Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are EIC matches worth it ......

+19
rreid
SmokinNJokin
tyro
RodJ
pgg
Wobbley
Soupy44
Toz35m
Olde Pilot
jmdavis
chiz1180
TomH_pa
john bickar
PMcfall
TonyH
willnewton
CR10X
jjbhonn
xman
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are EIC matches worth it ...... - Page 2 Empty Are EIC matches worth it ......

Post by xman 10/14/2021, 11:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

The goal of EIC shoots is being awarded "Leg " points.

Are EIC shoots worth it for Marksman, Sharpshooters and the majority of Experts? Given the cut off on scores 250 for service and 260 for .22. The cost for travel/gas maybe hotel also for an EIC match. The amount of time for non match practice needed, EIC match fees, the cost of the practice and match ammo. 

The odds of a Marksman, Sharpshooter and many Experts getting a Leg, though dependent on scores and the total of NON-distinguished shooters, can be remote.

As of this Saturday I will have shot in 4 EIC .22 events this year. Yes 2 of the 4 were in conjunction with 2700s, and multi-day shoots. The other 2 were "neighborhood" shoots, meaning less than 2 hours away and free standing EIC shoots.

The majority of my practice is with a DOT as nearly all my matches are 1800s or 2700s. When I know I have an EIC shoot, I adjust my practice to 60% open sights an 40% dot sights, depending if a 2700 is included. If it is a stand alone EIC I go 100% open sights for at least 2-3 weeks (4 to 6 sessions) if possible.

My EIC shooting are with the same pistol (M41). All I do is swap out the barrels between NRA and CMP/EIC so I have the same trigger, grip etc. I use the TT app to call the TF and RF for all my practices. 

My goal for this Saturdays EIC is 200. If I can put all the elements together it is doable. But is it worth it? I have been at BE for about 5 years, seriously for the last 2.5 years. At 66 years old, am past my physical prime after many decades of various rifle disciplines. Pistol has been the toughest on advancing. My NRA BE is improving with personal bests nearly every outing. Splitting practice between NRA and CMP/EIC seems like it would hurt my NRA and not really improve my EIC. 

So I say again, is EIC worth it.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Are EIC matches worth it ...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Are EIC matches worth it ......

Post by Jack H 10/16/2021, 10:24 pm

Depends on what your definition is "it" is....
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Are EIC matches worth it ...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Are EIC matches worth it ......

Post by RodJ 10/16/2021, 11:20 pm

xman wrote:Well back to the drawing board for me and EIC shooting after todays dumpster fire on a train wreck.

My second only 900 match ever, I got into the 700’s and a lot of X’s.  Third match, kablooyey!  

Commenting out loud as we walked back from repairing targets, me in a tv advertisement voice, “Are you feeling cocky and a little too big for your britches, lately?  Thinking that you’re all that and a bag of chips, and wanting to repent, needing a bite of humble pie so your wife and family and friends can tolerate being around you again?  Well then pardner, come on out and shoot some bullseye! It’ll fix you right up, cure all your ills!”

Xman I’m looking forward to reading that you got some leg points at your next match!

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 10/17/2021, 10:53 am

Well my next EIC won’t be until next spring so I have plenty of time to practice. Might even try a couple 2700s or 1800s with open sites just to give it a whirl.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard Benoit 10/17/2021, 11:46 am

xman wrote:Well my next EIC won’t be until next spring so I have plenty of time to practice. Might even try a couple 2700s or 1800s with open sites just to give it a whirl.
In the book "Bullseye Mind" , they talk about shooting to win matches with the highest score or shooting to perform to your best ability , Ego vs Mastery shooters. Of course , we're all a blend of those two types. If you enjoy shooting EIC matches and focus on being the best you can be , as opposed to chasing points , you'll probably enjoy it more and don't be surprised if you begin to pick up points. I legged out back when they issued Ball ammo on the line and finally had to quit shooting when physical and neurological problems made it impossible to continue. Thankfully , todays' ammo rules allow us Grand Seniors to continue to compete. Plus  , several surgeries  , etc  have helped. There's something special about the atmosphere of a leg match and a special satisfaction in shooting a naked  .45 with a 4 # trigger. If you don't feel that uniqueness about EIC matches , then there's probably no reason to shoot them. And that's OK to.

Richard Benoit

Back to top Go down

Post by Wlw145s 10/20/2021, 5:51 pm

I was able to get my first leg points as a sharpshooter with a 267 and made distinguished as an expert shooter. HOWEVER, making distinguished was my highest priority before making master because I loved the little medals. I only shot open sights and a 4# trigger until I made distinguished. Weirdly, I still haven’t started using dots... Point is, it can be done without being a master shooter. The post above about camp perry scores is accurate. You could barely make the cut in both the service pistol EIC and the National Match and have 20 points right there. All legs at perry are worth 10 points. Was it worth it for me? Hell yeah, and I would bribe people to shoot them with me. Plus, the experience of camp perry was one-of-a-kind.

Wlw145s

robert84010, Arthur and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ngunn 10/22/2021, 1:38 pm

In a word, yes.

This winter I revisited the "start with irons" advice that I ignored from the beginning.  Matches became practice for EICs, with points as honest feedback.  Wavering small match attendance, component shortages, and the uncertainty of large matches being canceled meant that there would be no guarantee when opportunities would present themselves.  I had to be ready at every match.  Rounds went toward improving technique facets where the most gains could be realized.  Dry fire abounded.

I went from leg match fodder to picking up 20 points and shooting a personal best at Camp Perry, then legging out.  Looking back, it eliminated hoping for points and taught me to bear down and go get them.  It is difficult to put a value on that.

Chasing points also meant traveling outside of my usual ranges.  Meeting more competitors and thanking more match officials for their efforts was worth the effort on its own.
ngunn
ngunn

SmokinNJokin, Arthur, Wlw145s and severnr like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2