Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Atterberry pistol range

+39
SingleActionAndrew
K38
Outthere
James Hensler
valbern67
tovaert
Allen Barnett
Robuc
Mike38
Danehogle
Jack H
Colt711
oxbowbob
john bickar
JIMPGOV
PhotoEscape
CR10X
tierney
straybrit
patch175
Caster3845
ChipEck
dennymac
-TT-
John Dervis
mprince
Dcforman
adminbot1911
SteveT
Multiracer
ted.carter.568
orpheoet
Al
Wobbley
jmdavis
chopper
james r chapman
dronning
xman
43 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Camp Atterberry pistol range - Page 2 Empty Camp Atterberry pistol range

Post by xman Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:40 am

First topic message reminder :

After reading and looking at the photos from Perry, I noticed that the 50yd line and the 25yd line were separate.
This meant collecting up your gear and future targets and hustling  over to the next stage.

I am wondering if Camp Atterberry will be setup the same. Anyone have a clue?

I can understand the reasoning in the Perry set up..It allows shooters to fire during different conditions, etc.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Camp Atterberry pistol range - Page 2 Empty Re: Camp Atterberry pistol range

Post by -TT- Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 pm

At Perry, I heard a rumor that there may eventually be electronic scoring on the Atterbury pistol range, like at least one rifle range there. Anyone can corroborate that?

Regarding the new Cardinal ranges, I definitely agree. I checked out the end of the smallbore rifle matches there and it was an impressive operation. They're building out something like 150 more stations at 100yd, and another 50 at 50m. In addition to welcome centers, and existing hundreds of action pistol, trap, sporting clay, etc stations. Quite the plans!
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Camp Atterberry pistol range - Page 2 Empty Separate firing lines

Post by dennymac Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:05 pm

The best reason that I can think of for having separate firing lines, aside from having to hump your gear forth and back, is allowing for the use of the 25 and the 50 yard lines at the same time for practice. It also allows for using both target distances during some of the new shooter clinic type of matches that I have seen. It allows new shooters to fire at the 25 yard line for slow fire while more experienced shooters fire at the 50 yard line. It takes some of the intimidation out of their first few visits to the outdoor match format. Personally, I hope for one firing line and 2 sets of targets. After all, the 50 yard targets do not need to turn. They just need to be bulletproof. Wayne McLeod

dennymac

Back to top Go down

Post by ted.carter.568 Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Walt Walters (NRA Board member and High Power Rifle Committee Chair) passed me the below and attached information and photos concerning Camp Atterbury.

The Director of Competitions has informed me that a Camp Atterbury information link will be set up on the NRA Competitions website this fall.

Will update as information becomes available.

Ted

Camp Atterbury (general information)

In 2020 NRA national matches in Precision Pistol, Smallbore Rifle and High-Power Rifle will be held at Camp Atterbury, Indiana.  Camp Atterbury in an active duty National Guard base owned by the Indiana National Guard.

The base is located in Indiana approximately 35 miles South, Southeast of Indianapolis.  If you are arriving from the South take exit 78A off of I-85 onto Highway 31.  Follow Highway 31 North approximately 5 miles and turn left onto Hospital Road.  Proceed about 2 miles west and you will arrive at the main gate to Camp Atterbury.  To enter the base you must show identification, your driver’s license will suffice.  Page 1 will show you some of the places you may wish to visit.  Just inside the gate on the first street you come to, on the left is the housing office.

To get to the Entry/Stat office NRA will have road signs for you to follow.  However, if you continue down Eaggleston Rd it will take you past the air field to Range 6.  You will pass the 1000, 900, 800, and 600-yard lines. The road will dead-end just in front of the 600-yard line.  Take a right and follow the road to the ENTRY/STAT office. (See page 4).

The new ranges are set to begin construction on November 1st of this year and will be ready for testing on approximately May 1st.  The range will be facing south.  The pistol range will be 300 firing points, 4 feet on center while the smallbore range will be 100 firing points, 6 feet on center.  Firing may be conducted out to a distance of 100 meters.  The range will have a covered firing line with a roof extension forward to cover the competitors from the sun.  In that same area behind the range will be the NRA entry/stat office and provisions for scoring and hanging targets.  There will be plenty of parking in this area.

The known distance firing, high-power ranges are configured as follows:  range six has 50 firing points out to 1000 yards.  Ranges 5 and 4 have 50 firing points out to 500 yards and range 3 has about 12 firing points out to 1000 yards with provisions for 50 points but the berms are not complete. 

When you visit you will find the people on base are very cooperative, want you there and will help you in whatever way they can.

The NRA has acquired two barracks style quarters for junior teams.  One for females and one for males.  Each building had 2-48 bed quarters with showers and bathrooms in the center.  Lockers are available but competitors must bring their own lock.  Teams will require at least on chaperone.  The facilities will be available at $40/Night per team regardless of the size of the team.  Sheet and pillow cases will be available for rent at $5.50.

Quarters for adult competitors are $32 and #35 per night.  It is a motel room with a separate bedroom, kitchen area, sitting room with a TV and a dining area with table and chairs. The bathroom is separate for $35 and shared for $32.

There is a trailer Park for RVs but my understanding is you must be a veteran, retired of active duty to use it.  On base there is a BX where health and comfort items may be purchased and a Subway Franchise for breakfast, lunch and dinner if you are into that type of cuisine.

In the area, off base, within short driving distance, you will find at least three major hotel chains, and most any restaurant of your choice.  Three small towns are within 15 miles.  Franklin on north Hwy 31, Edinburgh is east on Hospital Road and Columbus is south about 15 miles.
Attachments
Camp Atterberry pistol range - Page 2 Attachment
CA.pg1.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(273 Kb) Downloaded 29 times
CA.pg2.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(222 Kb) Downloaded 23 times
CA.pg3.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(207 Kb) Downloaded 25 times
CA.pg4.jpeg You don't have permission to download attachments.(229 Kb) Downloaded 30 times
Camp Atterbury description.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(98 Kb) Downloaded 14 times

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Thank you! Great information.

I am interested in more info about on base housing, if and when it is available. How many adult rooms are there? how many will be available to regular competitors? How/when can we reserve rooms? What is the priority used?
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:09 pm

I got excited when I saw they had an air range there (thinking air pistol)... But their air range was not exactly what I was looking for:-)

Chip
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by Caster3845 Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Chip......Maybe they will let you use a drone with an air pistol attached (if you use HE pellets).....Paul
Caster3845
Caster3845

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:35 pm

:-)
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by ted.carter.568 Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:51 pm

SteveT wrote:Thank you! Great information.

I am interested in more info about on base housing, if and when it is available. How many adult rooms are there? how many will be available to regular competitors? How/when can we reserve rooms? What is the priority used?

I don't have any information available on lodging, the link may help: https://www.atterburymuscatatuck.in.ng.mil/Staying-with-Us/Visitor-Information/ .  I've asked the Dir of Competitions to please include Atterbury lodging information when the Atterbury website goes live this fall.

ted.carter.568

Back to top Go down

Post by patch175 Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:05 pm

Has the NRA conducted any surveys to gauge the number of shooters thinking about attending the matches at Atterberry?

The high power and rim fire rifle shooter stats suggest that 300 firing points may be excessive. I've also heard complaints from my rifle shooter friends that the south facing rifle firing points resulted in sun shining in their eyes.

patch175

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:16 pm

I don't know about the NRA, but Fur and Feather had an informal count of folks attending Perry next year vs Atterbury, my untrained eye had the Perry group outnumbering the Atterbury group about 5-2.  

This was during pistol week though so the total count may have been a lot different after the rifle shooters had their say.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:35 pm

I popped into the CMP site to see what they're proposing to do at Perry next year. I see the normal EIC/NTT/P100 etc matches - but what's a 'CMP pistol aggregate match'? A 3 gun 2700 as per NRA bullseye?

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by tierney Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:34 am

At the National Matches the Individual Pistol Agg. is a paper match consisting the total of your scores in the NTI, NTT and the Presidents match.  In the travel Games there are 2 different aggs: the Service Pistol Agg consisting of the scores from the Service Pistol EIC match; the Service Pistol Team Match;and the 40 shot Service Pistol Match. The 2nd agg in the travel Games is the Individual Overall Agg consisting of all the scores from the Service Pistol Agg plus the As Issued 1911 match and the Military and Police Match.

tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:50 am

And the CMP didn't run 800 agg rifle matches at Perry until the NRA moved rifle with 4 months notice, but now they do and 1000 aggs, 1600 and 2400s. The CMP knows how to run matches. 

But I am amused by people complaining about undefined matches 9 months out but believing that a completely new facility is a slam dunk in 9 months. We could note that the August preliminary plans were not shared with us and that the final plans are due on Tuesday. 

I wonder if the final plans will be done on Tuesday for the pistol ranges at Atterbury.
jmdavis
jmdavis

DRNurse1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 am

straybrit wrote:I popped into the CMP site to see what they're proposing to do at Perry next year. I see the normal EIC/NTT/P100 etc matches - but what's a 'CMP pistol aggregate match'? A 3 gun 2700 as per NRA bullseye?
My understanding is that yes, the CMP will run a 2700 NRA rules match in the days prior to the normal CMP stuff. So basically the same as it's always been, but it won't be the "National Matches". Not sure on the Harry Reeves/DR/Prelim stuff.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Jim:

I've got to disagree a little with "The CMP knows how to run matches."  CMP President's, NIT, and NTT line callers did not have or follow the correct commands actually included in the CMP rules on my range on Sunday.  John and I had to point out the changes that needed to be made in the script to be correct. The line volunteers didn't have a clue about plugs or scoring. 

And if you happened to shoot on the "new" CMP metal frame turning targets on range 3, how did you like the 2 to 4 seconds of continued vibration after the targets turned?  The new turning mechanism needs some tuning and buffers. 

I'm sure they will get better, but its not a slam dunk for them either.  I'm also waiting to find out how the CMP will determine a classification system, assuming they will use one for a 2700 type match. 

Now what would be interesting is if the NRA were to continue the National Pistol Championship 2700 with either metallic or open sights (major trophy for open) and the CMP have a Regional NRA Pistol Match 2700 with metallic or open sights (major trophy for metallic) and the standard CMP National Pistol Match.  

And nobody overlap matches; let Bristol IN, Cardinal and Canton OH have their regional matches first, then NRA and CMP swap going first and second each year.  That gets us (pistol shooters) the most options over a period of about 3 to 4 weeks. 

Let's just say I'm looking forward to shooting more matches, not have to choose which one(s) to shoot if they overlap.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:12 pm

CR10X wrote:...
While I'm sitting here grumpily composing a response that includes everything that's wrong in the world (of bullseye national matches), leave it to Cecil to express many of the same thoughts, but in an upbeat and positive tone. Thanks Cecil.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:43 pm

CR10X wrote:
...... let Bristol IN, Cardinal and Canton OH have their regional matches first, then NRA and CMP swap going first and second each year.  That gets us (pistol shooters) the most options over a period of about 3 to 4 weeks. 

Let's just say I'm looking forward to shooting more matches, not have to choose which one(s) to shoot if they overlap.

CR

+1
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:34 pm

jmdavis wrote:But I am amused by people complaining about undefined matches 9 months out but believing that a completely new facility is a slam dunk in 9 months.

Complaining? I merely asked for information as I didn't recognise the term. I'm sorry if that offended you in some way.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 pm

THIS IS TO ADDRESS THAT THE RANGE WONT BE FINISHED.

I JUST FINISHED SHOOTING THE NATIONAL POLICE SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIP (POORLY, I HAVEN'T SHOT PPC IN OVER 3 YEAR) AT PEARL,MS. IT WAS ANNOUNCED IN MAY AND CONSTRUCTION THAN BEGAN. IT WAS MOVED FROM ALBQ, NM. THE RANGE WAS COMPLETED ON TIME. 100 POSITIONS, TURNING TARGETS, ALUMINUM TARGET STORAGE STANDS AT EACH POSITION.  POURED CONCRETE SHOOTING POSITIONS AT 3, 7, 15, 25, 50 AND 60YDS. RANGE TOWER, BERM, BARRICADES AT 25 & 50YDS, HYDRO SEEDED AND SOD LAID. IN 11 YEARS ALBQ NEVER FINISHED WHAT THEY SAID THEY WOULD DO.

I ESSENCE, IT CAN BE DONE ON TIME .
JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:17 pm

JIMPGOV wrote:THIS IS TO ADDRESS THAT THE RANGE WONT BE FINISHED.

I JUST FINISHED SHOOTING THE NATIONAL POLICE SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIP (POORLY, I HAVEN'T SHOT PPC IN OVER 3 YEAR) AT PEARL,MS. IT WAS ANNOUNCED IN MAY AND CONSTRUCTION THAN BEGAN. IT WAS MOVED FROM ALBQ, NM. THE RANGE WAS COMPLETED ON TIME. 100 POSITIONS, TURNING TARGETS, ALUMINUM TARGET STORAGE STANDS AT EACH POSITION.  POURED CONCRETE SHOOTING POSITIONS AT 3, 7, 15, 25, 50 AND 60YDS. RANGE TOWER, BERM, BARRICADES AT 25 & 50YDS, HYDRO SEEDED AND SOD LAID. IN 11 YEARS ALBQ NEVER FINISHED WHAT THEY SAID THEY WOULD DO.

I ESSENCE, IT CAN BE DONE ON TIME .
JP

Was that done by the government, in the winter, in Indiana?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:28 pm

WHAT DOES IT SAY?

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:06 pm

Hahaha, exactly. Smile
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:56 pm

Indiana has a winter??  LOL
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:41 am

john bickar wrote:Hahaha, exactly. Smile
We do need a dripping with sarcasm emoji!!!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxbowbob Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:16 am

Camp Atterberry pistol range - Page 2 Th?id=OIP.y60u5h9oymKyk8sLQVfcEQAAAA&w=219&h=199&c=7&o=5&pid=1
oxbowbob
oxbowbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next