Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 52 details

+12
desben
jglenn21
rich.tullo
Jerry Keefer
STEVE SAMELAK
JIMPGOV
C.Perkins
Rob Kovach
james r chapman
Wobbley
AllAces
orpheoet
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Model 52 details - Page 2 Empty Model 52 details

Post by orpheoet 9/18/2015, 6:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

A friend who collects S&W revolvers offered me a NIB Model 52 (-2 I think)that was part of an estate he bought. He paid $950 and that seems like a pretty good deal to me. Any info about this model would be appreciated especially how to load for it. I have some HBWC loaded 2.6 gr of WST 1.16 OAL. will that work?
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Model 52 details - Page 2 Empty Re: Model 52 details

Post by orpheoet 10/10/2015, 7:57 pm

It certainly could have been, and probably was there when I bought it. I don't know what it is! I just want to make sure its not something I need to worry about.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/11/2015, 12:25 pm

Looks like someone put their salty fingers on it 30 years ago and put it away without wiping clean. It happens.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/11/2015, 1:46 pm

orpheoet wrote:Anybody know what's going on with this pitting? I just noticed it. Is this common, should I be concerned?Model 52 details - Page 2 Img_3310
That is not a common problem, from what I've seen. Pitting like that usually is seen on stainless steel handguns that have been exposed to salt water, etc. I'm pretty sure that the slides were forged, not cast. All that being said, it looks like just a cosmetic issue. The low pressure ammo you should be firing in that gun, shouldn't make you concerned about structural integrity.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 10/11/2015, 6:34 pm

BE Mike wrote:
orpheoet wrote:Anybody know what's going on with this pitting? I just noticed it. Is this common, should I be concerned?Model 52 details - Page 2 Img_3310
That is not a common problem, from what I've seen. Pitting like that usually is seen on stainless steel handguns that have been exposed to salt water, etc. I'm pretty sure that the slides were forged, not cast. All that being said, it looks like just a cosmetic issue. The low pressure ammo you should be firing in that gun, shouldn't make you concerned about structural integrity.
Thanks for the reassurance. Man does it have a sweet trigger...
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 10/17/2015, 10:21 pm

The gun was on a bench across the room from where Sigourney Weaver clobbered an alien.

Just one tiny drop of that green blood...

Problem with used guns is that you never really know where they've been...just like those nickels your Mom told you to never put in your mouth.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 11/2/2015, 5:48 pm

I would recommend using Titegroup 2.6 - 2.8 gr. with a 148 gr. wadcutter.  Reason being that my reloading press has tiny cavities for light powder charges like that, and powder "bridging" was an issue with flake type powders (Red Dot, Bullseye, etc.) I had more than a few squibs, which is embarrasing at best and dangerous at worst.  Titegroup is a ball powder that flows easily through anything.  Another plus is that it's not position sensitive.  With all that room in 38 case, it helps.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2