Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA Classification Question

+6
Wobbley
james r chapman
STEVE SAMELAK
dronning
LenV
ssauer2004
10 posters

Go down

NRA Classification Question Empty NRA Classification Question

Post by ssauer2004 10/18/2019, 1:12 pm

I'm shooting in an indoor .22 bullseye league this fall and winter.  I previously shot in the league about eight years ago.  At that time, it was my first year and I was classified as a Tyro.  I'm not sure about what my next classification is going to be next season.  I'm most likely going to average between 270 and 275 this season.  Will I skip Marksman and jump straight to Sharpshooter or do you have to spend a set number of years in each classification?
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

NRA Classification Question Empty Re: NRA Classification Question

Post by LenV 10/18/2019, 1:20 pm

270-275 are Expert scores. If you were shooting those scores last year and if your indoor league reports its scores (that's a big if) then you should already have your expert card. However, NRA is in a meltdown right now and lots of us are waiting on different things. Good luck and good shooting.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/18/2019, 1:21 pm

If it's been more than 4 (or 5) years since you last shot you will be unclassified.
Be aware the league scores are submitted as a total at the end of the season, so your classification won't officially change until then.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 10/18/2019, 1:23 pm

LenV wrote:270-275 are Expert scores. If you were shooting those scores last year and if your indoor league reports its scores (that's a big if) then you should already have your expert card. However, NRA is in a meltdown right now and lots of us are waiting on different things. Good luck and good shooting.

Len

I appreciate the response Len.  No, I only shot in the league for one year and was a Tyro.  This is my first year back.  I am currently an unclassified shooter.
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 10/18/2019, 1:23 pm

dronning wrote:If it's been more than 4 (or 5) years since you last shot you will be unclassified.
Be aware the league scores are submitted as a total at the end of the season, so your classification won't officially change until then.
So will I never shoot as a Marksman or Sharpshooter?
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 10/18/2019, 1:29 pm

All you have to do is shoot marksman scores to get the card...but most of us are trying not to.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/18/2019, 1:38 pm

ssauer2004 wrote:
dronning wrote:If it's been more than 4 (or 5) years since you last shot you will be unclassified.
I never did. I kept a temporary card for my first couple of matches and then was issued an Expert card shortly followed by Master. The idea is to be shooting against your peers. If your  shooting Expert scores then your in the right spot shooting against other Experts. The indoor league I shoot with does not report to NRA or shoot with classification. It is all team shooting with scratch and handicap scores. They track your average after every match.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 10/18/2019, 1:42 pm

LenV wrote:
ssauer2004 wrote:
I never did. I kept a temporary card for my first couple of matches and then was issued an Expert card shortly followed by Master. The idea is to be shooting against your peers. If your  shooting Expert scores then your in the right spot shooting against other Experts. The indoor league I shoot with does not report to NRA or shoot with classification. It is all team shooting with scratch and handicap scores. They track your average after every match.

Len
This league reports the scores.  How do you obtain a temporary card?
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/18/2019, 2:06 pm

From the NRA

The new shooter should ask for and receive a Temporary Score Record Book from the Sponsor or Referee. This Temporary Score Record Book will help to determine the shooter's temporary classification until he or she has fired sufficient shots which have been reported to NRA to earn a regular classification card.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/18/2019, 2:06 pm

james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 10/18/2019, 3:12 pm

I appreciate all the responses.  Let me ask another question in case I missed it. If i'm currently Unclassified and I want to shoot an NRA sanctioned 900 in November, am I forced to compete as a Master?
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/18/2019, 3:16 pm

You will compete as a Mastr-Unclassified and will be placed in with the Masters for awards purposes.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 10/18/2019, 3:18 pm

If he gets the temporary score book and fills it out, won't he shoot the 900 as expert?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/18/2019, 3:45 pm

Do you have to shoot 360 shots even on a Temporary Card to get a classification? 
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 10/18/2019, 6:54 pm

Maybe this will help:
NRA Classification Question Img_1113
NRA Classification Question Img_1114

Last edited by TonyH on 10/18/2019, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 10/18/2019, 6:55 pm

NRA Classification Question Img_1115
NRA Classification Question Img_1116
NRA Classification Question Img_1117
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/19/2019, 8:06 am

I'm trying to help here, so if I don't cover all the exceptions, interpretations and miss something, please add.  It ain't a test to see who's right, I'm just trying to help. 

OK, you will have to read all of Section 19, some other portions of rule book and the A and B General Regulations to cover all the bases and I'm not going to take the time to post everything here.   

I'll try to help answer the questions, and some of it "depends" on the match and assumes the league is an NRA Approved Tournament. The 900 Tournament could be Approved or Registered.  (I've never heard of a Registered 900 Tournament, but who knows and I'll try to cover most of the bases below.) 

The OP currently has no classification as the previous scores / classification has expired.

Unless other classification evidence is presented the OP may have to compete as a Master depending on the guidelines in the Tournament Program for that Tournament.  (This is optional for Approved Tournaments if otherwise stated in the Tournament Program, for example an Approved Tournament may have a Tyro Class, etc.  The NRA Classification System must be used for Registered.) 

The OP can compete in any class up to and including Master by requesting to do so.  

The Tournament can accept Temporary Classification, unless it specifically says it will not accept Temporary Classifications (Like the National Championship). 

Other classification evidence can be a Temporary Score Card or classification for other disciplines.

The League scores should be put in the Temporary Score Card as shot, and even if the League is not complete by the time of the 900 Tournament, the Temporary Scorecard can be used for classification, if the 900 Tournament accepts that as evidence (see exception above.)

You do not have to shoot 360 shots to get a Temporary Classification, you do have to shoot a minimum of 360 shots to get a 
Classification (not Temporary). 

A shooter does not have to progress through any or all of the Classifications, there is no specific time period, except for when Classification expire (no match scores entered for 3 years below Master, 5 years for Master and HM).  If your first scores, even temporary are Expert, then the second Tournament you can / should shoot in the Expert class. 

In this case your first league match will be Unclassified Master, Assigned on the basis of other Classifications, Assigned in accordance with the Tournament Program, or you can choose up to Master.  After that, the Temporary Classification should be used, unless the Program says something different.  (This may create complications if the League is also has Team Tournament, but that's another subject.)

Competitors may request reclassification, see the rule for limits, etc. 

Hope this helps, please correct as needed. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 10/19/2019, 8:14 am

"(I've never heard of a Registered 900 Tournament, but who knows and I'll try to cover most of the bases below.)"

Just to clarify, Registered Tournaments are State tournaments, Regionals and Sectionals.  Registered tournaments require turning targets and are where you can set a National record.  The Precision Pistol Sectional is a 900 point Registered tournament.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/19/2019, 10:18 am

Actually, you can have a Registered Tournaments that is not a State, Regional, or Sectional. 1.6 (f) I did forget about 900 Sectional Tournaments, thanks.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 10/20/2019, 5:57 am

I appreciate all the help!
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down