Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help with scope creep

+10
jjfitch
rich.tullo
rrampe
Cmysix
Kp321
BE Mike
javaduke
Rodger Barthlow
Tripscape
DA/SA
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Please help with scope creep - Page 2 Empty Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 12/20/2023, 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Got a revolver with weaver base and rings, and a long eye relief scope.  All in very deep blue high polished. Looks great, but since all parts are polished I am having scope creep that is rotational to the right.  Even clamped very tight the scope rotates slightly but noticeably to the right after few reloads.  

I know there are many methods to tighten up the play, but which would be best for high polish to high polish? I am thinking blue Loctite, is that the best solution?  Note - not looking to remove or alter any material on scope or rings. 

Thanks!

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep - Page 2 Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Froneck 1/6/2024, 4:16 pm

All loctite colors. Not sure but they may have other products for not ferrous material.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 1/6/2024, 10:07 pm

Froneck wrote:All loctite colors. Not sure but they may have other products for not ferrous material.

Loctite is basically metal-ion-activated superglue (cyanoacrylate), so for bonding other material the choice would be plain superglue.  Please help with scope creep - Page 2 1f601 

You'll need to use acetone to remove the residual adhesive, for either product.

Loctite is interesting on another way too - oxygen inhibits the hardening/bonding. This is why it comes in squishy plastic tubes/bottles, which allow oxygen to migrate through. When it's confined in threads, it goes to work from the inside out.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep - Page 2 Empty Loctite??

Post by jjfitch 1/6/2024, 10:21 pm

Tripscape wrote:Got a revolver with weaver base and rings, and a long eye relief scope.  All in very deep blue high polished. Looks great, but since all parts are polished I am having scope creep that is rotational to the right.  Even clamped very tight the scope rotates slightly but noticeably to the right after few reloads.  

I know there are many methods to tighten up the play, but which would be best for high polish to high polish? I am thinking blue Loctite, is that the best solution?  Note - not looking to remove or alter any material on scope or rings. 

Thanks!

Be sure you understand the removal process before using Loctite. Some require heat for removal/change/adjustment. Heating may ruin your scope! Sad
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/12/2024, 12:15 pm

Might want to use Loctite 222 (Purple) it works on Brass and Aluminum though I would put it on clean brass or aluminum prior to using it on the scope and rings. 222 is lower in strength and probably more than you need. Removing the scope will be easier too if required. Acetone or a Loctite remover from loctite will clean any remaining residue if disassembled.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 1/12/2024, 7:34 pm

I've used a soldering iron directly on the screws before.
Stan

chopper

Cmysix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 1/15/2024, 3:59 pm

Heat works to remove screws that were Loctited. I Have a screwdriver made from a soldering iron, I put a steel tip in it.
 But that's good to remove screws, I doubt heat will be required to remove a scope from the rings, If i did use loctite on the ring screws it would 222.
 If I were to remove a scope from rings that were loctited. I would clean the loctite off before reassembly.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/17/2024, 5:35 pm

Blue loctite seems to be holding very well. Not looking to remove anytime soon or even ever. Scope is Tasco Japan 2x reticle and electrodot. Balances awesome on this revolver. I am very happy with this combination. 

Thank you all for providing inputs and insight.

Tripscape

rrampe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 1/18/2024, 5:36 am

IF you were to use "loctite" in the rings, You would want to use green loctite, Thats made for FLANGE type, 680, 638, 620. in the 600 series of loctites, some will "fill" 15 thousands or more. works wonders on a slip-fit inside bearing race that got bigger over time
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/18/2024, 5:58 am

Yes, agree, I just didn't have one on hand at the time

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by BEA 1/18/2024, 1:26 pm

I have not read through all the replies so you may have answered this already, but is drilling and tapping out of the question?  That aside, are those the Weaver rings that have 2 screws on one side?  If so, IMO, this type ring is horrible.  It has been a long time since I have seen this type of Weaver scope mount but I wonder if it will take a different type of Weaver ring.  If so, I recommend trying the Weaver 4 hole skeleton rings.  The old strap over 2 hole rings are excellent at damaging the scope tube if you tighten the screws enough.  I know you have what you have, but just throwing this out there...I recommend a lighter sight.  The scope you have is pretty heavy and offers too much resistance to being moved under recoil, and it is smooth as you stated.   A 1 inch Ultra Dot would be my pick.  Those smooth scopes are slippery and I have had the same problem mounting one of them on a 44 mag revolver.  I had to go to a JD Jones 3 ring mount to keep it from moving.  That was years ago.  These days there are more options but unfortunately, the best ones would require drilling and tapping.  I can easily understand why you might choose not to go this route.

An afterthought...consider going with a 30mm Ultra Dot with the 30mm Weaver 4 hole rings, if they will fit that base.  The 30mm dot is light and the larger/wider rings offer more bearing surface. I have this setup on my SW Model 29 44 mag (factory drilled for a base) and it holds fine with an Aimpoint 9000SC, so far.

Good luck.

BEA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2