Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024

+21
Ed Hall
TonyH
PacFltShooter
jglenn21
Al
shanneba
Chase Turner
Jon Eulette
Cmysix
mprince
PMcfall
Merick
bruce martindale
Larry2520
DA/SA
RodJ
mbmshooter
SmokinNJokin
Wobbley
Jack H
Olde Pilot
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024 - Page 3 Empty 45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024

Post by Chase Turner Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello,

Next year, I'm planning on shooting 45ACP 230 gr ball ammo in CMP EIC matches. I'm well aware that this is not necessary. Additionally, I'm not interested in the "I did this (leg out) when it was harder," discussion, as that is not fruitful.

What I *am* interested in, is the current consensus/fact/opinion on two things:

1) What really counts as "ball ammo" velocity that would have been issued on the line?
2) What sort of velocity is necessary for accuracy at 50 yards?

I've read this thread with data provided by Jack H: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t1396-hardball-loads#6974

I've also caught basically the same information/post, though with a little more information/context from the link http://barilin.com/advice/hardball.html using the Wayback machine. I've researched other threads here that may have insight (but sadly cannot find a single test target to look at), but have mostly found discordant views.

It does seem clear that velocity has increased in commercially made 45ACP ball ammo from original introduction of the cartridge (though perhaps that is an artifact of improved chronographs). It also seems to be the case that some of the last stuff issued on the line, TZZ (or IMI, if you prefer) was known to be particularly hot. Of course, lot to lot variance can tell some of the story on perception of how hot some ammo was. So, too, can velocity measurements, as Jack H was kind enough to share, and Julian Hatcher was nice enough to write down (he said 820 fps).

So, let's hear it- what do you know about 45ACP ball ammo velocity that you'd like to share? I'm listening.

Thanks,
Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: 45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024

Post by Ed Hall Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:34 am

TonyH wrote:
shanneba wrote:For anyone interested in the Federal Gold Medal 185 gr FMJSWC- (GM45B) it looks like Federal actually recently made some.
First time in about 2 years that I have seen it available. $72.99 /50
Maybe some of the ammo sellers will get it soon.

I also noticed Federal introduced Gold Medal 9mm 147 gr and 40 S&W 180 gr.
Only $1.46/shot….now that’s hard ball!
Actually, that isn't hardball!  It's semi-wadcutter and is confusing in a "hardball" thread.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:21 am

Ed Hall wrote:
TonyH wrote:
shanneba wrote:For anyone interested in the Federal Gold Medal 185 gr FMJSWC- (GM45B) it looks like Federal actually recently made some.
First time in about 2 years that I have seen it available. $72.99 /50
Maybe some of the ammo sellers will get it soon.

I also noticed Federal introduced Gold Medal 9mm 147 gr and 40 S&W 180 gr.
Only $1.46/shot….now that’s hard ball!
Actually, that isn't hardball!  It's semi-wadcutter and is confusing in a "hardball" thread.
Ed, it was a feeble attempt at humor....aimed at the price.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:48 am

I realized that, but I was also pointing out that it wasn't for ball ammo in a ball thread, which is why I quoted the entire post instead of parts.

The pricing is probably not that far off for SWC Match Federal, taking into account how worthless the dollar has become and the fact that it was already around half that price before the dry spell.  I think Ball ammo has regularly been less expensive, but I really haven't followed the pricing in quite a while.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:31 am

Ball ammo has been less expensive because they make tons of it….  But I ask if it is worth much at all.  Much of it is like the old military ball.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:58 pm

Wobbley wrote:Ball ammo has been less expensive because they make tons of it….  But I ask if it is worth much at all.  Much of it is like the old military ball.

I agree that there had been huge amounts of BALL ammo made for the military.  I believe every point I earned on my journey to Distinguished was shot using MATCH BALL ammo.  I'm not sure what determines if ammo is classified as BALL other than it being FMJ and possibly that it is acceptable for military use.
Regardless, whether factory-loaded or reloaded premium components do make a difference.  Given the rate of inflation I'm not surprised to see the price of Federal GM45A and B ammo increase from the former $49.95/box to $72.95/box, if you can find it.

Mike

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:59 pm

Good Afternoon,

For those following along with this choose-your-own-adventure, I have some additional data to report. The data was collected using a labradar chronograph and barrel testing fixture.

Thanks to the kindness of jglenn, I received some WCC 1975 Eagle Box Match ball for testing. The velocity details (FPS) are reported below and taken at ~58 degrees F.:

Average - 843.55
H - 889.13

L - 777.77
ES - 111.36
STDEV - 24.3

The below photo is of the shots at 50 yards using the Kart NM barrel out of my ball gun:

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024 - Page 3 Pxl_2081

Certainly, this ammo would be capable of some good scores. Do wonder if the velocity numbers would be higher with warmer weather.

Also tested some Atlanta Arms 185 JHP out of the same barrel.

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024 - Page 3 Pxl_2082

Think the barrel is OK. jglenn made sure the barrel was fitted up hard to the pistol, and shaved a little off the trigger spur, because my Mom says I'm too pretty for hammer bite.

My load after much testing indicates I'll probably have the most success with the WW230 bullets I picked up from a kind shooter here (thanks Mike!) using 6.1gr BE86, which comes in at ~820. I've gotten this as "period correct" as I'm going to get it... or at least I can say I got what they put on the boxes for many years. Smile

The aforementioned load shot in the same barrel had 10 shots @ 50 yards like so:

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024 - Page 3 Pxl_2083

...which I think will do just fine.

Hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving,
Chase

Chase Turner

mbmshooter, bruce martindale and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:24 pm

Chase
I think I’d look at different makes of 230 JRN bullets.  I don’t know which brand you chose,  it I know that different makes were better than others.  In my guns, I found Sierra and Hornady outperformed Winchester.  And, in my guns, Federal Red Box 230 outshot Winchester.

As for your published load results, I’m not sure your powder selection is optimal.  With an ES of 110 it indicates that a different powder might be more uniform.   

As for “mbmshooter’s” inquiry about how “BALL” and “MATCH” are designated in the olden days, as I understood it, the “Match” was loaded with selected components by the contract holder for 45 ammo at the time.  They made a special run of brass to add “MATCH” to the headstamp and put them in special boxes after loading.  They had to meet velocity and accuracy limits.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:23 pm

I've got roughly a 'metric s' ton' of 230 Sierra's that I can cheerfully use up at any leg match I might attend. They need to go somewhere... more valuable as 'leg meat' than scrap...

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:37 am

WesG wrote:I've got roughly a 'metric s' ton' of 230 Sierra's that I can cheerfully use up at any leg match I might attend. They need to go somewhere... more valuable  as 'leg meat' than scrap...

Wes,

I've been thinking about what to try next after the self imposed challenge next year, and after chatting with Jon and Jimmy, thought it might be cool to do a review/experimentation on 230 JRN bullets that were loaded to softball or below levels. People probably have closets full of 230 bullets that they don't want to shoot up because they have the good sense to not rattle their own teeth. So, let's find a way to shoot them up that is 1) reasonably accurate for slow speeds and 2) has minimal recoil.

Jon's loads, listed in this thread, were not bad (3.8/4.0 BE) in the slightest. I put them together in a hurry so that we could see an initial test- mixed brass and Montana Gold 230 bullets. Jimmy gave me some 230 Hornady that he loaded up with 4.0 of WST, and they were also OK. I couldn't get the Sierra's to shoot in this particular barrel with BE86 or Titegroup, though they did like another barrel (both Kart). Additionally, work is still ongoing to firm up the mount for the test fixture, so that adds a little uncertainty to what test results have been produced to present, though I'm sure the trends seen are representative of what can be achieved.

I've been told that in the period between when ammo was issued on the line and the move to 185s, some of the military teams were shooting very downloaded ammo. No idea if that's true, so file that one under scuttlebutt.

Anyway, food for thought. Shoot'em if you got'em!

-Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:33 am

Don’t be fooled by statistically insignificant testing….math guys, of which I am not one, will tell you that a number of 10 shot tests are needed to validate the conclusion. I hate wasting a lot of ammo on testing when my improvements come from shooting. Thanks for doing this, but do repeat the original tests that looked so good. Now as o the Atl Arms, no repeat necessary

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:00 am

bruce martindale wrote:Don’t be fooled by statistically insignificant testing….math guys, of which I am not one, will tell you that a number of 10 shot tests are needed to validate the conclusion. I hate wasting a lot of ammo on testing when my improvements come from shooting. Thanks for doing this, but do repeat the original tests that looked so good. Now as o the Atl Arms, no repeat necessary
"In God we trust, all others verify"

With the initial stated goal, the testing being done makes sense. This is especially true as lots of anecdotal evidence has been stated over the years on this subject. Testing like this is not wasting ammo, it is providing a base for future success, it is a vital part of any successful shooting program.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Chase Turner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rush223 Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:04 pm

After reading this I have an idea.
Have 5-6 of your friends load 35 rounds of 230 ball at your specified velocity with whatever bullets and powder they have and issue it to you at the EIC matches. Make it more like “the good old days”.

I’ll be the one on the line shooting 5s and 6s with pipsqueak 9mm loads carefully zeroed in my gun.

Rush

Rush223

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:15 pm

Chase

I just loaded up some 230 Cast LRN with some “powder puff” loads for testing.  The powders are 3.5, 4.0 BE and 3.6, 3.8, 4.0 Titegroup.   I’ll certainly share any data generated.  According to a cursory map of the data, it appears that the “magic sauce” to duplicate the impulse of the 200 SWC “bullseye load” is a velocity of 675 fps.  This seems to be attainable with charges of 3.6 to 3.8 grains of TiteGroup, Bullseye, or WST.  My focus for powder is Titegroup because it’s not my main selection for bullseye but it seems suitable.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:34 pm

An update, this was the first time I’ve had to test these “powder puff” loads with 230 Cast LRN.  No velocity, just function but I did shoot them offhand.  3.6 Bullseye, 3.6 Titegroup, and 3.8 Titegroup had 100% function.   The target results are decent, and some most were on call.  Of the three, 3.8 Titegroup might be a bit better but a proper evaluation would be required.  So for those wanting to play with 230 LRN bullets for training and match shooting, try these powder puff loads.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:13 am

Update:

Fired first service pistol match for 2024 at the Dixie Matches in Jacksonville (why weren't you there?). My first goal has been met: I beat the cut score by a few points, ending up with a 254-1X.  

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024 - Page 3 Pxl_2099

I was really stoked to get this show on the road, though I had some match nerves big time! Long line target could have been better, and I felt good about timed, but rapid fire wasn't great- I was rushing too much to get the gun back down on target such that I didn't execute my triggering well for one string.

All in all though, it was an excellent start. Next SP EIC match is at the GA Regional. Hope to see you there!

-Chase

Chase Turner

fc60, mbmshooter, john bickar, Wobbley, chiz1180, shanneba, JHHolliday and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:16 pm

Good for you Chase !

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner Yesterday at 3:21 pm

Good afternoon,

The 2024 Georgia Regional is in the books, thanks to everyone who came out and shot with us.

87-96-83

Long line was great target, all shots on call. After timed, I made the ordinal sin of thinking I "had it in the bag." I did not have it in the bag, and I know better. Still, that's what happened.

Congrats to Jason Gregoire for his win!

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024 - Page 3 Pxl_2100

Chase Turner

chiz1180, JHHolliday and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Yesterday at 3:31 pm

Congrats Chase and Jason! Well deserved!

As for my 230 Cast loads for training, I took this months training session to see how well these things could do. Here’s a 50 shot target shot while my arm was rested….(I was looking to see if I had a trigger control issue). So download them and use ‘em up! Perfect for training and small matches.

45ACP Hardball Challenge 2024 - Page 3 Img_0418
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3