Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a book for this

+5
Wobbley
mspingeld
S148
james r chapman
thessler
9 posters

Go down

Is there a book for this  Empty Is there a book for this

Post by thessler Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:05 am

Hi
I have been reloading  for two years,  but only have basic knowledge.  I am always reading this section and you guys talk about different crimps, bullets,powders and velocity.  I just put my bullet on top of some powder and the gun goes bang and I'm happy. I only shoot 50 ft so this works. But if I want to play with the big boys and gals I'll need to make something hit the paper at 50 yds.
I would really want to learn more in depth than just copying someone else's recipe .
So I'm wondering is there a quality book recommended to read to learn propper reloading,  specific to bullseye would be great ?
Thanks  Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Is there a book for this  Empty Re: Is there a book for this

Post by james r chapman Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:23 am

It’s all here, within the threads.

Play around with the search function.

Good luck!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

DA/SA likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by S148 Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:14 am

There is a summary of different loads with jacketed bullets at the link below, if that helps.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/loads-for-the-bullseye-shooter/99418

S148

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:18 am

Hi Tom. There's a lot of info on this forum about pressures, velocities, crimps, etc. and you should continue to read and absorb them, but, at your stage of shooting I would recommend you pick a pet load from the sticky. Either bench rest it or ask a local high master to test it in your gun to see if it groups and, if so, move your attention to the fundamentals section of the forum. That will take you a lot further than the elusive perfect load. Good Luck!

mspingeld
Admin

Vociferous likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:52 pm

In this book there are a couple of articles on loading for pistol accuracy.  One by EH Harrison and one by Alton Dinan.  They’re both a bit dated now, but the do cover the mechanics of loading for target pistol shooting a bit better than most off the shelf modern manuals.  The recipe data is getting old, powders discontinued etc, so I would confirm that data elsewhere, but the rest of the book is solid.

https://www.amazon.com/Handloading-Publication-National-Association-America/dp/B000XPWU1Y
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thessler Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Thanks 
I read and saved that article,  and ordered the book.
That should keep me entertained for a while. 
Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:04 pm

The LYMAN RELOADING HANDBOOK is quite good
Jack H
Jack H

Plunker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Just ask what others are using a loads, and that is a great starting location. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

And I am going to say, your aiming error will exceed the error of all but the worst ammunition. The ten ring at 50 yards is four inches.

Alibi's kill scores more than slightly less than perfect ammunition. If you go for the 80% accurate ammunition that is 100% function reliable, you will do better than having the 100% accurate ammunition that is 80% function reliable.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Follow standard Reloading procedures and concentrate on range time.
Shooter is fist, then gun, then bullet, then powder, then all the little tricks people think are important

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by thessler Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:11 pm

Thanks , I'm not lacking range time. I suspect I'm there more than most. I enjoy this sport and if I'm doing my own reloading I want to know what I'm doing  and why I'm doing it. Not looking for someone else's perfect load I want to understand reloading.  Same way as when I started shooting I wanted to understand how and why the gun goes bang. And now I do.
Thanks , Tom

thessler

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:45 am

You must have a pistol that is capable of taking advantage of quality reloads. Dave Salyer, passed along one of the loads that he and Al Dorman tested while working up the "Marine Load" when I told him I didn't have access to Vihtavouri 310. It is 4.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye under a 185 gr. Nosler JHP bullet. It is seated to about 1.20" COAL and slight taper crimp of .470" measured at the mouth of the case. I like Starline brass, but any uniform brass will do. I found that this load shoots very well at 50 yards from decent guns. From my machine rest tests and those of other club members, it produced 10 shot groups from 7/8" to 2". Others have substituted the Zero 185 gr. JHP bullet with good results. You very well may get acceptable groups from lead cast or swaged bullets with a lower charge. The ten ring of the outdoor slow fire and sustained fire target measures 3 1/8", so any .45 ACP gun that can shoot a 3 1/2" group is mechanically capable of shooting clean targets at both distances.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Schaumannk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down