Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem

+5
RodJ
Kp321
Jon Eulette
chiz1180
L. Boscoe
9 posters

Go down

Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem Empty Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem

Post by L. Boscoe 11/4/2022, 7:42 pm

Finally got to the range to shoot my new Marvel conversion, on a Springfield Tactical frame. UD scope and shot great.
Only problem, mag would not release. Took some persuasion.  Next mag, no prob. dropped fine.   Next mag, would not drop,
Had to jam the receiver open and push the mag out from the top while madly pressing the release.  I quit.
Before I mess up a brand new setup, I would appreciate some wisdom: should I:
Wax or lubricate the mag and magwell?
Sand the offenders to slide easily?
Send the offenders back to the maker?

all opinions cheerfully accepted-if the answer is wax etc, which:oil or graphite or wax, for example

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem Empty Re: Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem

Post by chiz1180 11/4/2022, 8:20 pm

The same magazine or different ones each time? What make magazines?
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem Empty Re: Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem

Post by Jon Eulette 11/4/2022, 8:29 pm

I’d start by removing magazine release and seeing if magazines freely insert fully into magwell. Then compare holes in magazines where release catches them for issues. Also when fully inserted do they hit the extractor; slide locked back.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 11/4/2022, 10:59 pm

Jon has very good suggestions, I would like to add a couple of steps. Determine where the offending mag is dragging by coloring with a silver Sharpie and inserting the mag several times. The silver will be rubbed off on the high spots that can then be addressed with a file or sand paper.  On my Nelson, I had to put more clearance on the mag release since the plastic mag has a different radius on the front than metal mags. I then installed metal mag bottoms that Nelson footers from time to time. Makes the mags heavier and thus quicker to fall out.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 11/5/2022, 9:15 am

My marvel is a Bob marvel-marvel, so older than yours and might not apply. I ordered it with an extra poly mag. That mag came with a piece of sandpaper (220??) and instructions to sand it to fit, if it didn’t fit. Mine fit very tight. So I took my sandpaper and I sanded here, and I sanded there, I sanded in the morning, and I sanded in the evening, I sanded all over that mag until the magazine just slipped out of its own weight and no more. Nice no-jiggle fit. Perfect function. Maybe that helps?

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem Empty Marvel conversion and plastic magazine prob

Post by L. Boscoe 11/5/2022, 11:31 am

The mags are all from the Marvel distributor, FGW. I think Jon has it as the mag release is hell to get pushed in 
with these mags. Make life difficult, mess with guns.
Thanks to all.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Marvel 22 conversion and plastic magazine problem Empty Marvel conversion and plastic magazine prob

Post by L. Boscoe 11/5/2022, 8:17 pm

Kp321 wrote:Jon has very good suggestions, I would like to add a couple of steps. Determine where the offending mag is dragging by coloring with a silver Sharpie and inserting the mag several times. The silver will be rubbed off on the high spots that can then be addressed with a file or sand paper.  On my Nelson, I had to put more clearance on the mag release since the plastic mag has a different radius on the front than metal mags. I then installed metal mag bottoms that Nelson footers from time to time. Makes the mags heavier and thus quicker to fall outT
The mags are supplied by FCW, the Marvel distributor, all new.  I tried them at home one by one, and all fit tightly if you push them all the way in, and even reserving an inch and a half before complete insertion, they are hard to pull out, and none of the 5 drop-they all have to be pulled out.  Rather than spend a lot of my time on new stuff, I will ask FCW to fix the problem-I doubt I
am the first one.  If they offer a refund and I keep them, I might do that and then get out the flat plate sander and go to it.
Am I correct that the mag release is not an issue since I had fit problems below the release?  My Tripp 45 mags slide in and out
perfectly, and drop with little mag pressure from this 1911 frame.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 11/5/2022, 8:36 pm

You'll find that magazine well dimensions differ on different frames. I have two frames that I have used my marvel on and one needs plastic mags and the other needs metal mags in order for them to fit and function properly.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 11/5/2022, 8:59 pm

Easiest thing to do is to take out mag catch and see fit without it. As you do that take off grips to make sure screws do not go through the frame and toucb mags (ask me how I know). If there is still a bind it is on the frame. I would follow silver marker advice. If no bind then you know it is mag catch or screws and adjust accordingly.
FCW cannot account for all the minor differences in 1911 pistols, after all this is not a Glock )))

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 11/5/2022, 9:26 pm

DA/SA wrote:You'll find that magazine well dimensions differ on different frames. I have two frames that I have used my marvel on and one needs plastic mags and the other needs metal mags in order for them to fit and function properly.
Thanks I will try it on the Les Baer.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 11/7/2022, 6:07 am

Could be the grips check how far the mag is inserted before it meets resistance. I used to prep the mags with a 600 paper. 

If the mag is touching the grips on insertion, you can grind off a little on the base.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 11/7/2022, 11:49 am

DA/SA wrote:You'll find that magazine well dimensions differ on different frames. I have two frames that I have used my marvel on and one needs plastic mags and the other needs metal mags in order for them to fit and function properly.
which metal mags?

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 11/7/2022, 11:51 am

rich.tullo wrote:Could be the grips check how far the mag is inserted before it meets resistance. I used to prep the mags with a 600 paper. 

If the mag is touching the grips on insertion, you can grind off a little on the base.
turns out my Les Baer will drop 3 of the 5 without a problem, the other two not a big problem, I think  bit of sanding will fix them.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 11/7/2022, 7:32 pm

I have a dedicated Caspian lower done for me by Jon Shue and I have two Marvel uppers, I could not get either of the uppers to run reliably with plastic or Colt Ace magazines, I tried the EGW mag release and adjusted the Colt mags to Marvel specs. Finally, I discovered those German made mags. I think they are GSG. The gun is close to 100% as you can get now.

Regarding your magazine binding issue. As mentioned by others, mag release, grip screws are a good place to look. You might try dismantling the gun's lower completely if the mags still bind after removing the mag release catch. There is a possibility the trigger bow may be what the mags are dragging on when the mags are inserted and removed. Actually, you can simply take a magazine after the trigger has been removed and see if it passes through the trigger bow without making contact.

My $0.02 worth or it may be worthless.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down