Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sig Sauer 1911 questions

4 posters

Go down

Sig Sauer 1911 questions Empty Sig Sauer 1911 questions

Post by boisepaw 12/26/2023, 8:52 am

I didn't see anything real recent so I thought I would start a new thread...

I have two slightly used Sig Sauer 1911's coming in the next couple of days.  One is the Sig Sauer GSR model in 45 ACP and the other is the Sig Sauer MAX (Max Michel) model in 9mm.  

1)  Anyone have any experience with these for out of the box accuracy?

2)  Experience with switching the 9mm to a 38 Super.  Several years ago someone posted a question about (supposedly) Sig 38 Super production barrels readily available.  A couple of days ago I purchased one described like that for $50.  But I am hard pressed to find out whether Sig ever produced a 1911 in 38 Super.

3)  Sig doesn't sell their slides...at least not to me in a phone call last week.  Anyone know what slides one of my 1911's might take if I wanted to build up a dedicated 38 Super slide?

boisepaw

Back to top Go down

Sig Sauer 1911 questions Empty Re: Sig Sauer 1911 questions

Post by RoyDean 12/26/2023, 10:11 am

Once again, I will burst your bubble. SIG make good guns. I have owned many. They look great, handle well and hold their value - good, cause they are not Bullseye guns and I sold them all on!

Most SIG 1911's are actually stainless steel with clever hi-tech coatings to whatever shade the marketing requires. Even some very expensive real Bullseye gun makers use SS, but, AFAIK, the serious gunsmiths prefer to use carbon steel.

Can one of those "consumer market" SIG's be upgraded to the level of accuracy and reliability needed for serious Bullseye competition? I'm sure that they can, but if you ask any of the serious Bullseye gunsmiths their opinion I am very sure that they will not advise you to buy a SIG (or a Kimber, or current production Colt, or RIA, etc.).

I even spent the money having Dave Salyer upgrade a SIG 9mm TACOPS to Bullseye spec - it shot well - but I sold it on for other reasons.

As for the 38 Super drop in barrel. Well, I even bought one of those back in the day, but you actually then most likely have to acquire 38 super comp brass and load them yourself. Been there, done that!

Ho hum!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 12/26/2023, 11:04 am

The hand full of SIG 1911s I encountered were "series 80" internals. For me this is a deal breaker as they are harder to correctly reassemble when cleaning. These parts can also cause problems with trigger feel as well.
chiz1180
chiz1180

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by boisepaw 12/26/2023, 11:27 am

chiz1180 wrote:The hand full of SIG 1911s I encountered were "series 80" internals. For me this is a deal breaker as they are harder to correctly reassemble when cleaning. These parts can also cause problems with trigger feel as well.

That makes a lot of sense to me.  And that makes them a lot harder to try to do a DIY sort of project.

The internet is a blessing and a curse isn't it?  

Just this last weekend I became both a medical doctor and an expert gunsmith just by browsing the internet until two in the morning!

I was kind of avoiding the Sigs but ended up running across enough shooters and videos that suggested a pretty high level of accuracy...so I figured I would take a chance.

Who knows...next week they both might be back up on Gunbroker for someone else to try them out.

boisepaw

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 12/29/2023, 11:00 am

Sig is in the camp of if you have it give it a try. Most any decent 45ACp will take you to sharpshooter or expert. As for 38 Special. There are 3 styles of feed ramp and get the one that matches your 9mm and order a replacement from KKM have the bushing replaced. No need to get a new slide. 

Series 80 will never give you the 100% trigger job that matches your preference, however if the trigger is decent you can adjust the sear spring and it down to #4 hopefully with 100% safety. 

I have seen guys shoot well with Series 80 guns so there is no reason to think the gun will hold you back. 

I believe the SIG has an external extractor , that might be better for 9mm/38 special.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down