Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accu Rail?

+15
zanemoseley
messenger
chopper
mpolans
james r chapman
James Hensler
djw1cav
1joel1
Ghillieman
oldsalt444
BE Mike
David R
Allgoodhits
TonyH
Tim:H11
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Accu Rail?  - Page 2 Empty Accu Rail?

Post by Tim:H11 12/27/2019, 7:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anyone ever do the accu rail thing before? Anyone here have any thoughts or experience with the idea?

Back to top Go down

Accu Rail?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Accu Rail?

Post by james r chapman 1/3/2020, 8:47 am

FFL usually ship USPS because we can’t for handguns
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 1/3/2020, 10:58 am

Jim used a medium flat rate box and USPSAccu Rail?  - Page 2 A6113810
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 1/3/2020, 11:00 am

Now I am chomping at the bit impatiently waiting to get it back! Going to be Jonesing for 3-4 weeks
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 2/5/2020, 11:18 am

James Hensler wrote:Now I am chomping at the bit impatiently waiting to get it back! Going to be Jonesing for 3-4 weeks
I sent a 1911 to Doug the end of December. I think it was around the 28th. I got it back yesterday. Shot it today. Much improved. I paid shipping to him, he shipped back to me. Total price was $240.00

Another happy customer of Doug Jones' work. He has done 3 for me.

MJ
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/5/2020, 11:41 am

Mine is in the mail on its way back to me! I can’t wait to sing his praises!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 2/5/2020, 12:30 pm

James Hensler wrote:Mine is in the mail on its way back to me! I can’t wait to sing his praises!
It will be tight. If you had been running marginally cycling light loads, you may have to step it up a tad. Just a heads up, so when you get to the range it will not be "set" on single shot. You will like the end result.

MJ
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/5/2020, 1:13 pm

230 ball will help
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/5/2020, 1:43 pm

I have around 200 or so 200 grain JHP’s that are full load that I have had sitting around the shop! That’s what I intended to use because I think someone else in this post said that it’s going to be very tight. Thanks MJ and Jim for reminding me about that!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 2/7/2020, 3:40 pm

I just shipped a wadgun to Doug to be railed and my FFL said if I am sending it for "repair" I don't have to reregister it when it comes back.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 2/7/2020, 3:51 pm

It's your gun that you are sending out for work and it will be returned to you via the FFL....why would you need to re-register? That has never been required.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/7/2020, 4:05 pm

My guy said the same thing! I pick mine up today. Doug sent it USPS and even if I didn’t have a CCW permit there is not a 3 day
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 2/7/2020, 4:48 pm

TonyH wrote:It's your gun that you are sending out for work and it will be returned to you via the FFL....why would you need to re-register? That has never been required.

I have always used an FFL to ship a pistol. I have shipped pistols for work and when they returned the FFL said it was law that they had to be re registered ($35 fee). I now use a different FFL that doesn't bone me coming back. Are you saying that I can mail a pistol for repair to an FFL and then he can mail it directly back to me?

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 2/7/2020, 7:48 pm

messenger wrote:
TonyH wrote:It's your gun that you are sending out for work and it will be returned to you via the FFL....why would you need to re-register? That has never been required.

I have always used an FFL to ship a pistol. I have shipped pistols for work and when they returned the FFL said it was law that they had to be re registered ($35 fee). I now use a different FFL that doesn't bone me coming back. Are you saying that I can mail a pistol for repair to an FFL and then he can mail it directly back to me?

Bill
A FFL can use USPS to mail a pistol to another FFL for a much cheaper rate than what FEDUP charges. It has to go FFL to FFL both ways, and cannot legally be shipped to you directly. Your FFL will probably charge you the mailing fee both ways, plus may charge you a handling fee, some don’t. As you already are the legal owner of the gun, there no “re-registration” of the gun. A 4473 form does not have to be filled out again.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/11/2020, 3:55 pm

Accu Rail?  - Page 2 6c8af210
Accu Rail?  - Page 2 A00ff910
Accu Rail?  - Page 2 9145f810
Ok I got my 1911 back from Doug and it is very tight just like you guys said and by doing this my pistol is back to holding  X at 50 yards! I did it 4 times yesterday! For some reason this particular Remington R1 Enhanced is hands down the most accurate 1911 I have ever owned or shot! I put down my Gold Cup and I haven’t shot it in 3 years! Now to the tooling!!! First off I took pics and sent them to Doug and he instantly said send it back and he would make it right! I appreciate that! First of all the frame came back with a crack in it! There are machining scratches all over it! I paid for him to fit a brand new undersized Bushing. It was honed to fit the barrel perfect but it wasn’t fitted to the slide so that didn’t go well! I almost cried when I saw what my pistol looked like because I am not a rich man I can’t afford 3-5k for a Custom 1911 to get the last 10-15 points I Need! I am speechless hurt and disappointed! I bet this is the first bad review Doug has ever had because I can’t find one anywhere! Everyone bragged on everything he touches. I can’t believe this left his shop
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 2/11/2020, 5:31 pm

I just sent him a $4000.00 gun. Now I'm nervous. 

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/11/2020, 5:38 pm

messenger wrote:I just sent him a $4000.00 gun. Now I'm nervous. 

Bill
Bill I say everything will be double and triple checked and your pistol will come out perfect! Like I said everyone praises his work. Personally I don’t think for a minute Doug did this work himself! I say someone else had a bad day when they did mine!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 2/11/2020, 6:36 pm

The crack is ridiculous, not sure how you could miss that when working on it, I suppose it was cracked when clamping the frame in a fixture but not sure why you'd be clamping on the rails in the first place. Heck it's cracked and has a small chip missing.

So does the bushing fit in the slide or not? It should fit tightly requiring a bit of persuasion from a brass gunsmith hammer.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/11/2020, 9:30 pm

No I had to turn it myself on a lathe then rehoned it to make the ID true again. The locking lug had to be filed as well. Now the bushing does need some help with my brass hammer and my aluminum bushing wrench. The barrel to bushing is still nice and tight thank god. 

Zane the only thing I can come up with is the they might not have  done a stainless frame before or very often. I swear to god and country this frame and slide looked brand new and like a mirror. There was not a single imperfection on it whatsoever. 

I am trying to take the high road here and not go completely off! I used to have a machine shop and hand built some of the most powerful 4.6 and 5.4 mod motors in drag racing so I know my way around a Bridgeport and Sunnen lathe
I can tell you this would not have come out of my shop!

If there is a bright side as long as the crack doesn’t grow which I don’t think it will the frame to slide fitment is perfect and you don’t see what’s inside!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/12/2020, 5:25 am

Interested in seeing a picture of your Sunnen LATHE.
Never seen one. Are the nice? Reasonable?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/12/2020, 6:03 am

james r chapman wrote:Interested in seeing a picture of your Sunnen LATHE.
Never seen one. Are the nice? Reasonable?
James I had that back when I was racing and building engines. My whole shop was Sunnen. Noooooo very expensive! I actually bought everything used for almost 400,000! Hone, boring, lathe, decking! Man I miss my shop! 1996-2003 timeline

My son said the lathe was a Southern! All I know is I bought everything from Sunnen
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/12/2020, 6:15 am

Oh, probably a South Bend Lathe
Seen many of those.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/12/2020, 6:17 am

james r chapman wrote:Oh, probably a South Bend Lathe
Seen many of those.
I sold everything to some guys up your way! The company was Morepower in Sparta Mich

I wish I had pictures! We lost everything in a house Fire in 2006. We lived out in the country and our volunteer Fire departments nickname was the chimney savers that’s what we came back to from our vacation in Hawaii! That’s why we decided to move to Florida! Thank god for insurance
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 3/10/2020, 3:17 pm

Just got my wad gun back from Doug. Very tight but smooth. Even with the slide locked back, no play what so ever. Just ran 200 rounds through it dripping wet with CLP. No malfunctions and everything on call. I was apprehensive but as of now I feel pretty good. Good job Doug.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 3/10/2020, 4:50 pm

I am happy for you! I say Doug went off on his guys and the thing that happened to me won’t happen again
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 3/10/2020, 5:16 pm

James Hensler wrote:I am happy for you! I say Doug went off on his guys and the thing that happened to me won’t happen again

So what was the resolution to the cracked frame.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next