Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much warm up is too much before a match?

+2
DA/SA
NWSteve
6 posters

Go down

How much warm up is too much before a match? Empty How much warm up is too much before a match?

Post by NWSteve Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:20 pm

I'm pretty new to bullseye (four months but every week) I like to get in at least 50 rounds before a match. I was having issues with using CCI SV due to the pistol warming up and the heavy wax coating causing FTEs. I have recently switched to Norma Tac SV and the problem has cleared up. Is 50 rounds unusually high? We shoot 60 rounds during the match but only score the last 30. I am using an Erma ESP 85A.

Edited for brevity.

NWSteve

Back to top Go down

How much warm up is too much before a match? Empty Re: How much warm up is too much before a match?

Post by DA/SA Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:48 pm

Usually a few minutes of dry fire for me.

80 rounds is a lot of warm up!
DA/SA
DA/SA

NWSteve likes this post

Back to top Go down

How much warm up is too much before a match? Empty Re: How much warm up is too much before a match?

Post by chiz1180 Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:00 pm

Before a match my main warm up is basic arm exercises/stretches before 3min prep and dryfire during 3min prep. It has been my experience that most bullseye matches do not offer 'warm up shooting' before the match, therefore I developed my warm up/set up procedure to reflect. For matches that have prep and sighters (for me typically 10m air), I will only shoot enough shots to confirm gun is sighted, no more that 5 shots, usually 2-3 is sufficient. Therefore I do not expend effort that does not count towards my match performance. 

The matches I typically shoot are bullseye NMCs, 600s,900s and 2700s. I also shoot 10m air.
chiz1180
chiz1180

NWSteve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:52 pm

My BS, BS, PTA, MBA, DC son is very jock oriented.  I am told a preshoot workout with rubber tubes and the Theragun are a good idea.  I know it helps loosen me up.
Jack H
Jack H

NWSteve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:53 pm

Just remember, for some matches (think CMP EIC, Presidents, etc., and most Regionals, etc.) the only option you may have is some dryfiring during prep time.  Sometimes your tournament may be called due to weather and then you may have to go to the line the next morning for your final two targets of .45  Rapid Fire.  If you've done it before at your local range, its a little easier to deal with during an actual match.

Be prepared, but don't overdo it or over think it.  Train some in the rain, wind, early, late, etc. Take the opportunity when it come up.  (Just because its raining or windy is not a good reason not to go to the range if you had already planned to.)

CR

CR10X

Arthur, JRV and NWSteve like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NWSteve Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:37 pm

Ok I think I get it. These matches, and match guns are like Top Fuel drag races. This would be like Don Garletts doing laps around the parking lot in his dragster before the race. Thanks guys.

NWSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:16 pm

CR10X wrote:Just remember, for some matches (think CMP EIC, Presidents, etc., and most Regionals, etc.) the only option you may have is some dryfiring during prep time.  Sometimes your tournament may be called due to weather and then you may have to go to the line the next morning for your final two targets of .45  Rapid Fire.  If you've done it before at your local range, its a little easier to deal with during an actual match.

Be prepared, but don't overdo it or over think it.  Train some in the rain, wind, early, late, etc. Take the opportunity when it come up.  (Just because its raining or windy is not a good reason not to go to the range if you had already planned to.)

CR

Going to the range on windy or cold days is excellent training. Rain? I don't want to get my gear wet. But, if I get caught in it it's worth while to keep going for a while see what happens to your zeros, and train your brain. 

Best, 
Arthur

Arthur

NWSteve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Equipment can be cleaned or replaced.

Opportunities to gain experience in adverse conditions without match pressure don't come along that often.

(Like the man said.  "Good judgement comes from experience.  And a lot of experience comes from bad judgement.")

CR10X

NWSteve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down