Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic training questions

4 posters

Go down

Electronic training questions  Empty Electronic training questions

Post by thessler Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:40 am

Hi
It was recommended to me to buy an electronic trainer to improve dry fire and ultimately live fire.
My question is, are they really effective for bullseye training ?
The MantisX is only $99, and scatt is considerably more. I am not a gadget guy, don't need a bunch of extra stuff  to fool with.  If one of these would truly advance me no sweat I'll buy one otherwise I'll just keep doing what I'm doing . Which is a ton of dry fire thanks to the ammo shortage .
Thank you for any advice, Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Electronic training questions  Empty Electronic Training Questions

Post by NYKenn Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:01 am

I am not familiar with the Scatt system. I have the Mantis X. I find it helpful. I purchased it primarily for dry fire, but have done live fire also. It is not perfect. I have fired a clean TF (100-6x) with a Mantis "score" of 92, and a less than perfect target with a "score" of 98. Understand the "score" Mantis provides is a representation of trigger control, movement, etc. not an actual target score. I can also see that the Mantis can become more of a distraction in live fire by paying more attention to it than shooting. The feedback in dry fire is really the benefit of the Mantis. It can help to identify errors to correct that were not necessarily seen or felt. Allows correction of bad habits, not instilling them by repetition. 
Other than a phone or tablet/pad to download the App to there is no other equipment to buy.  I use my old cell phone with Wi-fi and Bluetooth enabled. Less distraction, interruption and no worry about battery life, etc.
Good luck 
Kenn

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Electronic training questions  Empty Re: Electronic training questions

Post by Ed Hall Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 am

Depending on how a training device is used, determines its benefit.  The use I always suggest as best, is to learn how to better read your sighting system by comparing what you saw to what the device "saw."  When they match, you are getting somewhere.  At this point, the device is no longer actually needed.

I also suggest looking for good behavior to repeat rather than bad behavior to correct.  Seek what you wish to find.

And, get away from score.  Look for an undisturbed hold pattern when the shot breaks, with the shot happening within the pattern.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

BE Mike and lakemurrayman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:07 pm

I had mine for a week. It is a good way to understand good behavior and repeat it. Also to distinguish bad behavior. Rinse, repeat.

Live fire trainng 22lr after Mantis for 4 days - first 5 shots

Electronic training questions  20201210

Last edited by Tripscape on Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:08 pm

And a few moreElectronic training questions  20201211

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content