Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the best case sizing die for Super 38?

+2
Blazin
wizzer
6 posters

Go down

What is the best case sizing die for Super 38? Empty What is the best case sizing die for Super 38?

Post by wizzer 3/14/2023, 7:10 pm

Just as some use a .454 Casull sizer for 45acp to keep from sizing down so far, is there a certain manufacturer that will do the same for a super 38?

wizzer

Back to top Go down

What is the best case sizing die for Super 38? Empty Re: What is the best case sizing die for Super 38?

Post by Blazin 3/16/2023, 6:24 am

This is what I use with great success:
https://www.egwguns.com/undersize-reloading-die-38-super

Blazin

Back to top Go down

What is the best case sizing die for Super 38? Empty Re: What is the best case sizing die for Super 38?

Post by NukeMMC 3/16/2023, 11:01 am

With Bullseye use of 38super being more along the velocity and pressure lines as 38 special, the need to "bulge bust" the cases becomes greatly reduced.
If you're looking to reduce the case sizing such as is done using 454C dies on 45acp, I would be careful. The length vs diameter of 38super is larger than that of the 45acp and you may create feeding issues.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzer 3/16/2023, 12:12 pm

NukeMMC wrote:With Bullseye use of 38super being more along the velocity and pressure lines as 38 special, the need to "bulge bust" the cases becomes greatly reduced.
If you're looking to reduce the case sizing such as is done using 454C dies on 45acp, I would be careful. The length vs diameter of 38super is larger than that of the 45acp and you may create feeding issues.

Yes not worried about high pressure or case bulging, more interested in lead bullet loads and NOT sizing the case down too much.  I have not been able to find data on factory dies showing a comparison diameter AFTER sizing.  Not sure I understand your comment regarding feeding issues?

wizzer

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 3/16/2023, 4:28 pm

Shot quite a bit of super for center fire over the years
.used std sizing dies without issue. Cases life was excellent. Mainly Star amd Rem cases
jglenn21
jglenn21

wizzer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller 3/17/2023, 12:36 pm

I have used a standard Lee Carbide resizing die to reload lead bullets for my 38 Super.  No problems.  I have had issues with used brass and loading jacketed bullets (not enough grip on the bullet) and use an undersize resizing die in those situations.  No problems with new brass and jacketed bullets.

rfmiller

wizzer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Workman 3/17/2023, 5:33 pm

I would not be to worried about initial case sizing, but the problem lies within the neck-sizing and case flaring. Most die manufacturers do not take lead bullets into consideration when they dimension their neck sizers. IIRC Dillon uses .350 to .352" for their neck sizing dies on .38 Super, 9MM and .357 Mag.
 A long shot may be the RCBS "cowboy dies" in .38 Special. Rcbs makes the dies with the intention that the cowboy shooter will be using lead bullets and the neck sizer is larger than their standard .38 special dies.
 But the problem with lead bullets and neck sizing is a problem across the board, Some reloaders go to a custom made neck sizer.

Kermit Workman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down