Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just how powerful is a large rifle primer?

5 posters

Go down

Just how powerful is a large rifle primer? Empty Just how powerful is a large rifle primer?

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:00 pm

Just how powerful is a large rifle primer? 12e43710Just how powerful is a large rifle primer? 3efb0010
A friend shared this cartridge with me. Was fired in predecessor to H&K 91. The brass case has NO primer hole. The force generated by the primer forced the cartridge forward hard enough for the shoulder of the casing to embed into the fluting in the chamber. The primer was destroyed.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Just how powerful is a large rifle primer? Empty Re: Just how powerful is a large rifle primer?

Post by blindshooter Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:56 am

Hi Jon,
Hope you're doing well.
Thanks for sharing!
After all the years of reloading I finally set off a LP primer last year. I use a 1050 for pistol mostly .45acp. I had removed the pocket swage rod to use a M die in that station and a small pistol primer pocket case sneaked in somehow....without the swage rod in place I didn't notice anything until the explosion. Lucky only the one primer and not the whole tube.
I was really impressed with the noise! Took me a while to get the press apart to pry the "ringer" off the primer seat stem.
I always wear glasses, maybe I should use hearing protection as well.....

And yes the swage rod is back in place.

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Just how powerful is a large rifle primer? Empty Re: Just how powerful is a large rifle primer?

Post by RodJ Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:32 am

Wow, that is very “not cool”. Hope the shooter reports the lot number to the manufacturer.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:41 pm

It had good neck tension !

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:50 pm

Zero; one on.
john bickar
john bickar

robert84010 and Michael C like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down