Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triple K magazine problem

+2
cdrt
L. Boscoe
6 posters

Go down

Triple K magazine problem Empty Triple K magazine problem

Post by L. Boscoe Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:30 pm

I got 5 new mags from these folks, and proceeded to load them in anticipation of going to the range.
They loaded fine, but refused to go in the pistol. Ditto my backup pistol.
After an afternoon of oil, profanity and a fair amount of muscle, one is now ok with the main gun.
The others will go in but don't count on getting them out.
I have older SW made mags, and measured them against the new ones.  No real differences, which makes no
sense.  I am wondering if the guns need some adjustment or such?  The main pistol has recently been completely disassembeled and cleaned by the gunsmith, so I don't see maintenance as an issue.  Len said to
check the grips, which I did and they are not at fault.
These are nice looking blued mags with metal followers, seem to be good quality.
I am pretty sure TPK will exchange them, but for what?

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Triple K magazine problem Empty Re: Triple K magazine problem

Post by cdrt Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:25 am

One of the guys here, got two of them. They both work just fine, so hard to say what is wrong.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Triple K magazine problem Empty Triple K Mags

Post by jjfitch Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:30 am

Measure the width of mags at the top (feed lips) that do fit! It might be necessary to squeeze the top in a padded vice to get them into spec! I have to this to most of my 9-10 round 9mm mags once in a while. The spring pressure after many uses cause the feed lips to "grow"!
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:54 am

Triple K magazines are like ProMags.

They generally turn a reliable firearm into something else. It’s a shame, because they manufacture magazines that purport to fit many discontinued handguns, but they tend not to fit without major work.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:58 pm

I’m not a gunsmith nor did I stay at a holiday inn express last night. BUT!  I almost lost my mind over a SW M52 magazine. Out of 6(?) mags, the one wouldn’t slide home into the mag well without meeting a fair amount of resistance at about 2/3rds of the way.  Then it wouldn’t come out without resorting to a hammer and screw driver. I was certain that I’d break something.

Long and short, the problem was the trigger stop screw. It was a few thousands too long — such that the tip of the screw reached into the mag well and dragged on the front of the mag. The trigger stop screw had been set to barely allow the trigger bow to reach the sear and release the hammer.

That same problem also caused the hammer to follow… the sear tip had been bashed by the half cock safety notch because the trigger bow didn’t rotate the sear far enough out of the way. After locating a replacement sear on fleabay and filing the trigger screw tip back maybe .005 or so, the stars aligned and all became right with the world.

No wonder my father found it supposedly “unfired” and in mint condition in the 1970’s. Guessing with it left the factory that way or some cowboy wanted the “best” trigger possible and then had mag problems and f’d up the sear in the process dry firing.

Check the trigger stop screw to see if it’s dragging on the problem magazines.  It’s almost imperceptible and took me a lot of head scratching to find the interference.

RodJ

jmoore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AC Baker Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:27 pm

Going along with what RodJ said if it is not the trigger stop screw, take the frame down to a bare frame. See if the mags will then go in. If they do start reassembling until you find what part they are dragging on.
Hard to imagine it's your frame. Old mags go in fine, new mags jamb up. Try a different manufacturer, new magazine.

AC Baker

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:21 pm

I like the idea of trigger screw-it fits a lot of my problems.  I already
tried without grips, that did not help.  I can check on that now, although TPK has agreed to take em back, I hate to lose a battle with
a piece of tin.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Triple K magazine problem Empty Spot on!!!

Post by L. Boscoe Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:08 pm

RodJ wrote:I’m not a gunsmith nor did I stay at a holiday inn express last night. BUT!  I almost lost my mind over a SW M52 magazine. Out of 6(?) mags, the one wouldn’t slide home into the mag well without meeting a fair amount of resistance at about 2/3rds of the way.  Then it wouldn’t come out without resorting to a hammer and screw driver. I was certain that I’d break something.

Long and short, the problem was the trigger stop screw. It was a few thousands too long — such that the tip of the screw reached into the mag well and dragged on the front of the mag. The trigger stop screw had been set to barely allow the trigger bow to reach the sear and release the hammer.

That same problem also caused the hammer to follow… the sear tip had been bashed by the half cock safety notch because the trigger bow didn’t rotate the sear far enough out of the way. After locating a replacement sear on fleabay and filing the trigger screw tip back maybe .005 or so, the stars aligned and all became right with the world.

No wonder my father found it supposedly “unfired” and in mint condition in the 1970’s. Guessing with it left the factory that way or some cowboy wanted the “best” trigger possible and then had mag problems and f’d up the sear in the process dry firing.

Check the trigger stop screw to see if it’s dragging on the problem magazines.  It’s almost imperceptible and took me a lot of head scratching to find the interference.
You are my hero-I filed the trigger stop screw and voila 4 of the 5 slid right in. The 4th is beyond help-it won't even start in the mag well-it is goin back, the others will be a project.  Thanks a ton!

L. Boscoe

Amanda4461 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:19 pm

This makes me happy.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down