Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullseye Range Commands App Gone

+11
Oleg G
mspingeld
james r chapman
John Dervis
TomH_pa
-TT-
Wobbley
Dr.Don
mikemyers
Jwhelan939
ssauer2004
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bullseye Range Commands App Gone Empty Bullseye Range Commands App Gone

Post by ssauer2004 10/25/2020, 5:02 am

I always used the Bullseye Range Commands app on my iPhone for timed and rapid fire training. I recently purchased a new iPhone and noticed that the app didn’t load while setting up the phone. It’s no longer available in the App Store. If anyone else had this happen, is there an alternative?

Thanks
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Bullseye Range Commands App Gone Empty Re: Bullseye Range Commands App Gone

Post by Jwhelan939 10/25/2020, 6:53 am

Just checked the android store and the bullseye timer is still there. Wonder why it disappeared for ios?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 10/25/2020, 7:15 am

Jwhelan939 wrote:Just checked the android store and the bullseye timer is still there. Wonder why it disappeared for ios?

I’m not sure. I did manage to find mp3 files for both timed and rapid. It’s not as convenient, but will do.
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/25/2020, 7:45 am

Apple is constantly updating the operating system, which is the software that allows apps to run on an iPhone.
When the operating system changes a lot, apps may no longer run on the phone.
Supposedly the developer of Range Commands needs to update the app, to get it back into the Apple's App Store, so it can again be installed on Apple Phones.

On the other hand, I installed Range Commands on my phones a gazillion years ago it seems, and I update my phone whenever a new version of iOS is available - and Range Commands is still working on my phone.

Because of Apple's "Walled Garden", without "jailbreaking" your phone, apparently there is no way to get it onto a new phone.  If I had an extra (old) iPhone to play with, still running an old version of iOS, and still running Range Commands, I think there is a way to BACK UP that phone, and re-install that backup on a newer iPhone which has the latest version of iOS.  That's the only way I can think of to get around this.  That's what I have done, when I bought new iPhones - use the BACK UP function on the old phone to copy everything to Apple's server, and then re-install that BACK UP onto my new phone.  That's probably why my Range Commands continues to work, on the very latest OS.

If you still have a working version of Range Commands on one of your old iPhones, that might be the easiest way to get Range Commands on your new phone.  Maybe the best way to go about this would be to post the question in the Apple Forums.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 10/25/2020, 8:43 am

There's a whole long thread on this elsewhere on this site.  Do a search.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 10/25/2020, 9:04 am

Dr.Don wrote:There's a whole long thread on this elsewhere on this site.  Do a search.

I figured I’d eventually get a response from a “Try Doing a Search Guy”.
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/25/2020, 9:25 am

mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/25/2020, 11:09 am

Or an alternative is to go buy a cheap wi-fi capable android without service and put the android app on it.  Keep it in your shooting box. Easy peasy
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 10/25/2020, 12:05 pm

I'm really really close to releasing my app, which plays the calls and much more. It will be free and it runs on iOS, Android and Windows. Sorry for the tease, but changes at work really threw this back, time-wise. Going through the various app store hoops are the main obstacle remaining.
-TT-
-TT-

orpheoet, Lowrate, valbern67, kodiakdjd and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 10/25/2020, 1:42 pm

I paid $46 for a Motorola no contract phone (at Best Buy) to use the Bullseye Timer app when my iphone app disappeared. I think I like the Android app a little better

I also bought Fenton's target turner which the Android app operates.

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 10/25/2020, 3:37 pm

TomH_pa wrote:I also bought Fenton's target turner which the Android app operates.

FYI, I've been working with him and my app supports that too Wink
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 10/25/2020, 9:46 pm

TT - Will your app have a trigger function that would operate a simple target turner?  I have one of the turner systems that Denny Weistrand sells on commercial row at Perry.  The turner box itself just operates on a simple momentary closed contact at the start and stop of the timed/rapid sequence.  His call box is nice but I've long thought that an app on a phone I can carry in my gun box would be a little easier to maneuver.  On Older iPhones I think this could be done through the head phone jack but I'm not sure how easy this is to do through their current phone. 
Just wondering if this app might work for that purpose.

Thanks for taking on the project.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 10/25/2020, 10:18 pm

Suggestion:

Since you're working on the code anyway, maybe you can allow people with revolvers more time to LOAD multiple rounds into the gun's cylinder before the rest of the commands are given.  There isn't enough time with the commands as played now on my iPhone 11.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 10/26/2020, 6:56 am

Pause button
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

mikemyers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 10/26/2020, 7:23 am

That app would be done if it wasn't for all those 4 letter words that get in the way. Like wife, home, kids, work, cash!

(moderator, feel free to delete if these 4 letter words violate forum rules)

mspingeld
Admin

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 10/26/2020, 8:19 am

Anything is possible, but my goal is to keep the app simple and super easy to use.

Ok I promise to double down on getting this out.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 10/26/2020, 8:43 am

It's great to hear that you are working with Fenton. I built a turning target around his controller and it works great.
One request, if not too late: in Fenton's app you can set the face time of the target to any duration you want from 1 sec onward. I found this very useful in training for setting either slightly longer or slightly shorter durations for Rapid Fire and one-shot and two-shot drills.
For example: in training you set a goal of only releasing good shots in the Rapid Fire string. So instead of shooting only 3 or 4 shots in 10 secs, you can set the string duration to 13 secs, for example, and work on bringing it down over time, as your ability to control your shots improves.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 10/26/2020, 9:00 am

I'm not going to add or change any features before release. But it does have a drill function, which can be adjusted from 1.5 second to 5.0. It then loops until cancelled.

I'll entertain feature requests after people actually see it Smile
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogen 11/1/2020, 5:36 pm

Today I encountered the same problem as others describe above.  We just started our fall practice sessions and poof!  The app wouldn't work on my new iPhone.  The icon was there, but it said I couldn't run it because it was no longer in the app store.  Apparently, the app didn't come across when I transferred the contents of my old phone to the new one.  The operating system then tried to get it from the app store and it wasn't there.  However....  I found a way.

If you've used iTunes (dog that it is....) you probably have a copy of the program file on your computer from previous backups.  Thankfully, I did.  The filename on my computer is Bullseye 2.1.1.ipa  Now then, how to install it?  

Open iTunes and connect your phone.  Navigate to the folder containing the file.  You'll have to search for it.  On my computer it was with all the other .ipa files previously backed up.  Just drag the file from the folder to the phone icon in iTunes to install it.  

I had two problems doing this.  First, iTunes said my computer wasn't authorized.  It had been before, so what happened?  No idea.  Simple matter to fix, I just reauthorized it in iTunes.  Then iTunes said it couldn't install the app because it was already installed.  Simple, just delete the app icon from the phone and try again.  Worked like a charm.  

So the app is still functional on iOS 13 with a 2 month old phone.  Doesn't seem to be a compatibility problem.

I'm very happy to have this app back in operation.  Our turning targets system is home-brew and cranky.  Practicing with the app and Bluetooth speakers is great.

Krogen

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/1/2020, 8:40 pm

Krogen wrote:........If you've used iTunes (dog that it is....) you probably have a copy of the program file on your computer from previous backups.  Thankfully, I did.  The filename on my computer is Bullseye 2.1.1.ipa  Now then, how to install it? ...........  Open iTunes and connect your phone.  Navigate to the folder containing the file.  You'll have to search for it.  On my computer it was with all the other .ipa files previously backed up.  Just drag the file from the folder to the phone icon in iTunes to install it.  ......

Brilliant!!!!!!

I've been backing up my iPhones to the cloud, not my computer.  If I need to, hopefully I can do what you did.  What is an ".ipa" file?  Are those the files for each of the apps that are loaded on the phone?

(Supposedly, if you restore a new iPhone from the cloud, everything gets restored.  Not so if you restore from a computer backup.  Maybe that was your problem?)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/1/2020, 8:53 pm

ipa = iPhone App?  Either that or it’s a over-hoppy malt heavy beer... Razz
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogen 11/1/2020, 9:21 pm

A .ipa file is the extension used on iPhone app executable files.  At least is is on Windows computers.  I don't know if that's true on Apple computers.  Your point about the cloud may be an issue.  Or perhaps it's because I didn't restore from an iTunes backup to the new phone.  Instead, I used iOS's bluetooth method to setup my new phone.  All I had to do was place it near the old one and follow the prompts.  It may not actually transfer apps, instead retrieving them by WiFi from the app store if they're available.

Krogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 11/2/2020, 9:44 am

One more way to transfer the discontinued apps from an old iPhone to new.
I have an old iPhone 6 with Bullseye Range Commands installed for several years. I also have a newer iPhone without this app. Obviously, I cannot get the app from the Appstore.
I tried several ways but could not copy the app from the old phone to the new.

There is an app called iMazing (NFI). It is not cheap - $45. 

https://imazing.com/store

There is a free version, but I don't believe it allows transfer of the apps.

I just used iMazing to transfer Bullseye Range Commands from the old iPhone to the new one and it works.
You first have to back up your iPhone with the app file using iMazing. Then I restored the backup onto the new iPhone. This still did not quite copy the app. It appeared on the phone but did not launch. Then I deleted the app from the phone and re-added it to the device from the backup of the old phone. This did the trick.

The free option, of course, is to keep using your old phone with the app! Smile
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemargolis 11/6/2020, 12:08 pm

I just got an iPhone 12, and restored a backup via wire from the old phone to the new.

Lost this app.

Sad

Guess I'm keeping the old phone for the gunbox until a new app comes out.

M

mikemargolis

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 11/6/2020, 12:17 pm

Re an alternative app: soon, hopefully soon.

Apple's store review process sure is mysterious. So far so good on other platforms however.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next