Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beretta 92 steel frame

4 posters

Go down

Beretta 92 steel frame  Empty Beretta 92 steel frame

Post by devildog Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:01 pm

Dumb question of the day:

Now that it is possible to get a Beretta 92 with a steel frame and slide (e.g., 92x Performance), could a good gunsmith fit the slide to the frame like a 1911 and avoid the "frame rail insert" procedure? Get 50 yard accuracy without the overhaul previously required?

I have not seen this discussed anywhere so I'm probably not seeing something obvious.
devildog
devildog

Back to top Go down

Beretta 92 steel frame  Empty Re: Beretta 92 steel frame

Post by mpolans Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:15 pm

Sure, but now that CMP has opened Service Pistol up to a bunch of other platforms, including 1911s in 9mm, why?  Unless you *really* just love the Beretta 92 platform.

mpolans

kc.crawford.7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:01 am

You'd still need the inserts and bushing.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:52 pm

You can get a steel frame, but it will not be oversize and the slide will be standard as well. So you'll probably wind up paying for some welding and machining anyway.  Any you'll probably need a barrel with the favorite twist rate of the day and have a tapered sleeve / cone bushing added too.  And there's still some fitting on the barrel bottom lockup to work on as well. So it will probably come out about the same as the work on a regular 92.  Still, the extra weight would probably be helpful.

Or, you could just get a 9mm 1911 as suggested above unless you just love the 92 grip as stated above.

I have both and it's really the trigger that makes the most difference for me.  I just like the 1911 trigger a little better (most days).  Still, I've shot 295's with the Beretta more than once (back when I could see better and my trigger finger was a lot younger). 

CR

CR10X

kc.crawford.7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down