Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Reloader Question

4 posters

Go down

New Reloader Question Empty New Reloader Question

Post by SonOfSwede 10/1/2020, 4:44 pm

I have just started my hand at reloading and I have a question.

I worked in a company that was insistent that before an operation can be improved, it needs a reproducible technique for measuring it.  The same should be true for reloading.

So my question is how are people who are developing a load for their gun  measure accuracy.  I know that Ransom Rests exist and that would seem like a good technique.  But, how many people use sandbags or rests to reproduce their hold to be able to measure group size.  Are some people able to hold the gun so well that they get a good measure of accuracy freehand.

I ask the question because I have not been successful at any form of rest that I have tried.  It seems like the recoil of the gun affects the point of impact.

SonOfSwede

Back to top Go down

New Reloader Question Empty Re: New Reloader Question

Post by Dr.Don 10/1/2020, 5:03 pm

Sandbags will work.  RR is good but depends on technique/consistency and mounting stability is very important.  For bullseye you want to test 10-shot groups at 50 yds.  It's amazing how many decent looking 25yd groups fall apart at 50yds.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 10/1/2020, 5:17 pm

Full disclosure, I do own & use a Ransom Rest. It is not a piece of machinery that everyone can just clamp down & expect to get repeatable results. It takes a lot of time & rounds to develop a technique that will be repeatable. It's claim to fame in my opinion, is that you can shoot 50 groups and it will not tire. You don't have to be concerned with eyesight or daylight fading & fuzzing out or a slippery hand that lets the grip change.

If I have only 1 or 2 groups to test, I'll use sandbags. My eye's & attention span will work for a few rounds.

There are a lot of great loads that keep being mentioned here. You really can't go wrong duplicating them.  Nearly every one of them can shoot a perfect score. 

Pay attention to calling your shot. If it lands outside your call, you "may" have a load that needs work with your gun setup.  Remember, you're shooting a pistol with one hand. You're not a bench rest or bipod rifle shooter. We wobble around, a lot. Early on I would have a target setting on the bench beside me. I made and called the shot, then placed a piece of brass on the target where I called the shot before confirming it in the scope.

There's a whole bunch of things that are more important than having a load that holds 1 1/2" at 50 yards. Like training! And that's really hard for a guy like me to admit cuz I'm not wired that way. I too want to analyze and test until the cows come home. Until you get to Master & above, pick a load that's using components you have available, and practice. If later on you find your favorite load only shoots 2" or even 3" at 50 yds, that's still ok. You can tweek it then.

Al

James Hensler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 10/1/2020, 5:26 pm

Al wrote:Full disclosure, I do own & use a Ransom Rest. It is not a piece of machinery that everyone can just clamp down & expect to get repeatable results. It takes a lot of time & rounds to develop a technique that will be repeatable. It's claim to fame in my opinion, is that you can shoot 50 groups and it will not tire. You don't have to be concerned with eyesight or daylight fading & fuzzing out or a slippery hand that lets the grip change.

If I have only 1 or 2 groups to test, I'll use sandbags. My eye's & attention span will work for a few rounds.

There are a lot of great loads that keep being mentioned here. You really can't go wrong duplicating them.  Nearly every one of them can shoot a perfect score. 

Pay attention to calling your shot. If it lands outside your call, you "may" have a load that needs work with your gun setup.  Remember, you're shooting a pistol with one hand. You're not a bench rest or bipod rifle shooter. We wobble around, a lot. Early on I would have a target setting on the bench beside me. I made and called the shot, then placed a piece of brass on the target where I called the shot before confirming it in the scope.

There's a whole bunch of things that are more important than having a load that holds 1 1/2" at 50 yards. Like training! And that's really hard for a guy like me to admit cuz I'm not wired that way. I too want to analyze and test until the cows come home. Until you get to Master & above, pick a load that's using components you have available, and practice. If later on you find your favorite load only shoots 2" or even 3" at 50 yds, that's still ok. You can tweek it then.
Amen! 

I sure have seen more than my fair share of ok Guns with 3 inch loads  in the hands of a dedicated shooter beat the shit of of a great pistol and 1 1/2 inch load in the hands of a not so dedicated shooter
James Hensler
James Hensler

BE Mike and Larryb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down