Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reload set for .45 auto

+14
Boston Bill
noylj
bob finger
rkittine
john bickar
mspingeld
mikld
Wobbley
CR10X
Jwhelan939
tovaert
James Hensler
james r chapman
ser2711
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reload set for .45 auto Empty Reload set for .45 auto

Post by ser2711 12/4/2020, 9:00 am

Which the best and must accurate reloading press and dies for only one caliber: .45 auto
I reload only for precision bullseye competitions

ser2711

Back to top Go down

Reload set for .45 auto Empty Re: Reload set for .45 auto

Post by james r chapman 12/4/2020, 9:19 am

Reload set for .45 auto 4-41658_pop-corn-clipart-popcorn-clipart-png
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

john bickar and Fotomaniac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 12/4/2020, 9:20 am

DILLON
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 12/4/2020, 9:29 am

I set up a new Hornady for a friend yesterday and it’s a very impressive press. I have had several Dillion’s and currently use a loadmaster and Auto Breech Lock Pro and his Hornady is very sweet. For the money I don’t think the Loadmaster can be beat to make professional grade match ammo

Last edited by James Hensler on 12/4/2020, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 12/4/2020, 9:55 am

I think that depends on how many rounds per hour that you want to reload. I have a Ponsness-Warren P-200 that will prime and load about 200 rounds per hr. It's a fairly unique design (turret-like press), but it produces very consistent ammo. I use a top-mounted inexpensive Lee powder measure, since it was just as accurate (if not better) than a Redding, Hornady, or RCBS (I did not try a Harrells). It is definitely slower, however, than a progressive such as a Dillon.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 12/4/2020, 10:02 am

How any rounds per year do you shoot? How many, and which, calibers to you plan to reload for?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 12/4/2020, 10:41 am

If you want to get good at reloading then get a single stage press, case trimmer, ultra precise powder scale, etc., etc.; or cobble together some other progressive type of press with various manufacturers dies, seaters, PTU's, powder measurers, etc. etc.

If you want go get good at shooting bullseye, just get a Dillon, some decent cases and projectiles and spend the rest of the time time dryfiring.  Loads are posted on the stickys at the top of this topic. 

CR

CR10X

BE Mike, Plunker, Arthur and lakemurrayman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 12/4/2020, 11:02 am

As Jim posted, this could be more entertaining than what’s on TV.

That said, just about any of the brands of dies and presses out there will make “Bullseye accurate” ammunition.  The difference is the ease of use.  So my suggestion is to buy a decent press and a decent set of dies and start the learning process.  My baseline recommendations is an RCBS Rock Chucker or Hornady Lock and Load Classic and a set of RCBS or Hornady carbide Dies.  Also get a powder measure and basic scale for weighing and setting the powder measure.  These are basic tools to learn on.  In a couple of afternoons I can load 500 rounds of pistol ammunition.  As I understand Italian firearms laws, AP the quantity of loaded ammunition that can be possessed is stated on your license.  So the need for progressive loading may not be as great.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikld 12/4/2020, 11:17 am

A sloppy, inattentive reloader cannot make good handloads on the most expensive, precision reloading press/dies (even a Dillion). A conscientious, careful reloader can make excellent handloads with a Lee Loader or a used $15 single stage. Ninety-five percent of handload quality originates with the nut behind the handle...

A question like this will generally be answered with personal opinions, based mainly on personal preferences and not a lot of product comparison...

mikld

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 12/4/2020, 11:32 am

I think Len still uses a single stage and Lee Dippers to make match ammo.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 12/4/2020, 11:47 am

Nice comparison here.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 12/5/2020, 12:35 pm

james r chapman wrote:popcorn.png

Careful; last time I did that, I got a new nickname and a box of Jiffy Pop in the mail.

Sincerely,

"Popcorn" John
john bickar
john bickar

spyer40 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 12/5/2020, 1:41 pm

Point taken.

affraid
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 12/5/2020, 2:47 pm

For single load set up I have been using Star Machine Works presses for years. Recently got a newly reconditioned one from them in .32 S&W Long WC. I prefer them over the Dillon, though I have a Dillon that I change heads on. 

I also agree that if you are only going to load a small quantity than a single stage press and the associate accessories can also do the trick.

Bob
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by bob finger 12/5/2020, 3:05 pm

Since the popcorn is out I might as well play too.

Me, I'm a BIG fan of the Dillon SDB, but not as designed.  It does not deprime nor prime my cases.  I do that on separate devices.  Makes the SDB a joy to run.  Sure three steps and multiple handling of cases slows the process down.  So what, I'm retired and loading good ammo is supposed to be fun, correct?

I have 2 SDB's and one powder measure.  One in .45ACP and one in 9mm Lugar.
I use a really cheap Lee C single stage only for de-capping.  Then I wash and dry the brass.  Next is putting primers in the brass.  For that I use an RCBS bench primer. If I'm gonna do more than say 500 I'll put a weight lifting glove on my right hand so pumping the lever does not cause a blister on my palm.  I'm anal about primers....I want to see it before it gets mashed into the case.  No known "progressive" will let me do that.  And I use modified Dillon pick up tubes...the RCBS tubes that come with primer putter inner are useless.

When that is done I'll sit down at a SDB and load thousands of rounds without pain, strain or messed up ammo.  One load for each, no need to adjust anything, just load.  The measure dumps 4.0 grains of Bullseye.  My 1911's are tuned for that load so no issues.

Not the fastest reloading in the world but my loads are good, consistent, reliable and safe.  Bob

bob finger

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 12/5/2020, 4:19 pm

Contact Wilson for Arbor press and custom dies.
A great.45 can shoot 1.5-2.0 inches at 50 yards. This is 3-4 MOA. Not really precision rifle territory. Thus, any press in good condition can load excellent.45 Auto rounds.

noylj

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Bill 12/7/2020, 5:46 pm

bob finger wrote:Since the popcorn is out I might as well play too.

Me, I'm a BIG fan of the Dillon SDB, but not as designed.  It does not deprime nor prime my cases.  I do that on separate devices.  Makes the SDB a joy to run.  Sure three steps and multiple handling of cases slows the process down.  So what, I'm retired and loading good ammo is supposed to be fun, correct?

I have 2 SDB's and one powder measure.  One in .45ACP and one in 9mm Lugar.
I use a really cheap Lee C single stage only for de-capping.  Then I wash and dry the brass.  Next is putting primers in the brass.  For that I use an RCBS bench primer. If I'm gonna do more than say 500 I'll put a weight lifting glove on my right hand so pumping the lever does not cause a blister on my palm.  I'm anal about primers....I want to see it before it gets mashed into the case.  No known "progressive" will let me do that.  And I use modified Dillon pick up tubes...the RCBS tubes that come with primer putter inner are useless.

When that is done I'll sit down at a SDB and load thousands of rounds without pain, strain or messed up ammo.  One load for each, no need to adjust anything, just load.  The measure dumps 4.0 grains of Bullseye.  My 1911's are tuned for that load so no issues.

Not the fastest reloading in the world but my loads are good, consistent, reliable and safe.  Bob

I agree about the primers. I also use the RCBS auto prime tool. I think it installs the primers deeper than the Dillon and easier. I like to deprime 1st as it keeps the press cleaner.I agree about the glove. I hate the installing the primer blister.

Boston Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 12/7/2020, 7:44 pm

Reload set for .45 auto Presse10

But we all know it's really REDDING.
Jack H
Jack H

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 12/7/2020, 8:20 pm

rkittine wrote:For single load set up I have been using Star Machine Works presses for years. Recently got a newly reconditioned one from them in .32 S&W Long WC. I prefer them over the Dillon, though I have a Dillon that I change heads on. 

I also agree that if you are only going to load a small quantity than a single stage press and the associate accessories can also do the trick.

Bob

I think you mean "progressive" in the bolded part above.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 12/7/2020, 9:41 pm

I took that to mean he doesn't switch them between calibers like can easily be done with most of the 'modern' progressives.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 12/7/2020, 9:51 pm

WesG wrote:I took that to mean he doesn't switch them between calibers like can easily be done with most of the 'modern' progressives.
Oh, single caliber/single recipe. I hear ya.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 12/7/2020, 11:13 pm

WesG wrote:I took that to mean he doesn't switch them between calibers like can easily be done with most of the 'modern' progressives.

Where have you been, BTW? Locked out because of our members-only policy, or did you escape to the USA?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 12/8/2020, 3:58 am

PPK Yes the Star is a progressive and can be changed over for load and / caliber , but not as easily as the Dillon. So my Stars are set up to mass load the three pistol calibers I shoot the most. No need then to change over the case feeders or the primer feeders, but easy to make a powder change if necessary.  Use the Dillon for all my other pistol calibers, but single stage presses for rifle. Oh, and 5 progressive MEC Grabber for shotgun, though I really want to upgrade to a Spolar.

Bob
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 12/8/2020, 9:26 am

john bickar wrote:

Where have you been, BTW? Locked out because of our members-only policy, or did you escape to the USA?

Out and about. Yes, and almost.

Reload set for .45 auto Plate10

Locked out of my place for about a month by the fire. No damage, just a little ash on everything. Fire burned right down to the hwy above my place. Couple houses on the other side of the 'neighborhood' burned to the ground though. Pretty sad.

And then the mad rush to finish packing, and haul load after load down the hill staging things at the shop and my parents. Included 4 rather heavy items, 2 of which required laying down with an engine hoist, wrestled onto a lift gate. Back breaking, and scary. They came out of the truck here courtesy of a neighbor with a tractor, chains over the bucket, in the dark.

Last live rds thru a handgun were in May, and I've probably dry fired no more than 50 since. So I'll be starting over ... again. On the bright side, I haven't been reinforcing any bad habits ;-)

But I managed to finish this prototype before I left. Need to talk myself into zeroing it at the local indoor range. But it isn't just my health I have to worry about now, and quite frankly, there are a lot of idiots here. Maybe even as many as the Bay Area, just of a different flavor.

Reload set for .45 auto Fwub13

WesG

Fotomaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 12/8/2020, 10:00 am

Dillon 550!

I've used the RCBS 4x4, Hornady Projector, and the Dillon 550. Have never used any of my single stage presses for quality volume ammo.

The 4x4, I've had since they came out in the 80's. Convenient system to pull any case off & inspect if needed. Poor priming system for volume loading and no automatic powder drop. No, I never ringed a bbl. Always caught it before sending the next one downrange. Still use it for most of my lower volume loading.

Hornady, convenient system to remove suspect cases. Poorly designed priming and powder drop system. It lasted less than a month.I'm told the newer ones have improved. I feel no need to experiment any further.

Dillon 550, been using since the early 2000's for the last 60-70,000 rds of 45 ammo. Slow process to remove a case to inspect, but gets my nod for favorite press. Much better priming system and covertable to other calibers. Invested in a second for small pistol primer calibers and a 450 (with 550 powder & primer systems) for 223/5/56 loading. The only one that ever gets a caliber change is the small pistol 550. I tried the 650, just didn't care for it. I felt I lost some control over the finished product. Got a few friends who love their 650's, so I guess it's just what you get used to.

Have had GREAT customer service from RCBS & Dillon. I didn't keep the Hornady long enough to test theirs, but I'm told theirs is also very good.

As has been mentioned, we're dealing with ammo that is at best 2.5- 4 min ammo and shooting it with one hand, outside, in the wind. Don't get hung up on having to make benchrest ammo, (although my 450 will make 1/2MOA ammo for my service rifle with boring regularity), pick one of the many proven loads from the stickies and then dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Then train a bit with live ammo.

If your goal is to produce the most accurate ammo, get a set of Wilson hand dies, a scale, and an arbor press. I use these on my long range varmint rifles & bench rest guns. Personally, I would never squander my limited time using a hand die system for reloading ammo for a discipline that doesn't require that level of precision.

JMHO

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next