Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info on silver bowl medal

5 posters

Go down

Info on silver bowl medal Empty Info on silver bowl medal

Post by rlporter507 9/6/2023, 12:15 pm

back in the 90's at Camp Perry there was an award medal with a bowl on it. If I remember right, it was the Silver Bowl trophy, but don't remember if it was NRA or CMP award. I think it was for civilians, but not sure.
I recently came into the care of a retired shooters trophy's, and there were 2 of them in the collection. I cant find anything on the NRA or CMP site, and do remember that they discontinued giving them out late 90's.
Looking for someone that remembers what they were for.
Thanks

rlporter507

Back to top Go down

Info on silver bowl medal Empty Re: Info on silver bowl medal

Post by mbmshooter 9/6/2023, 1:31 pm

rlporter507 wrote:back in the 90's at Camp Perry there was an award medal with a bowl on it. If I remember right, it was the Silver Bowl trophy, but don't remember if it was NRA or CMP award. I think it was for civilians, but not sure.
I recently came into the care of a retired shooters trophy's, and there were 2 of them in the collection. I cant find anything on the NRA or CMP site, and do remember that they discontinued giving them out late 90's.
Looking for someone that remembers what they were for.
Thanks

You are referring to the Citizens" Military Pistol Trophy that was awarded to the highest scoring civilian in the National
Trophy Individual (NTI) Match.  Travis Jorgenson has won this trophy for the past two years and the list of previous winners
includes some very accomplished shooters.  I suspect your friend's name can be found among them.

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 9/6/2023, 6:25 pm

Seems as if the lwinning score last yr or, the previous yr, for this trophy was 289! A good score indeed. Some yrs  ago the NTI was won by a Shrpshooter.

In my opinion these opportunities helped make BE such a great venue !!

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Hawkja likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 9/6/2023, 8:55 pm

Colt711 wrote:Seems as if the lwinning score last yr or, the previous yr, for this trophy was 289! A good score indeed. Some yrs  ago the NTI was won by a Shrpshooter.

In my opinion these opportunities helped make BE such a great venue !!

Ron Habegger

I don't recall that a SS ever won the NTI but I agree that it gives hope to ALL Bullseye shooters.
Going back more than 60 years, the winning scores of the NTI were generally in the 290s.  There
have been scores in the 280s but you would have to go back to 1947 to see a 279 win the NTI.

I have always loved shooting Service Pistol and hope God gives me health to keep doing it for
a few more years.

Mike

mbmshooter

popchevy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Info on silver bowl medal Empty getting there

Post by rlporter507 9/6/2023, 10:02 pm

Ok, getting closer,. My friend never won the NTI, so the CMP must have given out medals for the top 10% of civilians gold ,silver, and bronze??
these look like a bronze Custer medal, but it has a bowl on it.
thank for the info!

rlporter507

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 9/7/2023, 1:20 pm

rlporter507 wrote:Ok, getting closer,. My friend never won the NTI, so the CMP must have given out medals for the top 10% of civilians gold ,silver, and bronze??
these look like a bronze Custer medal, but it has a bowl on it.
thank for the info!

I just looked through my CMP drawer and saw some from the 80s with Custer and the date tab on the ribbon.  Another dated 1991 had both a date tab and a "Civilian" tab and it had the bowl instead of Custer.  I didn't bother looking through the paperwork to see what these medals represent but
I believe I'm looking at the same medal to which you are referring.

Mike

mbmshooter

Kp321 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 9/7/2023, 1:28 pm

You might be thinking of the Anheuser Busch trophy, awarded to the high civilian NTI/NTT combined.

https://thecmp.org/award-category/anheuser-busch-trophy/
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by rlporter507 9/7/2023, 1:33 pm

sounds like just what i have. civilian and date, tab, bowl on medal. if you dont mind looking at paperwork, id appreciate it.
I found the letter i received saying my score had earned the medal, and was sent somewhere to be shipped, but it did not say what it was for. 
I do believe it could be connected to the citizens trophy, and probably worked like the custer medal. top percent receiving gold, silver, bronze medals.
thanks

rlporter507

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/7/2023, 3:26 pm

There were “Blackinton” medals with a bowl on the face that were awarded to shooters that “made a cut” at many National Matches events (Air Force Cup, Custer trophy, etc).  As I recall, some were DCM awarded, some were NRA.  But the medal portion was just to represent the base trophy which was a bowl.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down