Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why the white frame on the rear sight of S&W revolvers

4 posters

Go down

Why the white frame on the rear sight of S&W revolvers Empty Why the white frame on the rear sight of S&W revolvers

Post by mikemyers Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:58 pm

Rear sights on many S&W revolvers are available in all black, or with a white frame line around the cutout.

Was wondering (before I make it vanish with a black overlay) what is the reason for having this white line?

Seems to me that there are only two things to do with the sights - keep the tops of the front and rear sight level, and. keep the gap between the  rear sight and front sight equal on both sides.

I'm thinking that white line is just a distraction from what I need to see.  Am I missing something?

(The specific gun in this case is an old S&W Model 28, which after what seems like a lifetime, I'm finally comfortable with.)

(Hickok45 shoots this gun with either hand, single action or double action.  Most of the time he hits what he's aiming at.)

(And I should add that for years, I shot this gun "center hold".  I decided this past Monday I'm not good enough for that, so I switched it back to sub-6-o'clock hold.)

Why the white frame on the rear sight of S&W revolvers Img_6714

Sorry for the poor focus, but this is the best I could do with my iPhone.  I can improve on the white frame, but why?  I think it should be black.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Why the white frame on the rear sight of S&W revolvers Empty Re: Why the white frame on the rear sight of S&W revolvers

Post by james r chapman Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:04 pm

Contrast for quick sight acquisition.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why the white frame on the rear sight of S&W revolvers Empty Re: Why the white frame on the rear sight of S&W revolvers

Post by Wobbley Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:10 pm

Primarily a reference for low light conditions.  Made little sense then, even less now.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by faraim Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:27 pm

Place the red block (front sight) in the white box and press the trigger.
faraim
faraim

shooterer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down