pictures of the pistol range and the park itself.

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x888bc53a24b31987%3A0xf0effe62b5b817c8!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOYKC3u27HbRoM2pGpEhgghEofhaqCp-RZdBOUT%3Dw86-h87-n-k-no!5stalladega park - Google]https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x888bc53a24b31987%3A0xf0effe62b5b817c8!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOYKC3u27HbRoM2pGpEhgghEofhaqCp-RZdBOUT%3Dw86-h87-n-k-no!5stalladega%20park%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOnl4uO67jyYl7mcPpn6cYz3DqF-TBCcP6YQwS0[/url]
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Yes... nice and to small to hold more than 100 pistol shooters.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:34 pm

electric target are $$$$
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Wed May 01, 2019 7:34 am

Here is the NRA 'Shooting Sports USA' announcement or article posted a few days ago. Follow the 'Camp Atterbury' link to see a little history of the NG base.
Love Rolling Eyes the quote from LaPierre:
"Since our inception, the NRA's roots have been in our competitive shooting programs", says NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, adding, "We look forward to having our National Matches at Camp Atterbury, Indiana, and to offer competitive shooters a centralized location to compete while protecting our Second Amendment freedoms."
Break up the matches first, move some to a couple of different locations, then pat yourself on the back and offer competitive shooters a centralized location (which is at a different time and location from the centralized location they were already at). Here's hoping it all works out for them, and of course, the competitors. This will only be my second year attending, but I doubt I will be able to attend (time and expense) both the CMP and the NRA matches and I live within driving distance of both locations.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed May 01, 2019 10:19 am

There are a bunch of us on the West Coast that do not think Camp Perry is anywhere near central.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

Wobbley wrote:There are a bunch of us on the West Coast that do not think Camp Perry is anywhere near central.  

+100, albeit there may not be such a thing.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Wed May 01, 2019 10:34 am

All the promotional hype is reminiscent of the "New Coke" that fell flat on its face.

Yes, there are issues at Perry. Yes, they get complained about, but at the end of the day it's Camp Perry. It can be one of the toughest ranges to shoot well. Winds approaching what we shoot on a daily basis in ND. And everyone shoots on the same course in pretty much the same conditions.

I would have the same feelings whether it was Atterbury or the Cardinal Center.

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Wed May 01, 2019 12:05 pm

Wobbley wrote:There are a bunch of us on the West Coast that do not think Camp Perry is anywhere near central.  
  Center of USA would be somewhere near central Nebraska about Nebraska-Kansas border.

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Wed May 01, 2019 12:06 pm

Maybe the World Shooting Complex, Sparta, Illinois.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next