Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conversion Extractor Up-Date

2 posters

Go down

Conversion Extractor Up-Date Empty Conversion Extractor Up-Date

Post by Froneck 7/21/2023, 8:21 am

Ordered and received flush type 1911 extractor from Caspian. Not sure what to do with it! Didn't think at the time but 1911 is rimless and under-cut groove for extractor is not in the chamber so barrel is not slotted for the extractor.
 Caspian flush extractor is .187" wide, Nelson extractor is .074" wide (typical width of .22 extractors) Hook is very short since strength is developed with width. Has flat that extends about .075 back" from the hook (best I can measure with digital caliper until I get to my shop and use compatator). I guess I can put the pivot pin hole so that it's will fit a .040" .22 rim. Hook to front most of the extractor is about .050, starts wit 45° forward angle about .045" long to total length of the hook that is about .270". Seems that if I cut a 45° in the barrel.
 I like the extractor, it will make an interesting project to get it to fit in the space I have on the .22.
 Any suggestions?
 Might do the extractor last, get the firing pin in, have both weights of firing pin springs on the way from Wolff as well as a 5 and 6lb variable rate recoil springs. Have 7lb and up standard type recoil springs. Probably test the gun without extractor. Need to complete my spring tested so I know what I'm doing. What seemed to start out as a simple Nelson modification is getting to be quite a bit of work!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Conversion Extractor Up-Date Empty Re: Conversion Extractor Up-Date

Post by DA/SA 7/21/2023, 10:09 am

Just browsing .22 extractors turned this up.

https://zrtacticalsolutions.com/shop/firearm-parts/gsg-sig-1911-22/gsg-1911-22-tool-steel-extractor

Just another example to ponder.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 7/21/2023, 11:49 am

Thanks DA/SA! Extractor ordered and on it's way! Should be able to make one out of the 2. I was thinking of putting the Caspian extractor on my surface grinder and reduce it to .125 thick. Was drawing it up on AutoCad. But will wait until GSG extractor arrives.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 7/28/2023, 2:22 pm

GSG extractor arrived, looks good. Didn't come with the pivot pin or the spring. I think .080 pin for the Caspian will work. Have all the spring kits Brownells sells so I'm sure I can find a spring or the Caspian spring might work. Been working on recoil spring guide and firing pin. That and getting a customer job done so as to make some money to complete my project. After completing the firing pin I plan to reduce the top of the slide starting at the extractor slot and above by shortening the width and rounding it. I put a new 1911 Caspian slide on my 1 pound scale. It was 14oz, naked no firing pin or extracor or sight attachment. My tool steel slide at this time naked is 7oz. Might trim down to 6oz or less. Didn't weigh Nelson slide it was on my Ball Gun frame for barrel testing. Barrel has been removed and set to my son so I'll compare weight with extractor and firing pin.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 7/28/2023, 2:40 pm

Froneck wrote:That and getting a customer job done so as to make some money to complete my project. 
So true!

I take on certain jobs just to finance my shooting endeavors.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down