Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First 2700 Match!

+5
BHeintz
james r chapman
john bickar
chiz1180
ding-a-ling
9 posters

Go down

First 2700 Match! Empty First 2700 Match!

Post by ding-a-ling 4/11/2024, 9:54 pm

I am an unclassified competitor. This is not by design or choice, but by geography. I recently registered for my first 2700 BE match. 
I have a couple options... 
I can shoot three courses with my .22 and will almost certainly score as an Expert. If the planets align (and I hold my mouth right) I may even earn a Master level score.
I understand that if I shoot a couple gallery courses after the 2700 I may very well be classified a Master. This would put me with the Masters in future matches.
I could also shoot the .22 for 900 (or 1800) and shoot .45 for 900.
I can't shoot my .45 worth a lick. Seriously, I would be lucky to post 450 points. I have a light grip, a flinch, and a 1911 that is definately not a Les Baer...

Am I going to get flamed as a sandbagger if I do this, or is it a common enough practice? I've heard chatter alluding to it...

I genuinely want to positively progress with my shooting skills. In that light it seems that I should shoot the different pistols throughout the 2700 and earn whatever classification I achieve.

Thanks,

ding-a-ling

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

First 2700 Match! Empty Re: First 2700 Match!

Post by chiz1180 4/11/2024, 10:24 pm

As someone who has been called a sandbagger on several occasions, who cares what classification you end up with. I have outshot High Masters with a Marksman card, and I have had Marksmen outshoot my Expert card. As long as you are being safe and having fun, shoot what you want.
chiz1180
chiz1180

john bickar, Danehogle, AC Baker and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 4/12/2024, 12:31 am

I would definitely recommend shooting your .22 for your first 2700 all the way through.

"Learn the rules and the tools," as a mentor once told me.

You'll have plenty of time to master the .45. Trust me: I know sandbaggers, and a person shooting their first 2700 is not a sandbagger.
john bickar
john bickar

lyoke, Bmitch996, djperry2, chiz1180, AC Baker, RoyDean, targetshooter_10x and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 4/12/2024, 5:58 am

Trust Bickar, he’s sorta a “been there, done that sorta shooter”  First 2700 Match! 1f601
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Bmitch996 and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BHeintz 4/12/2024, 9:41 am

I would also recommend shooting your .22 for the whole match starting out. You won't be classified after one match, you need 360 shots. And even if you shoot multiple 2700's with your .22, the classification will be a ".22 Only" classification, and it will be a "Outdoor" classification. So you still won't be classified indoors, or in any match including centerfire. This is how it was for me years back, I don't think things have changed but I could be wrong. 
     Getting used to the way things flow throughout the match like having magazines loaded and ready, scoring targets, filling out score cards, using the correct target (50 yd/25 yd) will probably require more of your attention than the shooting itself. So shooting just the .22 can make it a bit easier starting out.

BHeintz

john bickar, james r chapman, djperry2, Arthur, AC Baker, targetshooter_10x and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 4/12/2024, 11:45 am

I think shooting your 22 for the whole thing would be the better choice as well.  You are more comfortable/confident with that gun right now anyways so it takes some pressure off so you can learn the process / procedures of a match with less stress.  This wasn't an option when I first started out but I can see the value of it for everyone new to the sport.  It will make things more enjoyable for you and give you the confidence to progress to the other guns in time.  As far as sandbagging goes, it is most often used the other way.  Guys will shoot great scores and then tank the CF or 45 portion so they stay in the lower classification.  That way they get more prizes the next match when they shoot really good 22 scores.  Nobody trying to do that would intentionally put themselves in the upper classes.  But as chiz pointed out, you shouldn't give a rip.  You know what your goals are and what you are trying to accomplish and this is part of your overall plan.  Have fun with your first match and learn how it all works.

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

AC Baker and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 4/12/2024, 12:05 pm

While you are working on your .22 classification, we can take care of your .45, it can be even better than a Les Baer, if done right Smile

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

ding-a-ling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 4/12/2024, 1:19 pm

james r chapman wrote:Trust Bickar, he’s sorta a “been there, done that sorta shooter”  First 2700 Match! 1f601

Never trust a person who says "trust me" Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 4/12/2024, 3:51 pm

chiz1180 wrote:As someone who has been called a sandbagger on several occasions, who cares what classification you end up with. I have outshot High Masters with a Marksman card, and I have had Marksmen outshoot my Expert card. As long as you are being safe and having fun, shoot what you want.
sandbagger.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 4/12/2024, 10:37 pm

Cmysix wrote:
chiz1180 wrote:As someone who has been called a sandbagger on several occasions, who cares what classification you end up with. I have outshot High Masters with a Marksman card, and I have had Marksmen outshoot my Expert card. As long as you are being safe and having fun, shoot what you want.
sandbagger.

Little bit of friendly advice, that name is typically used under a few typical circumstances:
1) By friends after putting up a fantastic number as a congratulations type compliment
2) By individuals who are unwilling to put in the work required to improve their own shooting or are not able to shoot as well as they once were in the past.

High Masters don’t always put up High Master numbers, and Marksmen can have a fantastically good day and put up some awesome numbers. I honestly don’t care what anyone calls me personally, but it is not good form to be negative about someone’s success, especially if you don’t understand the effort that was put in to achieve it.
chiz1180
chiz1180

AC Baker and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb 4/12/2024, 11:49 pm

ding-a-ling wrote:I am an unclassified competitor. This is not by design or choice, but by geography. I recently registered for my first 2700 BE match. 
I have a couple options... 
I can shoot three courses with my .22 and will almost certainly score as an Expert. If the planets align (and I hold my mouth right) I may even earn a Master level score.
I understand that if I shoot a couple gallery courses after the 2700 I may very well be classified a Master. This would put me with the Masters in future matches.
I could also shoot the .22 for 900 (or 1800) and shoot .45 for 900.
I can't shoot my .45 worth a lick. Seriously, I would be lucky to post 450 points. I have a light grip, a flinch, and a 1911 that is definately not a Les Baer...

Am I going to get flamed as a sandbagger if I do this, or is it a common enough practice? I've heard chatter alluding to it...

I genuinely want to positively progress with my shooting skills. In that light it seems that I should shoot the different pistols throughout the 2700 and earn whatever classification I achieve.

Thanks,
Shoot the heck out of what you are comfortable with. If you are classified above your punching weight, it doesn't make you a sandbagger. The entire goal of this sport is to win the match aggregate. Wins within classes are just consolation prizes. If being in a higher classification gives you the confidence to excel, GOOD FOR YOU! BTW, if you shoot master in 22 and struggle with CF/45, I'd bet a fellow shooter would let you use a match 45 and help you any way he can. When I say a fellow shooter, it's 90+% an older guy who is former/lifetime master that would like nothing more than seeing his gun win a match again.

Last edited by Dan Webb on 4/15/2024, 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Dan Webb

mbmshooter, AC Baker, bwoodc12 and ding-a-ling like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 4/13/2024, 9:59 am

chiz1180 wrote:
Cmysix wrote:
sandbagger.

Little bit of friendly advice, that name is typically used under a few typical circumstances:
1) By friends after putting up a fantastic number as a congratulations type compliment
2) By individuals who are unwilling to put in the work required to improve their own shooting or are not able to shoot as well as they once were in the past.

High Masters don’t always put up High Master numbers, and Marksmen can have a fantastically good day and put up some awesome numbers. I honestly don’t care what anyone calls me personally, but it is not good form to be negative about someone’s success, especially if you don’t understand the effort that was put in to achieve it.
obviously, someone needs to go out and buy themselves a sense of humor.
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by ding-a-ling 4/14/2024, 2:25 pm

javaduke wrote:While you are working on your .22 classification, we can take care of your .45, it can be even better than a Les Baer, if done right Smile
I have two options: a Colt Gold Cup and an RIA FS HC. The Colt shoots as expected. It does not have a tight lock up at all, but it runs anything ever put in the mag. The RIA does show promise as the lock up is very tight and can make a nice group with decent ammo (it has a tighter group than the Colt). I gave it my best effort trigger job which went miles toward a real shooter. The trigger has less pretravel, zero overtravel (thanks to the OEM set screw), and a crisper break than the Colt at the same 4lb 3oz. The biggest issue with the RIA for me is the grip size. It's a double stack, and my hand is at the small end of meduim. I removed the right grip panel and replaced it with grip tape. I can get a proper grip, but I have to pack the gun into my hand. After a round or two of 230gr, I have lost that initial grip and have to repack. I only bought it as the price was too good to turn down.... I'm eventually going to spring for some of the Black Hills 200gr swc and see if that improves the sit.

ding-a-ling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down