Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barrel Life for Stainless .45acp

3 posters

Go down

Barrel Life for Stainless .45acp  Empty Barrel Life for Stainless .45acp

Post by watercam 10/12/2019, 1:21 pm

Realizing that jacketed bullets are harder on barrels, what kind of round count might one expect from a bullseye barrel with one vs. the other. Have had good experiences with lead so far, just wondering if I am missing something.
Mike

watercam

Back to top Go down

Barrel Life for Stainless .45acp  Empty Re: Barrel Life for Stainless .45acp

Post by Tim:H11 10/12/2019, 1:56 pm

The gun will shoot loose before the bore ever shoots out. I could be wrong but when I hear of guns needing to be rebarreled it’s because of other issues and never the bore being worn out.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by watercam 10/12/2019, 2:56 pm

Oh good, thanks!

watercam

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 10/13/2019, 11:51 am

Keep in mind that my experience with this is limited to a total of my first wad gun.  Kart Barrel on a Springfield Loaded frame rebuilt to be a wad gun.

Initially, I shot a lot of jacketed and really hard cast (BN of 22+) with 4.4 WST. It was a 3" gun out of the RR, so nothing barn burning as far as accuracy. As most of my points came from TF & RF, the SF portion wasn't a priority. At 32,000 rds I put it on a RR again & the group had expanded to nearly 6", and had a new Kart barrel fitted. Towards the end of that 32k I finally figured out that hard bullets do not necessarily shoot as well as a soft (BN 9-11) that would expand & fill the grooves. I do still shoot some Zero 185 JHP with 4.6 BE for the SF stage of a few of the important matches, and at well over 50,000 rounds on this barrel, it is still holding 1 1/2" @ 50 yards with the jacketed load. And, with 4.0 clays and the Zero 200 swaged SWC will hold 2- 2 1/4" @ 50.

So just drawing from a sample of 2 barrels, 1 shot with a lot of very hard cast & jacketed bullets; and 1 with all but perhaps 1000 rds shot with 9-11BN softer bullets. Not a large enough sample to draw a conclusion, but it's what I've experienced personally.

No doubt some of our esteemed gunsmith gurus have a much larger sample to draw conclusions from and I would give more attention to their recommendations than mine.

Allen

Al

Carbide likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down