Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What 22 Conversion to Buy?

+10
JayhawkNavy02
DavidR
ssds14534
Jack H
Jon Eulette
gitkrunk
markj
Rob Kovach
LenV
chiltech500
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What 22 Conversion to Buy? - Page 2 Empty What 22 Conversion to Buy?

Post by chiltech500 Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gents,

I am looking at my first 22 conversion purchase and do not have unlimited funds. It will be for a Springfield Loaded model.

I have been looking at the Nighthawk site and see $560 for mag and slide/barrel, I think this is a Marvel licensed unit.

I saw a post about Nelson at mid $400 and I see on ebay Advantage Arms kit, GSG, and Kimber "factory" kits, all in the high $200's.

Marvels website mentions a lock back unit at $499 but their ordering menu doesn't give you that option.

I am new to conversions so any guidance would be appreciated.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

What 22 Conversion to Buy? - Page 2 Empty Re: What 22 Conversion to Buy?

Post by dronning Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:08 pm

JayhawkNavy02 wrote:I just got mine from Larry at Nelson Custom, wow, the fit and finish is top notch, the materials are super.  Everything from the box to the packaging is first rate.  The magazines are plastic and fit perfect and look incredibly durable.  Sight picture is terrific, the top of the slide is serrated and the rib can be easily removed for an optic.  Larry was terrific to deal with and can answer your questions.  Great guy, making stuff here in the USA from Mr. Marvel's updated design.  Off to the range today to break it in, can't wait!

++1 I had the same experience, and I have over 1,500 rounds through it without an issue.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 pm

chiltech500 wrote:Gents,

I am looking at my first 22 conversion purchase and do not have unlimited funds. It will be for a Springfield Loaded model.

I have been looking at the Nighthawk site and see $560 for mag and slide/barrel, I think this is a Marvel licensed unit.

I saw a post about Nelson at mid $400 and I see on ebay Advantage Arms kit, GSG, and Kimber "factory" kits, all in the high $200's.

Marvels website mentions a lock back unit at $499 but their ordering menu doesn't give you that option.

I am new to conversions so any guidance would be appreciated.

The Nighthawk is not based on the Marvel Unit 1/2, its the new design from Bob Marvel, which is not the same as Marvel Precision, I know, its confusing.  You can get the same conversion, but with an extra magazine for free from Nelson Custom but tomorrow (April 20th) is the last day for the special.  The Nelson Custom conversion is also based on the updates/upgrades by Bob Marvel, the original designer.  I do not know who makes the conversion for Nighthawk.  The Nelson, like the Nighthawk is also a lock back unit, and at no additional cost.  I believe Marvel charges an additional amount for that feature.   The price of a Nelson lock back + 2 magazines is $415 before shipping, the same lock back feature from Marvel runs $499 for aluminum or $695 for steel and an extra magazine will cost you.

https://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/22lr-conversion/

https://www.facebook.com/NelsonCustomGuns

Marvel's website, "Marvel Precision" has no association with the designer Bob Marvel and hasn't for a long time, since 2003, although they use his name.

http://bobmarvelcustomguns.com/22-conversion.html

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:54 pm

So I have the marvel steel lock back and the slide is steel. Is the Nelson like the advantage with a alum slide with some kind of steel pins that are used the lock back?
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:27 pm

JayhawkNavy02 wrote wrote:The Nighthawk is not based on the Marvel Unit 1/2, its the new design from Bob Marvel, which is not the same as Marvel Precision
The differences between the Marvel Unit 1, Advantage Arms, Nighthawk, Tactical Solutions, Nelson are very few.  They are "different" but they really ARE "based" on the DAY ARMS conversions and are just progressions and improvements on that design.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Sorry about that, what I should have said, it is not the same.  I also heard there was a well regarded Kart conversion, but the ones I found were very expensive.   They also look to be very similar in design as you mentioned, but I have no experience having just seen them for sale, at $800+....wow!

Are the plastic magazines all interchangeable?

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:44 pm

JayhawkNavy02 wrote:

No they aren't.

On my Marvel unit 1 I had problems with mags and the ProMag worked nearly perfect. The Kimbers and ProMags I have don't work in my Nelson.

The Nelson mag was redesigned to address feeding issues that the others experienced. I have over 1,500 rounds through mine and it hasn't missed a beat.

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:56 pm

The Plastic mags are all slightly different.  Advantage Arms plastic mags outperform all of the metal mags that I have used for the Marvel, but the plastic mags don't work well for the Marvel, and the metal mags don't work for the Advantage Arms.

You know how the Nelson conversions have Bob Marvel logos on them?  The Advantage Arms conversion that I have has a Bob Marvel logo on it.  I don't think that Bob came up with many significant changes when he brought his design from company to company.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mparker Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:48 am

The history and pedigree of all the various Marvel conversions is kinda convoluted.

Larry Nelson told me that his  Nelson Custom conversion is a collaboration between him and Bob Marvel to  improve and uprade the Marvel Unit 1 we all know and love.

Nelson licenses the unit to Nighthawk.

Marvel markets it under his own name as well.

mparker

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:59 am

dronning wrote:
JayhawkNavy02 wrote:

No they aren't.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

That saves me some serious pain down the road.  The magazines in the Nelson conversion look top notch.  I'm definitely glad he puts the tool in there to compress the spring Smile
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:58 am

New forum member, but long time Bullseye Competitor.  I've always shot my HS Victor for the 22 leg, but  I've always been interested in a 1911 conversion to keep the feel of the 1911 grip/trigger.  Do most of you who use the conversions buy a separate frame?   In 900 or 1800 matches I'd have time to change over, but in our club weekly matches, they usually go immediately into shooting the centerfire stage and I'm not sure how much time is involved in the conversion process.  Any input would be appreciated.

ps. do these conversions typically come with two magazines?  If not, are extra mags available?
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:11 am

45ACP223 wrote:New forum member, but long time Bullseye Competitor.  I've always shot my HS Victor for the 22 leg, but  I've always been interested in a 1911 conversion to keep the feel of the 1911 grip/trigger.  Do most of you who use the conversions buy a separate frame?   In 900 or 1800 matches I'd have time to change over, but in our club weekly matches, they usually go immediately into shooting the centerfire stage and I'm not sure how much time is involved in the conversion process.  Any input would be appreciated.

ps. do these conversions typically come with two magazines?  If not, are extra mags available?

I use to use my hardball gun for my Marvel. While a 4lb trigger with a 22 was a good trainer i believe that the 2lb trigger on your 22 will bring your scores up. So i purchased an RO sold the slide/barrel and have a dedicated lower now.  The Marvel comes with 1 Mag the Nelson comes with 1 mag. A few weeks ago Nelson was giving away a free mag w/ each kit.

Video how long it takes to change 22 upper.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Tbnn3XgZQ

Last edited by gitkrunk on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:18 am

Remember you can run a 2lb trigger on the 22 but must run a 3.5lb trigger on the 45 so even though switching is easy you would be at a disadvantage running a 3.5lb trigger on the 22.

Most run a dedicated frame from another 1911 with a 2-2.25 lb trigger job so they don't have to switch.  If you run irons or a slide mount dot on your 45 you can make the switch in plenty of time.  If you run a frame mount dot the point of impact won't be the same - big hassle.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks for the info. guys!   Yes, the trigger pull was something I overlooked.  I guess it's best to have a dedicated 1911 frame for the 22 conversion.  I'll keep it on my "to buy" list but it's now moved down a bit in my must have order….. :-)
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:19 am

I have my .22 trigger set for 4lbs--I'm working on my .45 scores. 

Shoot what you have and have fun.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:59 am

Rob Kovach wrote:

+1
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 am

Rob Kovach wrote:I have my .22 trigger set for 4lbs--I'm working on my .45 scores. 

Same here.  My Hardball/centerfire/45 1911 is also my 22 pistol with the Nelson conversion.  Someday I'll have a dedicated pistol, but this works fine for me at the novice level, what I do like is the same grip, trigger, sights, etc. for every stage.  Trying to get my fundamentals down IMO is easier with the same basic pistol for me as a beginner having to only deal with one setup.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by chiltech500 Sun May 18, 2014 4:29 am

I am the OP and have my Nelson based on advice from this site and I am very happy with it. The Nelson with 3 mags arrived at my door for $450 shipped. It functions flawlessly and locks back on even cheapo ammo.

I don't love the plastic mags but they save on weight. The version I selected has the rail mounted but it doesn't move with the slide, the slide moves under it, so it is like a frame mount. I'm currently using my Dan Wesson frame but will be using a Springfield when it returns from a trigger job.

chiltech500

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2