Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame?

+14
Avalanche
GBDavisJr
TicTocer
Sc0
SilentAssassin
BE Mike
Webjak
bbh791
Olde Pilot
jglenn21
popchevy
rich.tullo
aub1957
cfirimar
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? - Page 2 Empty Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame?

Post by cfirimar Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks,
I see on Walther website that they have 'new' Hammerli Xesse SF models, 
I don't have the older Xesse models, but has some experience on 215 models. I am thinking about getting an Xesse or an SF model.

Wonder if anyone has experience on them, my questions are: 
1) I checked a couple forums, seems the original Xesse model is also made with steel frames, is this perception correct?
2) what are the improvements of the new SF models over the older ones?
3) seems many Xesse models has 3 dot sights, which are less desirable for bullseye disciplines, how do folks like their iron sights?

Thanks in advance!

cfirimar

Back to top Go down

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame?

Post by Avalanche Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:36 am

bbh791 wrote:There is no way a bore snake will damage a barrel.

Definitely!!!!

Avalanche

Back to top Go down

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame?

Post by WesG Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:19 am

I think the main boresnake issue is they get dirty and you're dragging who knows what thru the bore. And, rimfire priming compound is abrasive. The general downfall of smallbore rifle barrels is erosion in the 'throat'. But we're talking 100k rds or so.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:29 am

SilentAssassin wrote:
BE Mike wrote:
popchevy wrote:Took my IPSC apart to clean after over 1000 rds. I see no signs of wear on the slide notch, got the bore sparkling clean , greased it up and put it back together. Shot a personal best that evening. Wonderful gun !
I personally would never use a .22 cal. bore snake on the barrel of a target .22 pistol. I think you are doing more damage than good. As per Larry Carter, a good .22 pistol barrel doesn't need cleaning, only the chamber.

There are varying opinions on this.
Mine is such that a good 22 target barrel Does need cleaning. By not cleaning, you're asking for trouble down the line.
Here is why;

22 ammunition is probably the most dirty round you can chamber, then put a projectile down the barrel ( any barrel).
Technically lead is a lubricant. In theory, each shot you fire should lubricate the bore.
This is not the case.

If the Lead projectile was the only thing traveling the bore upon a fired shot, then yes, it would not only be cleaner, but it would also coat the bore, which to some extent , it does.
The blast behind the projectile and to some degree in front of the projectile creates soot, carbon, powder residue,,,, and what all else not......which all gets mixed into a super heated blast, in the bore. And the chamber.

The lead is laid down into the lands and grooves of the ( target barrel ) you guessed it, along with other previously mentioned, gunk.
Then the uncleaned gun is then put down, or into a safe  for storage. Over time , moisture can accumulate within the bore mixing in with the afore mentioned gunk.
Next thing you know, you put a bore scope in the bore and start looking around.............and low and behold, there is pitting in the bore of your nice target barrel.
I have seen this before,,,,,,,,,,A lot.........from folks who thought you never have to clean the barrels bore on a 22.

In other breaking news; people will fire copper plated rounds , buy the hundreds, if not thousands, never thinking twice about it.
On a hardness scale, copper is a 2.5 - 3, whereas brass is 3-4. Not much difference.
Yet people are afraid to put a bristled brass brush down a bore for cleaning.
Something about this makes 0 sense to me. To each his own.......of mice and men.
Larry Carter was a high master and knew more about Hammerli pistols than probably anyone in the United States. He never seemed to have any problems shooting high master scores with his Hammerli 215. I don't think I'm wrong following the advice of an expert. As I type this, I'm looking at a framed target from the first ten shots at a Frank J. Bickar Memorial Regional, I shot many years ago. Not a great x count, but by gum it is a clean target! Following Larry's advice worked for me and my Hammerli 208s.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:33 am

Other items of notice:
Xesse SF IPSC has interchangeable front sight, a two stage plunger adjustment for the trigger. (Allen head) and the extended safety lever.
Xesse SF Long has fixed front sight and a single adjustment ball detent for the trigger. (Flathead screwdriver)

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:56 am

Years ago when I was better, I shot an 867 and 887 (Practice) personal bests with the Xesse the gun won't hold you back.

Last edited by rich.tullo on Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Snappyobx Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:36 am

How does the offset aimpoint mount attach?Does it use the existing screw holes.I am looking at a sf expert but it does not have the 11 mm dovetail.

Snappyobx

Back to top Go down

Post by TicTocer Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:26 am

Red Feather and Champions Choice offer mounts that do not require removal for cleaning. Both look like Rube Goldberg contraptions to me. 
  I picked up an 11mm mounting plate for the IPSC SF. Mounted a Primary Arms (Sig) Red Dot. Usually shoot it a little better than the non SF Long. But ambient lighting makes a difference. In brighter light the iron sights are much easier. 
  If mounting a sight was a priority getting one with the 11mm dovetail would be my choice. 
  Gotten good at reinstalling dot to where it is close after cleaning. And clean barrel less frequently. Chamber brush every other trip, barrel gets pigged about every 500.

TicTocer

Sc0 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:13 pm

Snappyobx wrote:How does the offset aimpoint mount attach?Does it use the existing screw holes.I am looking at a sf expert but it does not have the 11 mm dovetail.
Do not get the expert get the base one the irons are plenty good and some like then better than the expert. Get the SF with the black slide. It is of a latter generation and I think the cleaned up a couple of issues in production and I think that gun is exactly the same as the Walther CSP sold in Europe. The SF is different than the older Xesse. Some parts changed such as the slide stop and the trigger button. In the older ones the trigger button was compatible with the 208. The new ones have a different length trigger button. 

To make the trigger on the base one more adjustable Red Feather has the new trigger button. I adjust mine to about 40 ounces and that gives me a 2 stage trigger with a distinct wall. 

I have a SF that Larry did and I find the trigger on the SF to be just as good. Also if you shorten the 1st stage too much you get FTF so leave it a little long.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by 96wa6 Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:49 pm

I just received one of these for a customer. I also shoot a Trailside, bought a decade or more ago, when they were from SIG.

NEW ONE: It was drop-shipped directly from Hammerli (and is listed on websites as an "XESSE SF"). The slide is marked "HAMMERLI STEEL FRAME" on the right side and "X-ESSE IPSC" on the left side.  (I haven't shot IPSC in a couple of decades — do they have a .22 category now?)

It has stuff attached to the thumb safety to make it much easier to put on and off. 

The barrel's top is grooved for .22 rings (3/8" dovetail, which I think is also 11mm.), which my Trailside also has. 

The trigger is vastly improved from my Trailside. On my Trailside, I had to install a Larry kit, which made it fantastic. The X-ESSE SF feels like Hammerli went to school on the Larry kit and duplicated it — the adjustments appear to mirror the Larry kit and the trigger pull is, again like a gun with the Larry kit, stupendous.

The new gun, IMHO, is also better looking, with a black slide and three vertical/angled groves in the barrel up front (looking like cocking serrations but, of course, there's no cocking going on up there), as opposed to my Trailside's plain barrel and two-tone finish; the slide has a gold-tone look.

The only thing I will ding the XESSE SF for is that the grips are generic in feel. You have to add good target grips like the red/black XESSE ones available from Hammerli (for a time, I hear they are discontinuing them).
Attachments
Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? - Page 2 Attachment
Old Trailside Sm.jpg Old TrailsideYou don't have permission to download attachments.(339 Kb) Downloaded 6 times
New XESSE Sm.jpg New XESSEYou don't have permission to download attachments.(455 Kb) Downloaded 20 times

96wa6

BE Mike and Snappyobx like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snappyobx Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:13 pm

So this gun is Stock from walther no trigger adjustments made and the trigger is that good?

Snappyobx

Back to top Go down

Post by 96wa6 Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:43 pm

Snappyobx wrote:So this gun is Stock from walther no trigger adjustments made and the trigger is that good?
If you're referring to the XESSE SF, Yes. I can not compare it to current Hammerli, Pardini or Benelli high-level target pistols (my trigger finger isn't that educated, but I am an Expert who has been knocking on the Master door for a couple of decades), but it is as good or better than my Trailside with the aftermarket kit designed and sold by Larry Carter before he passed. And the installation of the Larry kit required me to buy a weird-thread tap and do a rather involved procedure — not overly complicated but it was not for the casual shooter.

96wa6

Sc0 and Snappyobx like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snappyobx Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:47 am

So i shot a buddys 208s last night awesome gun!Not ready to make that jump yet.Would the 11 mm rail come off the x-esse to attach a picatanny ?I have read a few posts where the rings slid on the dovetail.

Snappyobx

Back to top Go down

Post by 96wa6 Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:09 am

Snappyobx wrote:So i shot a buddys 208s last night awesome gun!Not ready to make that jump yet.Would the 11 mm rail come off the x-esse to attach a picatanny ?I have read a few posts where the rings slid on the dovetail.
The X-ESSE SF we got has the dovetail machined into the barrel, so there's no need to remove anything. The barrel top ALSO HAS 3 HOLES DRILLED AND TAPPED for your Picatinny Pleasure. See attached photo.

FYI Y'all: This X-ESSE SF's trigger is a Euro 2-stage. My friend (who bought this one) tested it yesterday and shot it "very well" even though he prefers the American single-stage trigger of his S&W 41s. He is going to play with the adjustments to see if he can get it to be more like his 41s (which this gun is meant to replace - he's given up on getting his 41s to be reliable for him). I'll report back on his efforts.

Personally, when I went to the 2-stage on my Trailside, I shot better than with the 41 and Marvel it replaced...
Attachments
X-esse top SM.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(483 Kb) Downloaded 6 times

96wa6

Back to top Go down

Post by Snappyobx Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:34 am

So what is the picatanny rail part number that would screw down onto that gun??

Snappyobx

Back to top Go down

Post by 96wa6 Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:01 pm

Sorry, don't have that info. Call Hammerli USA and they probably have them, or can tell you.

96wa6

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:45 pm

Hammerli USA is basically Walther Arms in Fort Smith Arkansas, and they're quite helpful over the phone.

https://waltherarms.com/contact-us
https://hammerliarms.com/contact

A lot of the seemingly new features of these pistols are available for some time, but obviously Walther is paying more attention to the Trailside/X-esse/Hammerli line (a Good Thing). The IPSC safety, for example.

Even Larry's trigger took a similar approach, it used the second stage plunger from the Hammerli 208S, in addition to shortening the sear engagement by stoning the sear itself. With a heavy dose of Larry's special know-how sauce.
-TT-
-TT-

Snappyobx likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2