Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson Conversion Kit

+28
mustachio
apipeguy
kczerwin
LenV
STEVE SAMELAK
1joel1
KB2MBC
Wobbley
DanQ
lablover
adminbot1911
chiz1180
JIMPGOV
bob7398
Tim:H11
heli_av8tor
jglenn21
Jack H
Jon Eulette
Dcforman
mspingeld
DA/SA
Sc0
Kp321
dronning
dapduh2
james r chapman
mikemyers
32 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Empty Nelson Conversion Kit

Post by mikemyers 7/13/2019, 8:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Img_8610
(Photo updated July 23, 2019 with Baer lower)

After a lot of thought and browsing, I ordered a Nelson Conversion Kit several months ago, not expecting it to arrive until September, but it showed up several weeks ago.  I left it sitting in the box until I had some free time.

I installed it this afternoon on my Salyer Caspian, after watching a few videos of how these kits work.  Everything went so smoothly, I was amazed.  It's now on the gun, but I will wait until Monday to call the people at Nelson, and ask a few questions.

Anyone here have any advice or suggestions to get the most out of these kits?

One of the videos showed a fellow installing a Marvel conversion, and then he squeezed out what looks like Wilson grease all over the kit - it reminded me of dispensing ketchup onto a hamburger.  I'm sure that is wrong, but that leads to a question - is there a guide I haven't found yet that recommends what to do regarding lubrication?

Next, since it's a 22, I assume dry-firing is out unless I find some dummy rounds so the gun won't be damaged.  Is this correct?

Is CCI Standard Velocity ammo best for it?

I bought it with a rail, and I think a light-weight sight would be best for me, but my Aimpoint Micro has a Kodiak mount that won't fit onto the rail.  I think I'll buy the standard Aimpoint mount, which should work fine.  In the meantime, I mounted my Matchdot II (which I bought through this forum). Any recommendations for which sights work best?  I found a discussion about using it with an Aimpoint 9000sc.  I could put that on as well.  Is that overkill?

Not sure what I was expecting, but the Nelson Conversion Kit is just plain beautiful.  It looks well made, it seems to be easy to use, and it was effortless to install.  It's everything I expected, and a lot more.  I was on the phone for well over an hour discussing the kit with the people at Nelson before I bought it, and it seems to me it was worth the long wait.  I had looked at the other sources of conversion kits, and I kept coming back to the Nelson.  I guess my "test" of it, will be how it shoots for me compared to my Model 41.  One nice thing is it "feels" the same as the 45 Springfield I'm now using.  My hands go to the same positions, and the weight feels very similar, maybe a little heavier probably due to the sight (the 45 has an Ultradot L/T which feels like it weighs nothing...)

My next match is in two weeks.  I was planning on using my Model 41, but it had so many "issues" I was thinking of using a revolver.  I think I solved the issues, but if I get used to the Nelson, that's another option.

Last edited by mikemyers on 7/23/2019, 3:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Empty Re: Nelson Conversion Kit

Post by KB2MBC 7/28/2019, 4:31 pm

So, I purchased a Nelson back in the beginning of April, took delivery at Camp Perry along with 4 magazines.
Today I finally decided to give it a whirl, I slipped in on top of a Colt National Match, accurized by Clark Sr. circa. 1969
At the range, at times not all magazines would stay inserted. Then, starting with the slide back, I did the "slingshot" with the slide to chamber the first round, it jammed. I'm starting to get bummed out. 
The ammo I used for todays outing was SK STANDARD Plus, my go-to ammo that works in every .22 I have.
Decided to try other mags. One of the 4 magazines would only go in 3/4 the way and stop dead, it was hitting something solid, don't know what.
The other three did but didn't feed worth a poop. Usually a round wouldn't chamber completely, leaving the slide out of battery, sometimes as far out as 1/4". I could put it into battery with a little push, experiencing very little resistance.
I did manage to get around 13 off, couple of tens to boot.
I finally gave up, unloaded the Nelson mags and loaded them into my Xesse. Sent all 7 down range without incident.
When I got home, I took the mags and inserted each of them into a Springfield RO and a Kimber no problem. Something with the Colt I guess.
I ended up purchasing the mainspring kit and #19 mainspring from Brownells, hopefully I can give it another rip next weekend.
Something about those magazines though...
KB2MBC
KB2MBC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/28/2019, 5:02 pm

I must be lucky.  Never a problem with fit, feed, or function with Marvel, Advantage, or Nelson on Les Baer by Roddy, or on a Range officer.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/28/2019, 5:19 pm

Before I post any of my results from today's match, some of what you wrote I can relate to.

I bought the Nelson intending on eventually mounting it on my Caspian frame.  It didn't seem to work correctly, but in hindsight I think it was because of the CCI SV ammo I was using.  I moved it to my Springfield, but still no-go.  I hadn't yet started to suspect the ammo as the cause, but I was wondering about it.  I thought I'd make things easy, and moved it to my Les Baer Premiere II, and I think I had two issues - first, the ammo, and also that the ammo didn't have enough power to work with the Baer.  I changed the Nelson recoil spring from 9# to 8#, and things got better, but not well enough to use it.

That's when I bought two metal magazines, which today didn't seem to work in my Nelson at all - I'll post a photo later, I think they sold me the wrong magazines.

After re-assembling my Caspian frame 1911 yesterday, I took it to the match this morning.  It didn't work, but as I found out hours later, it was the CCI ammo.

A friend gave me some "Federal Premium TARGET ammo, 40 grain solid, 1080 fps.  It worked perfectly with the Nelson, but he only gave me 30 rounds.

So after the match, I was switching back and forth between the CCI and the Eley.  The CCI felt almost "sticky", and the Eley felt like someone had just sprayed them with some kind of lubricant.  Wow.  I finally got to shoot the Nelson for about an hour, getting used to it.  I'm very happy with it.

Since then, I've learned that the Nelson is picky about the frame you mount it on.  If some of the frame components are too high/low, the Nelson may not function.  If you buy metal magazines supposedly for the Nelson, there are adjustments that need to be made.  If the main spring in the frame is too strong, the 22 rounds may not have enough power to get everything to work (my Baer had a 23# spring, and Larry recommends a 19# spring).

My advice is for you to document everything, send an email to Larry Nelson, let him discuss it with Kevin, his son, then call him, or ask. him to call you.

Among other things, he will probably have you mount the Nelson onto your Colt, then let you look "inside" and see if the magazines are interfering with the ejector.  There is also a concern about the magazine release - the video I posted earlier shows how you can swap a non-standard magazine release for a standard one, something necessary on the Range Officer guns.    You wrote that not all the magazines would stay installed - maybe this ties in with the magazine release.  Sounds like a clue to me, but I'm still just learning.......
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/28/2019, 5:21 pm

Depress the mag release when inserting stiff mags. See if that works better.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/28/2019, 5:25 pm

james r chapman wrote:Depress the mag release when inserting stiff mags. See if that works better.
Jim, I had that problem on the Baer, but on the Caspian, they just slide right in.  
Aren't all magazine releases and the opening in the frame supposed to be the same?
Maybe "supposed to", but tolerances get in the way.....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/28/2019, 5:27 pm

9s and 45s are not
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/28/2019, 5:40 pm

Mike, you mention swapping non standard mag release on a range Officer?  What’s not standard about it?  I use my marvel on my RO all the time and am seeing no issues at all.  I’m curious about this non standard mag release.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/28/2019, 6:23 pm

lablover wrote:Mike, you mention swapping non standard mag release on a range Officer?  What’s not standard about it?  I use my marvel on my RO all the time and am seeing no issues at all.  I’m curious about this non standard mag release.
If you start to watch this video, starting 14 minutes in, you'll see how the person needs to swap out the mag release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIpPMFm5ubM

If you talk to Larry, it has something to do with the magazine release being at the wrong height.  I don't understand it.  I think Larry sells the other mag release if you need it, but on my Caspian and Baer. no changes are needed.  Not sure on my Springfield yet.....

Last edited by mikemyers on 7/28/2019, 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo...)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/28/2019, 6:34 pm

mikemyers wrote:
lablover wrote:Mike, you mention swapping non standard mag release on a range Officer?  What’s not standard about it?  I use my marvel on my RO all the time and am seeing no issues at all.  I’m curious about this non standard mag release.
If you start to watch this video, starting 14 minutes in, you'll see how the person needs to swap out the mag release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIpPMFm5ubM

If you talk to Larry, it has something to do with the magazine release being at the wrong height.  I don't understand it.  I think Larry sells the other mag release if you need it, but on my Caspian and Baer. mp changes are needed.  Not sure on my Springfield yet.....
Thanks for the explanation.  Hope you solve your issue..I totally understand how it feels
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/28/2019, 7:17 pm

My GSG magazines arrived, and Larry explained how to remove the pin so the magazines would fit properly into the gun for use with the Nelson.  The "slot" in the middle of the magazine doesn't go high enough.  Check the photo below to see what I mean.

I was surprised today to find that I was never able to fire a single round from the GSG magazines - It doesn't say on the box what they are for, but I specified for Nelson.  I think the slot for the mag release is too high....    it's obvious if you scroll the image up and down, and you'll see the difference.

Not even the first round would load into the Nelson.  

Am I missing something here?

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Img_3510
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/28/2019, 7:22 pm

This photo makes it more obvious:
With the notch lower, if my magazine catch goes into the slot, the top of the magazine will be lower.    :-(

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Img_3511
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 7/28/2019, 7:39 pm

KB2MBC wrote: I did the "slingshot" with the slide to chamber the first round, it jammed. I'm starting to get bummed out. 
I discovered almost immediately on my Marvel that inserting the charged magazine with the slide closed, and then racking the slide briskly solved any chambering issues with the first round. It was doing what yours does, and still does if I get stupid and forget to rack briskly.

Don't just pull it back and let it go, pull it back briskly enough that your fingers pull off of the slide when the slide reaches the end of it's travel.

Haven't had any issues since.

As to ammo, mine has functioned fine on CCI SV, Aguila SV, and Gecko, which is all I've tried.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/28/2019, 8:30 pm

Hmm, disregard that last post for now.   I'm home, and able to check things out more closely.  Yes, the magazine did not go in far enough, but pushing in the mag release button allows it to go further.  

I'll try this at the range tomorrow or Tuesday.  

If so, I'd much rather not have to push in the mag release button to load a magazine, but I need to test this out........
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 7/29/2019, 6:29 am

Look into getting a lighter mag catch spring.Wolff makes them and Brownells sells them. Easier to press and the maga insert easier
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/29/2019, 7:15 am

jglenn21 wrote:Look into getting a lighter mag catch spring.Wolff makes them and Brownells sells them. Easier to press and the maga insert easier
Thanks - I saw something written about this, and ordered the parts.  I haven't even looked at them yet.
It's Wolff "stock number 27170", and includes Brownells "reduced power mag catch spring".   All together there are five springs included in the kit. 

Instead of taking mine apart, I also got the Ed Brown "Checkered Magazine Catch" and the Ed Brown "Rebuild Kit for 1911" which supposedly includes the parts I need to assemble a complete unit.  If not, I'll need to order what I'm missing.

One more thing to work on today.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/30/2019, 7:56 am

Thanks to Dave Salyer, I realize I didn't properly illustrate the GSG magazine issue.

This is why the magazine pin needs to be removed.  If left in place, the magazine doesn't go far enough into the slide when you fire the last shot and the slide locks open, but the slide release can't move up as high as it should.  Eventually the slide gets damaged.

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Img_2913

And here is what the GSG magazine looks like the way it comes at the right (with the loading pin), and on the left what it looks like with the loading pin removed, which allows the magazine to go higher so the slide release locks properly.  There's still enough of the hole showing, for me to use a small Allen wrench as a loading tool.  Larry suggests I disassemble the magazine, and lengthen the slot, so it goes a bit higher, so the pin can remain in place.

Added later - I just realized the GSG has that "square block" at the top left, which pulls down the innards, making it a perfect loading tool.  I'm slow - just realized what it was for.
Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Img_2211

I was wondering how I would load 5 rounds without the pin to pull down on, but a small Allen wrench solves that problem for me.  

I just found out that the square block at the top left IS the loading tool.  No additional tools required!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 7/30/2019, 8:48 am

That is really weird. I have never removed the pin, but I do file one of the lips when I get a new GSG magazine and then there are no problems. It takes 30 seconds and the mags work perfectly.

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 7/30/2019, 9:33 am

While you can use the "square block" to help start loading the magazine, it's first purpose in life is to engage the slide stop.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/30/2019, 9:40 am

1joel1 wrote:That is really weird. I have never removed the pin, but I do file one of the lips when I get a new GSG magazine and then there are no problems. It takes 30 seconds and the mags work perfectly.

If you “file one of the lips”, which one and from what configuration to which configuration? What needs to be altered? How much? What does it look like when it’s done? Just saying “file one of the lips” is way too vague.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/30/2019, 9:42 am

Wobbley wrote:
1joel1 wrote:That is really weird. I have never removed the pin, but I do file one of the lips when I get a new GSG magazine and then there are no problems. It takes 30 seconds and the mags work perfectly.

If you “file one of the lips”, which one and from what configuration to which configuration?  What needs to be altered? How much?  What does it look like when it’s done?   Just saying “file one of the lips” is way too vague.
I was wondering the same thing
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/30/2019, 3:12 pm

Went to the range today.  
My Nelson kit on Caspian using Nelson magazines worked perfectly.
My Nelson kit on Caspian using GSG magazines worked sometimes.  I'm done with GSG, sending them back.

That "block" on GSG magazines that I thought was for loading, and apparently is really for engaging the slide stop, only allowed me to load four rounds.

If I leave the pin in place, the last round will damage my slide.

If I remove the pin, there is no easy way to load that I know of - I used a small Allen wrench passing it through the hole.

Forgetting everything else, the Nelson magazine is much lighter, and slides in and out of the gun with no effort.  To push the GSG magazine into the gun, I needed to depress the slide release button.

Until some other problem sneaks in there, I'm going with Nelson kit, Nelson magazines, Eley ammo, and I'll buy a second "loading tool" so I have it in case mine gets lost in a grass field, or eaten by an alligator.  The gun was a pleasure to shoot.  It's wonderful putting pressure on the trigger and not having to worry about what may or may not happen!  I gave it a present yesterday to top it off.  9000sc.  More weight, but such a beautiful view and dot !  (I probably should say I attached the Nelson to the sight, not the other way 'round...)

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Img_0713
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/30/2019, 9:21 pm

I have a simple question, but first some basic information.  I started with the Aimpoint H-1 on my Nelson, and loved the light weight, but the front end of the gun "fluttered";  Maybe it was my heartbeat, maybe my body, but the image in the sight wasn't stable.  I thought I could improve it by adding weight - so I put on the 9000sc, and the gun got much more stable.  That was good, but after an hour of practice it felt too heavy to shoot well.  Targets started getting worse, so I stopped.  Came home and put the H-1 back on, and it was like before.  H-1 was mounted all the way to the rear.  After puzzling over this for an hour, I moved the Aimpoint closer to the front of the gun, maybe 1/3 of the way from the front.  That did the trick, and the "wiggles" went away.  

With the wiggles gone, the gun behaves like some of you have discussed here - the remaining "wiggle" go through a cycle, best, worst, best, worst, and so on, and I I ever learn how to do what you guys do, shoot when the wiggle is smallest, that will be good.

Back to the range tomorrow, to see if this helped or hurt.

On to the question.  If my reasoning so far is valid, I think I can buy a weight that screws onto the front of the barrel.  On larger guns, a weight near the front apparently is to minimize the rise in the front of the gun  from recoil as you fire.  The Nelson has no recoil to speak of, so if I were to get one, would it stabilize that end of the gun as I think it will?

What do you guys do - and why?

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Img_1911
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 7/31/2019, 8:19 am

I don't use weights on any 1911 frame, because if I want more weight, I'll put on a heavier optic.  It looks like this is an option for you.  If fatigue is a factor, recommend more wall drills.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/31/2019, 8:53 am

adminbot1911 wrote:I don't use weights on any 1911 frame, because if I want more weight, I'll put on a heavier optic.  It looks like this is an option for you.  If fatigue is a factor, recommend more wall drills.
Dave Salyer sent me a magazine he had filled with lead.  I use that for half my fry-firing practice, most nights, on and off for one to two hours.
I've gotten better over the years, but it is still a struggle.
I might be wrong, but I was thinking the Nelson weight that screws onto the treaded extension from the slide would help stabilize that end of the gun.  

I could try your suggestion, and put my Matchdot II on the Nelson, heavier than the Micro, but a good bit lighter than the 3000sc.  
Or, I could buy the one inch Matchdot, which Dave prefers, lighter than the slightly larger one I have.
Thanks.  
(Three years ago, I could barely hold my 1911 out in front of me for a full minute, using both hands.  Things are much better now, but I've still got a ways to go.....)

Nelson Conversion Kit - Page 6 Giphy
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/31/2019, 9:34 am

Its sad Mike. It looks like you have it all figured out... And still have an ugly hammer. Laughing
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next