Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

old masters loads

+4
Bubba Blaster
cdrt
Al
hotshot9
8 posters

Go down

old masters loads Empty old masters loads

Post by hotshot9 4/24/2020, 10:33 am

hi. since i am relatively new to the bullseye game, as you all can imagine i am absorbing every article about this wonderful sport. i fell into it because my body would not take the positions needed anymore in the PPC and action shooting game. started shooting back in the early 60s. started with bullseye, and a jim clark long slide. to me then bullseye was about as exciting as watching paint dry on a wall! who know!. anyway now older (much) i didn't know what i was missing!. so some of the old records that still stand don't say much about the loads on the 45s,i would think it was mostly bullseye powder and cast wad cutters. any info on this? like hershel anderson? what gun? jim clarks load? others? seems like with all the new equipment everybody should be up there no? Thanks. great sight happy to be part of it!

hotshot9

https://sonoma00@verizon.net

Back to top Go down

old masters loads Empty Re: old masters loads

Post by Al 4/24/2020, 10:53 am

Welcome back to the fold.
I only started in this game about 21 years ago, for kind of the same reason. It just wasn't exciting to watch.
Equipment has changed, mostly the addition of dot sights. They don't necessarily make you a better shooter, they do allow you to see what you're doing and correct it. Also allows those of us with eye issues to continue to compete.

As I was told nearly 50 years ago when I was shooting competitive archery, "It's the Indian, not the arrow that hits the mark". Probably not PC now, but it did bring the fact to the table that you can spend your way to the poorhouse but it won't replace actual training and ability.

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by hotshot9 4/24/2020, 10:59 am

LOL al! yes, i'm starting to see that now. sold my bomar ribs, went to the dot sight. at lest i can see the dot. as to making me shoot better? sometimes yes, other times no,

hotshot9

https://sonoma00@verizon.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 4/24/2020, 11:24 am

If you can find a copy of Gil Hebard's "Pistol Shooters Treasury", it will answer all of your questions on records, pistol loads for the .45 ACP, etc.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster 4/24/2020, 12:25 pm

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 4/24/2020, 12:57 pm

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/ is the Bullseye info online treasure trove. 

Welcome to the forum!
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 4/24/2020, 2:08 pm

You know how to make a fellow feel old. I watched Hershel Anderson shoot in what, I believe, was the Georgia State Matches in about 1973 at River Bend Gun Club. There were two or three military marksmanship teams there along dozens of civilian shooters. For us reloaders, it was before they had to return the fired brass. My friend's 12 years old son was gathering some 45 match brass and the guys in uniform would rake up piles for him behind the shooting line. When we went back to the car the backseat floors where piled high with brass to the top transmission hump. 

Some of the good old days where pretty good.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/24/2020, 4:53 pm

Old is right. I shot in that match. I am not sure if I was shooting for 7th Army or All Army but I was there. I have a "scare" patch for it here somewhere. Those really were the good old days. These Golden years suck.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/24/2020, 5:59 pm

Hershal thrilled us by firing the opening shot at one of our recent Regionals at riverbend. Can't tell you how many cell phones recorded the shot. He fired a single shot into a stack of repair center then signed them all for us. Yes it was an X. We normally have the AMU and All Guard teams come for the Regional and State match each year.. nice to live in Ga.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 4/24/2020, 6:56 pm

I have missed the old gun club, it has moved since those times and I dropped out about ten years after that match when arthritis decided it was going to fuse both of my wrist.  30 years of messing around and the surgeons finally decided I was old enough for a SS plate, 6 screws and a half dozen bone graphs to solidly fuse my left wrist. Now I am a 22 lr shooter that tolerates some 9 mm. Maybe when this virus thing is better I will take a look at the new old gun club and shoot a match.

LenV, here is a long over due thank you. That day I went home with almost 5,000 pieces of once fired brass. I can assure you that I put it to good use.  Smile
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down