Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who uses a Dillon Square Deal B

+8
WV1911SHOOTER
spyer40
bgw45
lyman1903
Axehandle
DA/SA
jmdavis
zanemoseley
12 posters

Go down

Who uses a Dillon Square Deal B Empty Who uses a Dillon Square Deal B

Post by zanemoseley Thu Nov 01 2018, 20:44

I currently use 2 Hornady LNL AP presses, currently set up for 45acp and 38 special. I just got a GSP in 32 S&W and have been working on getting geared up for reloading. I was going to convert the Hornady set up with small primer but was reading some bad reviews about the shell plate they make for 32, apparently they allow the brass to float around too much. I want to make good ammo not just plinking ammo.

I was also leaving toward buying a Dillon powder measure so I could buy their X small powder bar for sub 2 grain drops. I also want to use the custom expanders made by Photoescape. So I figured why not just get a dillon dedicated to 32.

Initially I was looking at the 650 both due to the auto index and 5th station that can be used for a powder check, i feel both features help prevent squibs and double charges. Turns out neither the RCBS lock out powder die or the Dillon powder check die will work with such small cases & charges. So if the 5th station won't be utilized I'm considering going with the SDB for 32 S&W.

So anyone use the SDB? The 2 disadvantages I see for me is the press is a bit tight, feeding cases seems a bit cramped, my hands aren't that big so I should get over it. You also have to buy the proprietary SDB dies but I'm not too worried since I have 2 other progressive presses.

I also don't want the 550. I feel no auto index combined with no powder check is asking for problems with such small charges especially when you can't visually inspect the powder in the case.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Who uses a Dillon Square Deal B Empty Re: Who uses a Dillon Square Deal B

Post by jmdavis Thu Nov 01 2018, 20:53

I use it for 45. It has worked well. I load around  8k per year with it for the past 3. I didn't know that they made s&w dies for the sdb.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Thu Nov 01 2018, 21:42

I have a couple of SDB's as well as a XL650.

While some don't like the SDB's I like mine just fine, and use one for .40 cal. Once I get a rhythm going I can load damn near as fast on the SDB as I can on my 650 with the case feeder.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Thu Nov 01 2018, 22:00

Honestly I had always discounted the SDB but the more I look at it I think it's a solid machine if you don't need to reload rifle cartridges and have no interest in a case feeder.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Thu Nov 01 2018, 22:04

I picked up the one I use for .40 on eBay for $250 with the dies and it was basically new in the box. It had a glitch due to a loose screw. I'm sure someone bought it and had trouble getting it to function reliably and just got discouraged and dumped it on eBay.

The loose screw caused intermittent indexing and was a simple fix!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Fri Nov 02 2018, 07:33

Four SDBs here...One is a 32 S&W.  The 32 S&W loader comes from Dillon with an extra small powder bar.  Little beasts run pretty good.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Nov 02 2018, 08:16

Axehandle wrote:Four SDBs here...One is a 32 S&W.  The 32 S&W loader comes from Dillon with an extra small powder bar.  Little beasts run pretty good.

So one of the questions I had, does the SDB 32 S&W seating die do well with full wadcutters? I know their standard dies usually have a reversible seating stem whether you're using standard bullets or full wadcutter.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Fri Nov 02 2018, 08:27

With the Magnus Bullet Company 98 grain...
Who uses a Dillon Square Deal B Lxu5wya

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Nov 02 2018, 08:43

Looks good. Thanks for the picture.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 Fri Nov 02 2018, 10:29

I have one set up for .38 special, 
have used it a bit, but not as much as my Co Ax, (I've only loaded Keith style SWC, have not tried any midrange ammo on it yet)

typical Dillon machine, 
does what it is supposed to with no issues, 

(I have a 550 as well)
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bgw45 Fri Nov 02 2018, 12:39

I owm Dillon SDB, 550 and 650. Considering the OPs needs I would still choose the 550 if I was not going to install a case feeder. Every time I set a bullet it's almost automatic to advance the shellplate. As far as seeing the charge, it's a push between the SDB or the 550. Changing cals is much easier on the 550. Operating and maintaining the 550 is easier. JMHO

bgw45

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Nov 02 2018, 13:06

I just don't like the idea of not having any safeguards against a double charge. It only takes 1 time to get mixed up to blow your pistol up.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Nov 02 2018, 16:24

Axehandle wrote:Four SDBs here...One is a 32 S&W.  The 32 S&W loader comes from Dillon with an extra small powder bar.  Little beasts run pretty good.

I'm glad you mentioned the XS powder bar, I would have ordered one separately. I called to confirm and it indeed does come with a XS bar. I guess that's why they charge a $30 premium if you order the SDB in 32 S&W long. I just ordered one, delivered its $482 delivered. If I get "blue fever" I may replace my Hornady LNL AP's with 650's some time but the Hornady machines are a great bang for the buck.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by spyer40 Sat Nov 03 2018, 21:57

I had 3 buying my first one back around 2000.  .40, .45, and 380/9mm.  They worked well and loaded thousands of rounds over the years.  Traded all 3 for a 650 with a case feeder, dies, and all the quick change stuff to do .45 and 9mm last year.  They gave me essentially what I had in them on the trade.   I like the primer system better on the 650 and it is quicker/easier.  SDB's are solid units though

spyer40

Back to top Go down

Post by WV1911SHOOTER Tue Nov 06 2018, 04:41

I've had one for many years38-357-9mm never a problem. a guy that works for me along with his wife are high volume shooters and can't seem to wear their DSD out. They routinely send theirs back to Dillon every 20,000 rounds for a tune up. Rarely needs much in the line of parts

WV1911SHOOTER

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac2 Sat Nov 10 2018, 01:01

SDB has worked well loading 9 mm for Bullseye and IDPA.  However, need to run cases through Lee U die (90313) first to have them fit tight Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 that has red-dot.  Have larger Blue loader once used for 45 and 223, but it is in the cold shop.  SBD fits under the stairs!

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Sat Nov 10 2018, 11:38

zanemoseley wrote:I currently use 2 Hornady LNL AP presses, currently set up for 45acp and 38 special. I just got a GSP in 32 S&W and have been working on getting geared up for reloading. I was going to convert the Hornady set up with small primer but was reading some bad reviews about the shell plate they make for 32, apparently they allow the brass to float around too much. I want to make good ammo not just plinking ammo.

I was also leaving toward buying a Dillon powder measure so I could buy their X small powder bar for sub 2 grain drops. I also want to use the custom expanders made by Photoescape. So I figured why not just get a dillon dedicated to 32.

Initially I was looking at the 650 both due to the auto index and 5th station that can be used for a powder check, i feel both features help prevent squibs and double charges. have to buy the proprietary SDB dies but I'm not too worried since I have 2 other progressive presses.

Zane, re: the shell plate issue, is that applicable to certain brass, or a general issue?  Perhaps mixed brass?  I remember talking with Dillon before I purchased my 2nd 550, was considering either the SDG or a 650 as alternatives, and that was what was mentioned when I asked. 

Also, I was led to believe that the powder check feature on the 650 was a bit iffy when loading the super small charges for 32?

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Nov 10 2018, 12:21

I think the Hornady issue is just a design issue. I thought of buying the Hornady shell plate to confirm the issue but for several reasons I decided to just get the Dillon SDB.

Dillon confirmed their powder check was not designed to work with loads as light as we do in the 32 S&W. That made the 5th station on the 650 basically unused. I liked that the SDB has the auto indexing, I feel this is some insurance against squibs/double throws. I think the 550 is a solid press but I don't support using a 4 stage press (no powder check) that is manually indexing with light pistol charges where the powder level in the case is very low, I think it just invites problems. I think the 550 is more valuable as a rifle reloader or loading pistol loads with a large volume of powder, essentially impossible to double charge them.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Nov 10 2018, 12:51

Dillon's Powder Check has marginal usefulness on 650 or 1050, as all it does is confirming that there is a powder in the case and alleviating duds. I took all of them out of my tool heads, and installed instead bullet droppers from Mr. Bulletfeeder, - this is where SDB cannot replace XL650, and station 5 is a must.  I feel that bullet placement using Mr. Bulletfeeder on station 3 versus by hand on station 4 adds consistency to resulting ammo.  Needless to say, I can go fast without fearing for my fingers - loading is like shooting in cadence.  Manual bullet placement adds variable that must be registered by brain, and very often it doesn't happen fast enough, - I'm speaking for myself, obviously.
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Nov 10 2018, 13:00

I personally have no need for a bullet or case feeder. I simply don't shoot enough to need it. I shoot maybe 5000 rounds of 45 a year, I'm guessing on my Hornady I can load 400-500 an hour manually feeding brass and bullets, I've got a system when my left hand can pick up both at the same time while my right hand remains on the press handle. Now if you're worried you're losing accuracy to manually placing the bullet I would do some testing both ways to confirm this.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun Nov 11 2018, 10:30

PhotoEscape wrote:Dillon's Powder Check has marginal usefulness on 650 or 1050, as all it does is confirming that there is a powder in the case and alleviating duds...
AP
I don't have one, but I believe the powder check also checks for over charge, as well.  Someone else may verify or correct me, if my belief is flawed...

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sun Nov 11 2018, 11:03

Check for over charge and under charge...   Prevents gross errors...

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sun Nov 11 2018, 11:38

I will tell you this. I use the RCBS powder lock out die on my Hornady LNL AP presses and have caught several squibs, usually due to a malfunction in the powder measure. The more I've got the press tweaked it has mostly eliminated my issues, I can't recall how long it's been since my last error caught by the lock out die.

For that reason I always recommend a 5 stage press for beginners to allow a powder check. I don't particularly have anything against manually progressing presses but they're usually only 4 stage which won't let you use a check.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down