Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Separating the pins

+13
noylj
mspingeld
David R
New2BE
Wobbley
chopper
bob finger
weber1b
zanemoseley
James Hensler
james r chapman
TonyH
jimsteele
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Separating the pins - Page 2 Empty Separating the pins

Post by jimsteele 9/28/2020, 6:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Brand new operator of a Frankford Arsenal tumbler here.
My first batch of really badly tarnished, 25 year old, once fired, .45 brass came out better looking than I expected.
I used a 1/4 tsp of lemon shine, and a dollup of Armor all soap/wax, and the supplied pins.
 Most of the pins got separated into my rinse bucket as I took the brass out of the bucket, but more than a few stayed in the brass to end up on on a large beach towel  (Hope my wife doesn't read this).

So looking toward the future, I know that if I keep doing things this way, I will be buying lots more pins.
How do you all separate / recover the pins ?

jimsteele

Back to top Go down

Separating the pins - Page 2 Empty Re: Separating the pins

Post by DA/SA 10/8/2020, 7:18 am

Never needed a magnet. Once the pins are in the bottom half of the media separator just pour off the water and dump them back into the tumbler.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 10/8/2020, 7:21 am

I have not had that issue yet. Once you have separated the pins from the cases by rotating in water, drain most of the water and then rinse the pins in clean water and drain again. I normally pick up the pins and drop them on a flat tray and then let them air dry prior to storage. The tool gets a little wet, but that is the nature of its use. Will the magnet tool eventually rust? Maybe...but I see no evidence of it just yet in the 1.5 years I've been using it.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 10/8/2020, 7:31 am

I'll add that I've never seen the need to dry stainless pins. Mine have be stored dormant and wet in the tumbler for a couple of years with no issues. I had a use for them a couple weeks ago and they were still clean and shiny.

I still prefer vibratory tumbling rather than stainless pins, as my vibratory tumbler is a bit more industrial than the usual ones sold for ammo use, but I did try pins for a short period.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2