Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground

+10
JD Mahan
Wobbley
mikemyers
Boris_La
Blsi2600
jwax
brassmaster
BE Mike
LenV
Hardballer
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground Empty Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground

Post by Hardballer 8/16/2017, 11:48 pm

I've been looking through the NRA Rulebook and Section 4 seems to have all the info you could need except the distance from the center of the bull to the ground.  I hope that I have not overlooked it.  Will someone please tell me the correct measurement?

Last edited by Hardballer on 8/17/2017, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : used all caps by mistake)
Hardballer
Hardballer

Back to top Go down

Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground Empty Re: Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground

Post by LenV 8/17/2017, 12:18 am

After some discussion I think the forum agreed on 55"

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5586-target-height?highlight=target+height

And welcome to another Lifetime Master. I think that makes two of us. Laughing
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground Empty Re: Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground

Post by Hardballer 8/17/2017, 1:22 am

55" - Perfect, thanks Len and thanks for the welcome.
Hardballer
Hardballer

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 8/17/2017, 7:30 am

The measurement is taken at the firing point, so if your range has a slope...
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardballer 8/17/2017, 10:13 am

If there is a slope, would it then be better to use something like a "Laser Level" measured 55" up from the firing line to the center of the target?  I'm not trying to split hairs, just trying to get this right.
Hardballer
Hardballer

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 8/17/2017, 3:38 pm

It can't make that much difference if it is just for practice. I routinely staple 4 repair centers to the target at the same time. That means I have 4 targets at the wrong height. Adjust your stance a tiny bit and shoot. Works great for practice.

Len

Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground Dscf0612
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 8/18/2017, 7:48 am

Hardballer wrote:If there is a slope, would it then be better to use something like a "Laser Level" measured 55" up from the firing line to the center of the target?  I'm not trying to split hairs, just trying to get this right.
That sounds like a great way to do it. There is also some leeway (+ or- a certain number of inches) but I cannot recall exactly how much. I was in from the beginning of construction of an indoor bullseye pistol range for our club, but that was a long, long time ago and I long ago relinquished the NRA Range Manual to the club.
BE Mike
BE Mike

onlylead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Distance From Center Of Bullseye To The Ground Empty Bench Height?

Post by brassmaster 8/18/2017, 1:35 pm

LenV wrote:After some discussion I think the forum agreed on 55"

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5586-target-height?highlight=target+height

And welcome to another Lifetime Master. I think that makes two of us. Laughing
O.k. Len, now that the target height has been addressed, how about bench height (top of bench to ground) at the firing line? Is this addressed by NRA or CMP and if it is, where could one find that referenced?

Thanks!
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 8/18/2017, 8:27 pm

I guarantee that there is no standardized bench height. At least in my shooting career I have never found two ranges that agreed on the same height. Some guide lines I would use if building one for myself.

1. Should be low enough that you can go to the international ready position without hitting the bench.

2. Should be tall enough that you don't have to bend over to look thru scope.

3. Should be low enough you can see thru scope without getting on a ladder.

4. Should be wide enough for pistol box, towel/pad, water bottle, thermos, brass catcher and ammo.
    (ok, #4 is just wishful thinking)
5. I like a 30" bench for my 5'9"
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 10/23/2017, 8:37 am

LenV- 
Hope you're not drinking at the firing position.
Drinking/eating at the firing position is a no-no at most ranges around here.
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by Blsi2600 10/23/2017, 9:07 am

Only in NY.

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/23/2017, 7:25 pm

Match director furnishes cookies. I bring coffee and doughnuts to share. My scorer gets first pick. Smile
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Boris_La 10/23/2017, 7:59 pm

LenV wrote:Match director furnishes cookies. I bring coffee and doughnuts to share. My scorer gets first pick. Smile
Sh-h-h!
Don't let the secret of higher scores out.

Boris_La

Single_handed likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/1/2017, 1:01 am

A somewhat related question...

From NRA rules: "... skills required to shoot one-handed at 5.5-inch (14 cm) and 8-inch (20 cm) bullseye targets at 25 and 50 yards (23 and 46 m)...

Which NRA targets are used at each distance?  I found two NRA 8" targets.  My club uses the B-8 target.   It's probably obvious, but I wasn't able to find the specific targets used for each distance.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/1/2017, 9:06 am

The 50 yard target is the NRA B-6 target (8 inch black) and the 25 yard target is the NRA B-6 target (5.5 inch black),
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/1/2017, 9:35 am

Thanks!!!

The targets I was shooting at were NRA B-8.  I should start using the proper targets when I get home.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by JD Mahan 11/1/2017, 9:39 am

Wobbley wrote:The 50 yard target is the NRA B-6 target (8 inch black) and the 25 yard target is the NRA B-6 target (5.5 inch black),

Correction:

50 yd target is NRA B 6.

25 yd target is NRA B 8

JD Mahan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/1/2017, 9:48 am

Hmm, now I know why I couldn't find a comparison on the internet.  Trying to find images for each, with dimensions.  I found the page in the NRA rulebook, but I'd like to compare them side by side on my computer.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/1/2017, 9:54 am

Added later - found this:

http://www.indecorous.com/bullseye/rings.html

Not what I expected to see, if this page is correct.
Still trying to figure out how his page "works".
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/1/2017, 11:22 am

mikemyers wrote:...  Trying to find images for each, with dimensions...
Have you tried the taget companies?:

Competition Targets- Pistol, The National Target Company, Inc

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/1/2017, 11:38 am

Ed, yes, and thank you, but this is where I used to go to long ago - I forgot the name, and had to track it down:

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/bullseyepistoltargets.pdf

I like printing my own targets for practice.  When I posted the question, I was hoping to find two images I could view side by side, and compare.  Since the distance was double, I was wondering how close to "double" the size of the 50 yard target was.  I've never shot at a 50 yard target yet.  Just trying to get a feel for what it will be like.  I can't do much about anything until January, when I get home.  Again, thanks!!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/1/2017, 1:57 pm

Print them on these.  https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-5045/Laser-Labels/Laser-Labels-White-8-1-2-x-11  

Staples not required.  Good enough for practice.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 11/1/2017, 2:24 pm

Good price on official targets is pistoleer.com.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 11/1/2017, 2:33 pm

With regard to target height above ground: Target height should be measured by setting up a transit at about 55in above the firing line and set the target center at whatever height is level to that at both 25 and 50 yards. For example, at Gateway Jacksonville, the targets at 50 yards are only about 3 feet above ground due to up-sloping land.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m 11/1/2017, 4:13 pm

Wobbley wrote:Print them on these.  https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-5045/Laser-Labels/Laser-Labels-White-8-1-2-x-11  

Staples not required.  Good enough for practice.

seems like an expensive option.  Paying $30 for a box of 100.  If you buy 5 you get them at $21/100. Then you have to pay for the ink to print on them.  If you buy some B-8 repair centers from American target you pay $8.30/100 if you buy 500. Or $7.40/100 if you get a 1000.

I buy from Kruger and pay $7.8/100 buying a pack of 250 which lasts me a while.  These are high quality targets. Lucky for me they are local so I can pick them up when I order.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next