Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 S&W sizing / expander plug ?

4 posters

Go down

32 S&W sizing / expander plug ? Empty 32 S&W sizing / expander plug ?

Post by cuslog Fri Jul 13 2018, 11:33

Wondering if anyone is using an oversize expander plug for .32 S&W in a Walther GSP ?
Seems the Europeans make their .32 barrels .314 rather than .312 . Using a North American made die set, it would seem that the expander plug could / should be .002 larger ? Especially with a hollow base wadcutter, it would seem that it may squeeze down the base somewhat. Currently, I'm using the Lapua HBWC which seem to shoot OK (at 25M for me and ISSF is my main interest). They measure .314 at the base.
Or am I over-thinking this one ?
On a side note, the Lapua HBWC is cheaper than the Speer plinker up here in Canada.

cuslog

Back to top Go down

32 S&W sizing / expander plug ? Empty Re: 32 S&W sizing / expander plug ?

Post by PhotoEscape Sun Jul 15 2018, 14:02

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t9916-sw-32long-copying-the-hn-314-hbwc-for-reloading

If you are using Dillon press for reloading - you can find some pertaining information following this link.
I will have production funnels ready in a few weeks.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Sun Jul 15 2018, 16:02

You didn't mention what brass you are using.  With Lapua brass and resized .3145 Speers, I use a +3 Lee Sizing die, and now, one of Photo Escapes powder funnels (this is in a Dillon 550). I like using a larger sizing die, although I understand perhaps some (many?) don't resize at all.  When I used Fiochhi brass (GFL) I used a +2 sizing die due to different thickness of the brass. I don't remember the actual measurement of these dies, although one you call Lee. 

I'm not sure it will matter with the Lapua bullets, in my experience they were just OK.  The standard Speer Plinker bullets measure more like .3125 (not the .314 they are advertised as).

The pricing in Canada v the US is interesting.  in the US, the Lapua are twice the price,  14c ea v 7c for the Plinker:face:

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by cuslog Sun Jul 15 2018, 18:09

Greg;
Mostly Lapua brass - that I bought at a gun show, assuming that it was once fired - now I'm thinking its been fired many times because I get about 5 ~ 10% splitting with each firing. Some R/P (which I find thick walled) and some S&B which I bought as factory loaded rounds and haven't reloaded yet.
"+3 sizing die" - assume this means .003 oversize, I didn't know these were available, may be looking into that more.
I find the Lapua bullets going in fairly "snug" - makes me wonder if I'm squeezing them down some.
Yes, I've tried using "fire formed" brass (not re-sized) and it seems to work fairly well. I have a shop built machine rest (similar to a Ransom Rest). Fire formed did seem to shoot slightly better 25 round groups. Had feeding issues with the R/P fire formed brass - some are too fat to chamber, need to chamber check every round - doesn't happen with Lapua brass. 
Fire formed makes me wonder it its a bit too loose, I can push them in easily with finger pressure, just run them through the die to get a crimp. These were the ones which gave the best groups so far, though I just got my machine rest working and I am finding that there IS a learning curve to using one.
I just paid $189 CAD (145 USD) / 1000 for Lapuas, so it seems the Speers are high up here, maybe need to search around some more.
If I could get the Speers for the .07 US, I might look at the dies to "bump" them up to .314.

cuslog

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 Sun Jul 15 2018, 18:27

I currently use those .314 Lapua 98gr HBWC bullets, until I run out then I'm getting into the box of Speer HBWC. This is in a Benelli. I bought an "oversize" expander plug for my Lee Die from Midway USA. If memory serves me the original expander is .313 and the oversize expander will take you up to .316 if you go deep. I do not full length resize the OD of the case. I found if the OD is resized, the ID is too small and you actually swag the bullet, making it smaller than .314. I expand the case mouth just enough until I can insert the bullet by fingers pressure, about half way of the bullet length. Then seat with the press to get a consistent depth. I then "iron out" the OD of the loaded round and crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Finished rounds always pass the plunk test, and I've gone well over 500 rounds without a failure of any kind. It works for me. Major improvement on accuracy, but still not good enough for 50 yards with the Lapua bullets, that's why I'm switching to the Speer bullets. It also helps that the Speer bullets are less than half the price of the Lapua.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Mon Jul 16 2018, 01:12

Cuslog, Dillon and Hinterland, among others, sell the Plinker for $65/1000. I’ve purchased bullets from Canada with no issue, Is there an issue purchasing from the US?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Mon Jul 16 2018, 01:20

Mike, in my Benelli, using standard Plinkers in Lapua brass at 50 yd (Ransom Rest), I didn’t get great results. Unfortunately they aren’t  really .314. I find they work better in my MG4, which has a tighter barrel.

I’ll be curious if you get better results than with the Lapua.  Please post results when you get them.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 Mon Jul 16 2018, 07:42

gregbenner wrote:Mike, in my Benelli, using standard Plinkers in Lapua brass at 50 yd (Ransom Rest), I didn’t get great results. Unfortunately they aren’t  really .314. I find they work better in my MG4, which has a tighter barrel.

I’ll be curious if you get better results than with the Lapua.  Please post results when you get them.

I grabbed 20 of those Speer bullets that I just got in and measured the diameter. One measured .313. Five measured .3135. The rest measured .314. So if I sort by size, and make sure I use the .314 at the long line, I may get good results. We shall see.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Mon Jul 16 2018, 11:29

Cool. I have a very difficult time getting an accurate measurement on them, using calipers. I’m a retired accountant, I really have no history of using them, and it’s more of an art then I realized, at least measuring soft lead.  You may be onto something though.  My GSP has a custom barrel, .308 size versus .314 (faster twist as well). The limited testing I did with the standard spears had pretty good results. I didn’t do a lot of testing since I now have a swaging tool to bump the Spears up to .3145, so the bullets work well in my other 32s.

If you are interested, I could send you a few of the “bumped” speers to test and compare?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by cuslog Mon Jul 16 2018, 16:14

gregbenner wrote:Cuslog, Dillon and Hinterland, among others, sell the Plinker for $65/1000. I’ve purchased bullets from Canada with no issue, Is there an issue purchasing from the US?
Greg;
Thanks for the "heads up", I'll see if one or the other will ship to Canada. 
OR;
I have a PO box in Blaine, WA , which is just a short walk across the border and I'll clear them through customs myself. 
Passing through Canada Customs and declaring that I'm transporting "bullets" may become a bit of an "adventure"  Shocked or not, just depends who you get at the counter. Hopefully, they'll relax after I add that its not "live ammunition" and simply projectiles.

cuslog

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Mon Jul 16 2018, 18:11

Pieces of lead might be a better description.Laughing

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down